Late 1800s

justr_86

Long Time Member
Given a choice would you rather live now, or the late 1800s? Either in a city or as a cowboy.

Given right now I'm not by any means a cowboy I think I would rather grow up back then, out west.

What do you think?

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Late 1800's in the Bitterroot Range of Montana or Idaho. Could not Imagine what the West looked like back then

>Late 1800's in the Bitterroot Range
>of Montana or Idaho.
>Could not Imagine what the
>West looked like back then
>
Its easy, imagine no buildings, and substitute Indians for the Mexicans.

2a0fcsk.gif

As glamorous as the Old West may seem I don't think I would trade now for then. Now if I could do a little jump in jump out with a time machine sure. The following are a list of reasons in no particular order why the 1800's would really not be that cool. I think there are very few folks who could make the switch, assuming it could be done, and happily survive.

Polio, small pox, mumps, measels, yellow fever, TB, ect.

No electricity

High speed communications = pony express

Cutting edge medicine = man who calls himself professor snake oil

Highly likely your wife and or child will perish at birth

Highly likely any child surviving birth will not make it to age 10

Run to a non climate controlled outhouse in the winter and freeze

Run to a non climate controlled outhouse in summer/smell broiled poo

Non climate controlled outhouse tissue is either Sear's or pine cone
Playing cards and getting drunk loses it's appeal after awhile.

When you get bored of playing cards and getting drunk you can always go play cards and get drunk for entertainment

No ice, no fridge, no freezer, very little fresh food of any kind
Very little leisure time

I'm sure there are plenty of others. In my mind the bad outweighs the good when you get down to brass tacks.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I would do late 1800's as long as I could have the conviences of a modern high power rifle and my Mathews bow, possibly a fully auto AR-15 to keep the pesky bandits and hostiles away.
WVBOWAK

Oh...one more for sure. Imagine living in a time when people take a bath or quarterly let's say. No deodorants.

BODY ODOR! That would be reason enough by itself.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

1911....+100.....just the lack of electricity alone is more than enough to discourage me.

3/4 of us would starve to death, tough as we THINK we are!

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

>Tony257, LOL!
>
>Don't forget life expectancy was only
>about 45-50 back then too.
>
>
>Eel

You and Kilo sure beat those odds! :)

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I'll stick with today too. Life can be hard enough even with the modern items we have now. Heck just being able to poop inside the house when ya got a case of the runs is enough to convince me.

Well 1911 when you put it like that....

Medical technology alone I wouldn't be here, my mom would have died when she had me. My brother wouldn't have made it either.

If I did, I wouldn't have my youngest weston...

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I'd love to give western Colorado a try in 1950. Might make a couple of real estate investments for my grandkids while I'm enjoying the good old days.

>I think I would jump back
>50 years. That way I
>could grow up hunting with
>Kilo and eel.

You would of had to jump back farther than that if you wanted to hunt with them in their prime. :)

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I'm just enough near-sighted that I don't think I could have survived very long back then. Extended-wear contact lenses are a beautiful thing...

Ya know another observation is that in another 200 years folks will look back and wonder how we survived without modern comforts and draconian medical practices. :) Funny how everything is relative to what you know and what you become used to. Of course this is true based on the assumption that the globes does not undergo some unforeseen political or physical disaster sending it back to the stone age.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

> Of
>course this is true based
>on the assumption that the
>globes does not undergo some
>unforeseen political or physical disaster
>sending it back to the
>stone age.
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

seeing what is happening around the world I sometimes wonder if this isn't where we are headed today. Almost like rebooting the earth.

If you want to feel what it like living like that, head down to the Najavo Rez and live in one of those Abobe huts that has a dirt floor, a outhouse a 100yds away, no lights, a wood fire, no T.V, no electric, no wants or worrys. hell if the pickup was out front with all the other cars you would be in the 1800's.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Even with all the draw backs that have been mentioned , I think I would have loved it . I often think about a simpler time , and think I was born a hundred years to late .

My granddads were born in 1879 and 1881. I heard enough from them to know I'm glad I wasn't born back then.

Don't forget the advances in birth control and antibiotics. Venereal disease was a different commitment back then. It was a different time for sure. Think of the people you know who would be nothing without a tanning bed, implants, hair color and teeth whitener. Not mentioning any names. Just saying...

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!
And a good BBQ!
I am Medicine And I am Poison!
What Voltage of Cordless Sawzall are you running & what's your quickest Drive-By at hackin the Horns off of RoadKills?

This Favorite Shhit is getting old already!

Well there was the time back in 1876 during the worst cold weather of that era when the neighboring Injuns came to our house. My dad was the first Postmaster in the town of Athena, Oregon and when the Injun Chief and some of his youngs braves walked right into the house, my sisters and brothers were scared but Dad tried to help the Chief out by offering them a sack of potato's and flour and a small amount of sugar.
When the Injun Chief saw the offering he was thankful and left and they never came back.....the Injuns were starving and just wanted something, anything to help feed the small group camped along the Umatilla Creek that winter of 1876.
True story.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

x10, 1911

I was born on the plains in 1947.

-50 below winters. (add wind chill to that) No fiberglas insulation in those clapboard farm houses.

Wood stove for heating and warm water.

No running water. A hand pump over an underground water tank the rodents swam in, until they died.

No electricity= no lights after sun down, no fridge, no heater.

Try learning to read with the light off a coal-oil lamp. And it stinks.

I can tell you why there's two holes in an outhouse and its not for you and your buddy, sorry!!

No gravel on the roads, much less pavement. Rain=Mud and flood.

Horse meat is sweater than beef, if you grain feed it.

Farm raised chicken=tough chicken or a pressure cooker. Great stuff, that pressure cooked chicken.

Cream will come to the top of your milk but getting swatted in the face by a urine soaked tail at 6:00 a.m. and -30 degrees, makes you wonder if milks worth having, let alone cream.

Crawling into a bed with two hot irons to take the chill off, night after night, sucks.

Bathing in the same water (once a week) as 5 other people in a round 3 foot wide tin tub was outstanding.

Wearing a wool sock, soaked in turpentine, plastered to your chest, to cure pneumonia wasn't a whole lot of fun, as recall.

Try getting a tooth drilled with a pulley system drill. A wonderful experience you can learn to live without. Course try chewing venison without molars.

Growing your own vegetables or going without was not all it's cracked up to be.

And that's all 50 years after the 1ate 1800. I figure I had it good compared to what my parents and grandparents went through so I'll take today because if you're going back a hundred plus years, you got to live the whole enchilada.

Remember, by the late 1800's there were no buffalo, no elk, no deer, no sheep, no turkeys, no pheasants, no antelope left (at least compared to today). Course there were still a few wolves around, living on sheep and beef.

It wouldn't have been easy but the old timers didn't know any other way, they just lived and complained about it less than I do with all I have today. I guarantee you, they could whip us without breaking a sweat. Those that survived childhood where the strongest of the species.

If your headed back justr, don't wait for me, I'm thinking I'll take a powder.

DC

I was raised on a Ranch 8 miles from town with no indoor plumbing or electricity. I also, within the last 15 years, lived in a small cabin in heavy snow country with no electricity of any kind or propane. I had water and a wood stove, for two winters plus, and i got by just fine.

That said and plenty more that's not said, i was born during a pretty good time in this country to be an American. Until recently, there was always plenty of money, work, fun, ladies, hunting, fishing, and going places, whenever it was wanted. Things haven't always been easy, as by times mentioned above, but it wasn't the fault of the "times" .

No regrets and if given the chance to do it over again, back then in the 1800's or the time in which i have, i'd want another one just like the go i've just been given. Not too bad i'd say!!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-11 AT 02:15PM (MST)[p]This post makes me wonder if this conversation got brought up back in the late 1800's "would you rather live now, in 1876, or would your rather live in the 1700's?"
They probably got answers like:
"now, because the booze back then sucked"
"Outhouse back then were way to drafty!"
"Dem Injuns was way worse back den"

But as far as my answer for this question:

I would love to go back to visit. I had to use an outhouse for 3 months and it sucked in the AK bush. Always nervous of a bear being around.
+ i would miss driving the dirt bike, snowmobile and my truck.

"Like a midget at the urinal, always be on your toes!"
www.Anacondatreasure.com
www.rwmurals.com
http://www.themontanagallery.com/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom