Layering up....whats your secret to warmth???

M

MN270WSM

Just seeing what everybody wears to stay warm on those really cold blustery days....Right now I use a Gander Series Berber type fleece with wind stopper for my outer layer, and I usually have 4 or 5 layers beneath that....Whats your secret for layering?Can't kill em from the couch!

Bottoms; polartec underwear, then gortex pants, then carhart dungarese. If its wet out I'll reverves the carhart and gortex pant. If its really REALLY cold the carhart bibs come out.
Upper; polartec underwear, long sleeve T shirt, chamios (sp) outer shirt, old liner from a waders jacket, gortex jacket, finally the duck bomber gortex/wind stopper parka.
Feet; thin polyester socks, then a wool sock, finally a pair of lacrosse knee boots.
Hands; a polyester liner then a kinco's leather work glove.
Then it never friggen fails, I get all dressed and then I have to pee...

Al

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-10 AT 09:02AM (MST)[p]Never fails, once you get all dressed up always have to pee!!

Polartec underwear, then another pair of heavier polartec underwear with a light fleece lining, then a windproof pant. On top I have a couple of polartec long sleeve high collar , then my normal long sleeve camo shirt then a windproof jacket with a fleece liner. I also carrie a down vest for the extra cold days and will put than on under my fleeced lined jacket

I do not go anywhere without my trustee beenie on my head, and extra gloves for my hands.

YOUR FAT!! DON'T TRY AND SUGAR COAT IT OR YOU WILL EAT THAT TOO!!

I wear poly long underwear top and bottom. Wool pants. Fleece pullover, and wool shirt. I have an uninsulated duck coat I wear if its really cold, and if its REALLY cold, I wear a heavier coat to replace the duck coat.

With just the underwear, wool shirt, and fleece pullover, I can handle down to about 20 degrees lion hunting as long as I walking (usually am), and sometimes have to take at least one layer off. I stayed out a night last winter with only that on and a small fire all night. I survived and not hypothermia or frostbite.

Oh and wool or poly socks with 400 gram boots.

Later,

Marcial

I don't wear any thermo bottoms, too hot, just carhart pants, wick layer and wool sock on top. For the upper half, thermal, then t shirt, then fleece, then carhart coat with hood. If I need more, theres always room for a hoodie but thats only if I am just going to watch a clearing until dark. I don't bundle up too much because I usually light a fire mid day to stay warm or dry out the boots while I am waiting for the evening hunt. Leave in the dark, come back to camp in the dark. Only way to hunt.

I wear cotton thermal underwear and wool shirts and pants..if I get cold-I go uphill...get too hot-stop and rest...did buy some underarmour this year...LIKE A LOT!

under armour under wool, top and bottom. fleece or sitka jacket on top. avoid cotton at all costs. if you are climbing mountains, you need to dry your sweat or you are in trouble. wool/under armour allow for this while keeping you comfortable down to 0 or so.

Core layer is Underarmor top and bottom.

On bottom I use light wool pants and if needed lightweight wind/waterproof pull-over pants that can be compressed down to the size of a tall boy. These work very well for cutting the wind when glassing at first light.

For my top layer this year I bought a Marmot 800 count down jacket that weights 12 ounces and loved it. The down jacket along with a wind/waterproof shell jacket can withstand temps well below freezing.

For my feet I use thin liners with smart wool socks

PolyPro underwear. Then layer on a tee shirt, a hooded sweatshirt and a button up hunting shirt. Carhart unlined bibs and light coat and if it gets real cold, I climb in a my Cabelas insulated bibs.

Anything colder than that, I stay in the truck and play Yatzee, because I have too many clothes on to shoot anyway!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom