lbs Trigger pull

Cornhusker

Long Time Member
I was just curious on what some of you that shoot a lot have your rifle triggers set at? I usually put a Timney on a rifle when I buy it, the exception is my Weatherby .300 wsm. Which I didn't replace since it was under .75 MOA. It just doesn't feel quite right although it tests at my usual 4.00 lbs that I use on my hunting rifles. It groups well and I'm debating on replacing the trigger it doesn't feel as comfortable. It feels like I'm pulling it rather than squezing it before it breaks. A lot of you guys have a lot of expertise on this stuff give me a suggestion.

Thanks nope don't want anyone's hunting hole info.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-17-12 AT 09:48AM (MST)[p]About 3 1/2# to 4# and I always take my glove off in a hunting situation before the shot.

The more I shoot, the lighter I like the pull. Most of my guns have Jewel triggers, they are expensive but once you have one, you will love it. Mine are all set around 2 lbs.

+1 to Buzz
Hunting big game rifles should be at about 2.5-3 lbs BUT YOU'D BETTER PRACTICE WITH IT BECAUSE MOST GUYS THINK THEY'RE LIGHT TRIGGERS. Most rifles are set at about 5-8lbs nowdays so a good, crisp 3 lb trigger will feel sweet and light.
Varmint rifle and target rifles should be much lighter BUT YOU'D BETTER HAVE A HIGH QUALITY SINGLE STAGE OR SET TRIGGER IF YOU WANT IT UNDER 1 LB.
Zeke
PS: To me rifle shooting is all about trigger control regardless of the type of shot or hunting conditions.

My gun smith calls it his cold weather trigger sets it a 2.5 to 2.75. Seems to work good for me. Not to light that its scary but nice and crisp.

Timney at 2#

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

On a hunting rifle that may be used in very cold weather, gloves on, I prefer a trigger set at 2.5 to 3 pounds. light enough for good accuracy shooting, but not so light you have to worry about accidental discharge.

My 25-06 and 300 mag are both set at 3 pounds and have shot 1/2 inch groups with them. No reason to have the pull lighter and risking a accidental discharge.

RELH

+1 on Timney triggers. Easy to install myself and good triggers. If a factory trigger doesnt feel good, has creep, or wont adjust well, I buy a Timney if possible.
I prefer 3 lbs on my hunting rifles. Varmits 2-2.5 I like. Even though a good wide trigger with no creep and a clean break feels acceptable at 4-5 pounds IMO.

Thanks guys after I posted I adjusted it down to 3 lbs and just got done shooting it feels a lot better I'm still not sure if I'm going to install a Timney or Jewell but it is a lot better. 4 lbs seem to feel a lot different on a factory rather than a Timney. No creep and it seems to break better now. Thanks again.

DO NOT set it too light. I set my Jewel on my custom 7 mm mag at 1 pound. It shot great off the bench. The problem came when I jumped a big buck up in Wyoming at 40 yards. I put 3 rounds in the dirt faster then I could say WTF. Every time I chambered a round, shouldered the rifle and touched the trigger the dam thing went off. Needless to say I missed that buck. I went back to my truck and turned it up to 3 pounds which is about right for me.
Wes

LAST EDITED ON Jul-17-12 AT 03:47PM (MST)[p]Yep, that low pull on a hunting rifle is sort of asking for that or an accident to happen. That's why I really think anything below about 3# in a hunting situation, unless you are set up in a blind or something like that, is sort of asking for bad things to happen when the old heart gets to pumping compared to bench shooting paper targets.

Cold weather and/or a little dust can cause a BIG problem if the trigger is set too light (with some triggers) on a hunting rifle.
Nobody gets all miffed if a prairie poodle gets away, but if a big buck is lost because of a trigger issue there's going to be tempers.
Make sure you butt bump test and slam-fire test the gun before heading to the field.
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Jul-17-12 AT 06:36PM (MST)[p]IMHO that's perfect for an accident to happen in most hunting situations!

Jewel at 2 lbs. Breaks like glass.

One thing to consider is many of the factory triggers like remington, when adjusted at low poundage can and will slam fire.

Might not get a reply to this question but I was wondering if anyone would post the retail price for a new Timmey trigger and a Jewel trigger? Cowtag

LAST EDITED ON Jul-17-12 AT 09:11PM (MST)[p]A Timney is going for about $115 to $135 and I think a Jewell is going for around $200 give or take.

Any trigger that is crisp and no creep at 2.5 to 3 lbs is fine, for hunting. Over three, at longer ranges, is bothersome.

Targets and varmits 1 to 1.5 lbs.

3.0-3.5 lbs is what I feel comfortable with in a hunting rifle.

zero travel/creep with a crisp break is more important to me than the difference between 2.5 lbs and 5 lbs is.

To each his own I guess. Just be extremely careful at less than 3 lbs.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom