Lassen antelope hunt, and Nevada too!

CAelknuts

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-09 AT 04:04PM (MST)[p]

I just returned from a long weekend of scouting for my son's upcoming pronghorn hunt in northeast California, with the 2nd half being in northwest Nevada, since he drew antelope tags in both states this year. Of course, I drew NOTHING,ANYWHERE! Since quite a few people seemed to enjoy my thread last year on the Monroe elk hunt,and my thread on this year's South Africa hunt (under the Southern Cross), I thought I'd do another one on this year's antelope hunts.

We'll be heading up to the unit to scout on Thursday and Friday, prior to Saturday's opener in both states. Our plan is to kill a buck in the Lassen unit, and then immediately go over to Nevada where my son holds a 041,042 tag. We're planning on up to 9 days for the two hunts, hoping that we don't need that much time to kill 2 good bucks, but my son has some high standards so we don't expect this to be a quick hunt in either state. Here are a few pictures I took this past weekend, I hope you all enjoy.

4a89c2ee4ab1e4c0.jpg

This was the 1st mature buck I saw on Saturday. Nice, but not what we're looking for.

4a89c3204c5c7bb7.jpg

This was a bigger buck, but he lacks prong length, and doesn't have a lot of horn above his prongs. Of course, he has nice mass and very high prongs.

4a89c35f4e3420e0.jpg

Here's a side view of the same buck

More to come shortly...

One of my favorite things to do out in the Lassen area is hunt for sage grouse. We're on a draw here in California, so we only get to hunt them every 4 or 5 years. Normally, I hunt the East Lassen side, but we found a nice flock of grouse over in the Central Lassen area yesterday. Here are a few pictures that show how incredibly well they blend in.

4a89c90a79f48c4b.jpg

4a89c9277acc5ac8.jpg

They're good fun to hunt, and better eating that most people realize. The birds appear to have had a good production year out there this year, as we saw quite a few coveys of quail, and each covey had a lot of young birds. This group of sage grouse totaled 6 birds, and 5 of them were young of the year. My buddy that I scouted with went to a different area the day before, and he saw several large flocks of chukars, so we're looking forward to bird season.

Looking forward to regular updates.

Good luck!

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

OK Dan, looking forward to updates. I've drawn both CA and NV twice so this will be especially fun for me. Good luck!

Eel

Jay, be sure to check back with me after we're done and I'll tell you where we see grouse. These were west of Karlo a few miles. I'll keep my eyes open for more grouse while we're out there. I've always hunted East Lassen for them, so don't know the good spots in the central area. I love hunting those birds, and they are good eating if you take good care of them real quick. We gut them on the spot where we pick them up, and wash them out with cold water, then get them on ice ASAP. Never had a bad sage grouse as a result.

Well, we have a bit of a change of plans. My son got a call today from one of the San Diego Long Range sportfishing boats, who offered him a full time job, so we're going to head up tomorrow instead of Thursday, as they'd like him to report for work as early as possible. He did tell them that he had a special hunting tag that he'll probably never draw again, and he couldn't come right away.

The plan is to hopefully have a good enough buck located for opening day, and then make a mad dash to Nevada and hopefully get lucky and find another nice buck that he can take so that I can run him to the Reno airport ot fly to San Diego. His chances to get on the boat will be Sunday, and then again on Wednesday. We're hoping to have 2 bucks in time for him to get there for Wednesday. He doesn't want to short-change his antelope opportunities, but he also doesn't want to lose out on this nice fishing job on one of the top Long Range Boats.

Sunday, we were scouting west of 395, and found these very neat rock formations in a canyone we were driving through. I thought you all might enjoy seeing them, as they're kinda unusual.

4a8b8232686967c9.jpg

4a8b82546933cf6c.jpg

4a8b82786a1fd909.jpg

nuts, can't wait for the "rest of the story." And the chukar info.

Stoked with a new pup but won't get on em till November due to the damn tags I drew. :)

RE: Just a few more hours till it's GAME ON!

Well, I'm worn out! We've covered a huge portion of the unit the last 2 1/2 days, and seen several hundred antelope. While we've seen a lot of bucks, we still haven't found one that makes me go 'That one!' Don't get me wrong, we've seen some nice bucks including a couple we think will go 15" or longer, but haven't found a buck that has it all yet, length, mass and big prong. In the morning, we're going to check out a buck that we glassed at about a mile this morning, in some rough country. He has about 20 does and fawns with him, so it might be tough to get very close, but we want to see if he's as big as we think he might be. Time will tell.

We've also lucked into some help from a friend of a friend of mine, some guys who live locally and enjoy hunting pronghorns. They've put us onto some spots to check out, some of which I knew and some I wasn't aware of. My truck is tired too, as I've put about 400 miles on it this week on dirt roads out here, but that's why we're seeing so many animals.

Bird season is going to be good for the quail and chukar hunters, as there are a lot of birds around, with many new birds of the year. Seen some sage grouse too, but the quail and chukars seem to have done the best. There are doves everywhere, September 1st is going to be like a war zone up here, I think.

Gotta get to bed, as 4:00 will be here in just over 4 hours. I'll try to give a report again tomorrow night. Hopefully, it'll be from Nevada, which will mean we tagged out over here in Lassen.

Goodluck in your quest CA. Always enjoy your stories. fatrooster.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-09 AT 00:29AM (MST)[p]Remember the old saying "I'd rather be lucky than good." Well, that was the theme of the day.

Yesterday during our scouting, we met a fellow who was in his 60s, and had drawn his first ever pronghorn tag. He told us he'd be happy to shoot any buck with prongs. "All I want is a buck with prongs," he said.

Well, this morning, we got to where we wanted to glass for the biggest buck we've found, and we got there at 1st light. The first words out of my son's mouth were "Oh crap, someone beat us here." Sure enough, there was a pickup parked a couple hundred yards from our glassing spot. We settled in anyway, and it took my son less than a minute to find a big buck following a doe up the mountain. Only problem was, we also found two hunters headed up the mountain, though they were only a couple hundred yards from the truck.

My son decided to honor their hunt and not head up the mountain too, in an effort to shoot the buck out from under them. We settled in behind the big binoculars in an effort to see where the buck bedded, and where he'd flee to if they didn't kill him. Now, this mountain is pretty big and very rocky, and I told my son there was no way those fellows would go all the way up to where the buck was. We eventually lost sight of the other hunters, but could always see the buck about a mile up the mountain. Those big Swarovski's on the tripod sure make watching game productive, and fun! Anyway, the buck and doe eventually fed out of sight for a few minutes, and when they reappeared they had another doe with them. They then began feeding back down the mountain, so I told Danny to get his butt up that mountain, as the other hunters would never find them if they were even still heading up. He took off at a very fast pace, but the antelope were also picking up their pace as they headed down and eventually, across the face of the mountain.

About ten minutes after Danny started hiking up the mountain, I heard a shot. Figuring it was him, I wasn't surprised to hear only 1 shot; but about a minute later I see the other two hunters, well off to the right of where they'd last been, hustling to the east, as fast as two old guys can go. All of a sudden, the guy with the rifle finds a rest on a tree and fires again, then again and then they got up and slowly walked out of sight. AW, CRAP!

Danny doesn't come back for a long time, and I'm starting to wonder what is going on when I see the other hunters at nearly a mile, dragging their buck. Finally, Danny comes back to tell me that he'd lost his knife and had been looking for it, but no luck finding it. He then told me the guys we'd seen yesterday, the guy who only wanted a buck with cutters, had shot the buck and he was HUGE. He said they were trying to gut the buck with a little pocket knife when he walked up on them and they asked if he had a knife they could borrow. When he reached into his pocket, he said AW, CRAP! (or some more profane version) when he realized he'd lost his knife. He then headed off to try to find his knife, but instead he found a rattlesnake that was buzzing up a storm near his feet! After he'd jumped a few times and said a few more AW, CRAPS; he headed back to check in with me.

I told him to go find his knife and I'd go help those other guys since they'd only dragged the buck a few hundred yards in over a half hour. I walked up the mountain and found them sitting in the sun, looking completely whipped. As I walked up to them, I asked the fellow who'd just shot his first ever pronghorn at 60 something years old if he realized his first ever antelope was a Boone and Crockett caliber buck. He replied that he realized it was a big buck, but didn't really know anything about measuring them. It happened that I'd stuck my tape measure in my pccket before heading up the hill, as I knew this buck was very special, and I wanted to see if he was as big as I suspected. He wasn't....he was bigger!

When I stretched the tape along his horn, I was only mildly surprised to see it go all the way out to 16 1/2"!!! The buck didn't have big prongs, they were 4 1/2", but his mass was great with bases of nearly 7" and he carried the mass well up his horns, with the bottom of the prong over an inch above the tip of his ears. I measured him very quickly and roughly, but was amazed at his symmetry, and I came up with a very quick 84".

As it turned out, it was a total fluke that this guy shot the buck. First, they were on quads the day before when we saw them, but his quad was overheating so they took the pickup that morning, and were running late. Just as they came to the turnoff down a road that runs along the face of the mountain, the buck and his doe ran across the road in front of the truck! It was barely light, but they now knew he was there and which way he was headed. They'd parked and had just headed up and away from the truck when we pulled up. As they hiked up the mountain, they realized they'd never be able to get up to where the buck was, so they headed back to the truck, only to spot another herd of antelope about 1/2 mile to the east, and lower on the mountain, so they headed over to stalk them instead and forgot about the 1st buck. As the big buck came down the mountain following the does, he ran right past these hunters, who didn't even know he was there. The guys told me they suddenly saw a buck running by them at about 75 yards and he started shooting. He killed the buck with his 3rd shot, but had no idea what he'd just shot. They told me that as they walked up to him, they began to realize that he was a big buck, much more than the fellow was hoping to take.

After listening to their story, they told me that the hunter who shot the buck had a heart condition, and the other fellow was recovering from cancer surgery. I replied that I now knew why they were going so slow, and I took his shirt and tied it over my shoulders. When the guy asked what I was doing, I told him that the rate they were dragging the buck, the season was going to close before they got it down to the truck, so I was going to carry it down for them. They couldn't believe their latest good fortune, and quickly accepted my offer. They hoisted the buck up onto my shoulders, across my back and we proceeded to walk to the truck. The walk was mostly uneventful, other than one time when we set the buck down to rest. The fellow who'd shot it was supporting the head, and he let out a little startled yelp, and I saw a 3' rattler slitheriing away from him. He'd stepped rigt next to it without seeing it, only noticing it when it crawled away. I really wished I'd had my camera with me, as it was a beautifully marked rattler, with very vivid and contrasty markings to go with his 7 or 8 rattles. After following him over to a tree where he coiled up, we left him alone and walked out of there in a slightly different direction to avoid further contact with him.

We eventually got back to the truck, thanks to Danny coming up to help us haul him the last few hundred yards, and then I learned that they only had a little point and shoot compact camera, so I took some pictures of him with his buck and promised to email him some good photos after I get back home.

The rest of the day was largely uneventful, as we saw about 60-70 antelope, but no bucks that interested us. Tomorrow we're going out with one of the local guys who've been helping with our scouting, and we're going to search for another big buck he found yesterday. Time will tell if we have success. I hope so, as we'd like to get over to Nevada for the 2nd phase of this 2-state hunt so that Danny can get to San Diego for his fishing job.

Sorry I can't post photos of his fantastic buck tonight. I forgot my usb cord, so can't download the photos onto my computer. You'll just have to wait to see this fabulous pronghorn buck. He truly is the buck of a lifetime, and was nearly Danny's buck, but fate played a big role in today's outcome.

CAelk, you do write a nice hunt!

Thanks for the update and hope your son gets his dandy!

If you happen on what would seem a good dove hunting spot that you don't have reason to think would be crowded on the opener, please shoot me a PM. I've neglected to go after those grey rockets for several years now and do miss a good dove shoot. Though i've hunted that creek over by Robbers Roost several times, i understand it's posted now. Usually, we get a good cold spell a few days before the opener and that pushes a lot of the birds to warmer climates.

Oh, did you son ever find his knife?

Joey

No, he never did find the knife.

As for doves, they're everywhere! There are a lot of birds down by Hallelujah Junction, though there are very few antelope down there. Lots of doves along the creeks, but of course, lots of guards at the prison who like to dove hunt too.

There are a lot of wild sunflowers and some turkey mullen that grew this year, and everywhere we've seen those plants, there have been doves.

My son told me right before we went to bed "Dad, if I couldn't kill that buck yesterday, I'm glad that Mel got him. He's a nice guy and that buck will mean a lot to him." I was glad to hear that kind of talk from the kid.

Neat story Dan. One thing I noticed while hunting CA antelope is that most residents who draw aren't very experienced antelope hunters. I was with a friend on Likely Tables helping him on his hunt one year. It was the third day of the season and we were in camp, about noon. An older gentleman and his wife drove up. They got out and both were wearing blaze orange coveralls. They told us they had been hunting since opening day and had yet to even see an antelope! I told him about a buck we saw that morning that was bedded about a mile from camp. He was very excited about it so they followed us and we showed it to him. He was able to keep some trees between him and the buck and sneak about 100 yards from it. He made a nice shot and got him. About a 13 incher. He was thrilled. It's fun to help people like that.

In 1992 I drew Surprise Valley. I scouted and found that antelope regularly crossed between Cow Head Res. and Mud Lake. There was a hill between the two with a low saddle. The antelope used that saddle to cross, so I set up there one afternoon hoping to intercept one.

About an hour later I see a herd comming. They actually came from Nevada, as I saw them cross the line. It was 7 does and the biggest buck I ever laid eyes on! He was tall and heavy, and they were headed straight for me! When they were about 600 yards and comming, a white truck came along with a guy with a rifle, standing in the back. CRAP! (I know the feeling). They spotted the herd and the guy shot over the top of the cab and broke his front leg. They then chased the buck, shooting on the fly, and finally killed it about 100 yards from me.

I left my hiding spot in a rock out crop and walked over to them. Boy were they surprised to see me! They apologised for ruining my hunt. I wasn't upset that he killed it, only the way they did it. Totally illegal. Back then I wasn't much into being a narc, but they didn't know that, and I could tell they were worried. Anyway, I put my tape to it. It was 17 3/8 and 17 5/8. Good prongs, but not great. I'm still sick about it.

Sorry for the rant. Good luck and keep us posted!

Eel

Dan....sounds like you are having a great time anyway.

I have had the pleasure to meet Danny...and to all..I can tell you he is a first class kid and does not surprise me at all that he was excited that the old guy killed that buck. I am hoping that Karma comes back you boy's way and you kill a MONSTER!!!

Tell Danny good luck on the fishing boat too!!

Long day. We sat on a tank, actually a small lake, that was on some private property that we got access to. A friend who lives locally took us there, as he saw a very nice buck there on Friday. We sat from 9:30 AM until dark, and not a single antelope came in. He tells us they're a local herd, and drink there most days, so we're going to give it another shot tomorrow. About the only excitement today was watching 3 different coyotes, and watching the cows chasing them away from their calves. Only saw about a dozen deer and 2 antelope.

We're going to give it till mid-afternoon there, and if nothing comes in, we'll decide on plan C.

Today was an interesting, and frustrating, day. We got back to the tank at first light, and antelope were hitting water before the sun crested the horizon in the east. Around 8:00 a truck pulled up on some public land that borders the private ground we were hunting, so our buddy goes over to talk to the guy and try to persuade him to hunt somewhere else. It worked, too well in fact. He convinced the guy to go to another spot that he suggested, and on his way out he kills a buck after driving only a few hundred yards. It wasn't the buck we're trying to kill, in fact is was about a 13" buck that would score in the mid-60s.

While we went over to help the guy out, he was a disabled veteran so it seemed like the right thing to do, our buddy Paul saw a buck that he thought was the one we wanted. After the other hunter left with his buck, we made a plan and Paul and Danny took off on a long and circuitous stalk. Long story short, they came back about 4 or 5 hours later after walking about 6 or 7 miles. They bumped into several bucks, and had one nice buck at 75 yards for about 4 minutes. They couldn't decide if Danny should shoot him or not, even though Paul thought it would go 15 1/2-16", and it had decent mass but short prongs. Danny just couldn't bring himself to shoot the buck, even though Paul thought it would score 78-80". They finally called me to ask what I thought and I was no help. I just said "It's not my tag, Danny has to be happy with it. Paul then said he thought the buck would go at least 16" on one horn, and I replied "I'd shoot that buck, then." You guessed it, about that time it decided to take off. By the time they'd returned to the tank we've been sitting, they figured they'd walked 6 miles, perhaps further. As the evening wore on, Danny was 2nd guessing himself, thinking he should have shot that buck. I was no help, as I told him he'd just passed up a bigger pronghorn than most hunters will ever shoot.

Tomorrow we're going to try a new plan. We're going to hit an area we haven't checked out since Friday. It's holding about 199 antelope, and there are a good number of mature bucks. We just haven't found 'the buck' in there, but something new may have moved in over the last few days with the season on, so we figure it's worth checking out. There are at least 2 bucks in there that'll go 15", but neither one has it all. If that doesnt' pan out, we're going to go sit on a small reservoir that has about 50 antelope drinking there each day, and one of them is said to be a solitary old buck that sounds interesting.

Another day, another plan. Till tomorrow....

have you even spotted surprise valley? I notice a large number of small stinkies at the end of the most farest away from the road! you need great glass spotter and you need a sneaky hike to get there but it on a map and worth a view as an extra wildcard!

4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

Interesting hunt. I look forward to hearing more.

It sure is a pain hunting under a deadline (your boys job opportunity). Just adds unneeded pressure to a situation that is supposed to be fun and relaxing.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

Dan, good for you for you for helping fellow hunters, you made their day or year for that matter. I'm a firm believer "what goes around comes around". I'm sure your son will find his buck(s). Good luck, hang in there. Bet you are having a blast.

My antelope hunts doesn't start til mid-Sept. Then have a sandhill crane tag to fill. Just got back from a Mexico fishing trip, went to Namibia the 1st 10 days of Aug. life is tough.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Yesterday was a very long day, for several reasons, so I never got a chance to post an update. By the time it was over, I got to see one of the neatest things I've ever seen while hunting, had a truck 'malfunction', saw lots of nice bucks which son passed up, and got to bed around 2:00 AM up at Lake Tahoe (new spike camp!).

We started out in a sleeper spot we've been watching that has a lot of antelope, and a lot of bucks. We hadn't seen anything that really got us excited, but new bucks have been moving in there, so we hit this area for the first few hours on Tuesday. Saw a couple bucks that I thought merited consideration, but my son wasn't too interested, so we left them for later. We ended up sitting on a lake in the Cottonwood Mountains where we'd heard a big solitary buck was watering, as well as several other herds with nice bucks. We got there about 11:00 and there were antelope at the lake when we arrived, but nothing worth getting excited about. Danny set up in some junipers on the far side of the lake, while I found a nice shady point on the near side of the lake and set up the big glasses right alonside my ice chest and comfortable chair. I do know how to be comfortable when spotting!

As the day wore on, we had several groups of antelope come in to feed on the green grass of the lake bed and drink, and some of them bedded down a couple hundred yards from where Danny was hiding. Finally, a buck joined the doe/fawn group, but he wasn't what Danny wanted, so we now had 19 'decoys' out on the lakebed, which turned out to be a good thing. Around 5:00. am unusual buck showed up, and he came over to join the herd that was feeding in front of my son. He was a very unusual buck, as his horns came out of his skull jutting forward, and they then curved downward so that they extended out to just past the tip of his nose. While watching him feed, I noticed that his horns touched the ground when he was grabbing vegetation! He had a wide spread, and decent mass, but small prongs. Length was good, but Danny wasn't sure what he wanted to do. There was no hurry, as some of the antelope were feeding, while others stayed bedded. The wind was blowing pretty hard, a crosswind, but it wouldn't be a problem for his scent, as it was very steady in direction.

Around 6:00, Danny decided he was going to take this buck, and I got ready to watch the show. Here is where I got to see one of the neatest things I've ever seen while hunting. I was looking almost directly into the sun, and Danny was off to my left. The antelope was 250 yards from him, and about 700 or so yards from me. I was settled in, looking through my big Swarovskis, when all of a sudden there was a golden flash of light that streaked right through the antelope, a puff of hair blowing off his far side, and the cloud of dust that kicked up when the bullet hit the lakebed. The buck toppled over in his tracks, and then I finally heard the shot. That 'golden flash' that I'd seen was his bullet flying through the air as it was headed to, and through, his buck. The light, atmospheric conditions, sun angle all had to be just right, and I could see about a 50 yard long 'streak' going through the air. It was very cool to see this, something I've never seen before. I've seen vapor trails in cold weather, but never the sun's reflection off of the bullet while in flight.

I got my gear packed into the truck to go and get him, and when I turned the key, nothing happened! My battery was dead! Now, I'd move the truck 3 times during the day to stay in the shade and there were no indications of a problem. I'd also had my truck serviced a week before leaving on this trip, and the battery checked out fine. We were in a remote area with no cell phone reception, and were about 25 miles from Highway 395, the only paved road in that area. Fortunately, there was a guy and his wife camped at the lake, as he was archery deer hunting. He came over and gave me a jumpstart, and I was good to go. We took lots of pictures, loaded the buck and headed for Susanville, where we met up with our buddies who've been helping on the hunt, and we skinned the buck and got him in the ice chest. After that, we headed for the family's home at Lake Tahoe, to spend the night and do laundry, cape the buck, and get caught up on some needed rest. Oh, we also bought a new battery for the truck!

We've now in Winnemucca, ready to begin part 2 of our excellent adventure. We're going to start out tomorrow, hunting in the eastern portion of unit 042 and work our way westward each day till we get his Nevada buck.

I don't have my USB cable to transfer pictures, but will post them when I get home. Danny's Lassen buck is a really great looking buck, 15 1/2" long. We got a very rough score of 77, but I'll do it more carefully when we get home. If he'd have had decent prongs, he'd have been over 80", but Danny told me he was more interested in how this buck looked, than what his score was. Good choice, IMO.

dead battery ........hope there was ice and beer in the cooler!
Glad it worked out! I had a 7mm bullet do that shimmer thing in Utah!
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

Very cool Dan!!! I can not wait to see the pictures.....

What did he decide about the fishing boat? Is he hunting instead and catching the next boat?

Can't wait to see the pics of each of these animals.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

Jason, the boat hired someone else when he told them he had a hunting trip he wouldn't put off, but he had told them when he applied that he could start Sept 1, so he was being consistent. As it turns out, he found other work on the boat he's been with, as one of their guys is going to take a leave pretty soon to get married, and next week, he's going with the owner up to Seattle to bring a boat down from there to San Diego. That'll take them about 7-9 days, unless they stop to catch albacore along the way.

Today was a slow day. We covered a ton of counrty in this unit, and saw very few antelope. There is no water in most of the unit, so very little habitat that supports animals. We only saw about 3 dozen antelope all day, and most of those were after sunset near where we're staying tonight. Danny passed up a buck this evening, he was pretty but only about 13" long. I did manage to get some very good rattlesnake photos today. I was taking a nap in the shade at a spring while Danny wandered around, and all of a sudden he woke me up with an 'OH SH*T.' He had about 8 rattles, and we took a fair number of photos of him before leaving him to continue his mouse hunting near the spring. I'll post some photos of him when I get home.

We drove through the desert clear from Lovelock to Gerlach, which meant that we got to see some of the crazies who are headed out to the Burning Man Festival. What a bunch of whack jobs some of them are. I can tell you one thing, you can speed most anywhere else in Washoe County, as it looked like most of the Sheriff's department was up near Gerlach, doing radar speed control, and writing lots of tickets. It looked like there were several thousand RVs out on the Black Rock Desert floor, with lots more headed that way. Danny and I were talking about how funny it would be if they got a big rain storm about now. There's be thousands of loonies stranded out in that desert mud.

Going to hunt closer to I-80 tomorrow. Want to check out some springs we see on the map, as these antelope are anywhere there's water. This unit is about as dry as the Sahara. Garth Carter is full of BS if he says this is one of Nevada's best pronghorn units. Good quality maybe, but very few antelope.

Dan, there generally is a couple groups of antelope on the east side of the Eugene Mtns. just north of Mill city.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Well, we wrapped it up on Friday evening. Danny got a call from one of the San Diego long range boats, the Qualifier105, that they wanted him down there by Monday evening for an early morning departure on Tuesday, so we called it a trip after Friday evening and headed toward home. He missed out on a job opportunity with the Red Rooser III earlier in the hunt, so when the "Q" called and said they had trips for him to work, it was an easy decision to make. He's done antelope hunting for this year, but will now be spending his time gaffing tuna, yellowtail, dorado and wahoo. He's also supposed to go up to Seattle with his boss to pick up a boat and take it back down to San Diego, so that'll be about an 8 or 9 day trip, hopefully with some good albacore fishing along the way.

I'll try to post up pictures from our hunt later tonight, once I get them downloaded from my camera.

For that 21 year old, life is good!

OK, I got the photos loaded onto my computer, so here are a few to enjoy.

Here's a great desert sunset.
4a9b34ce0f4cce0d.jpg

Here's the buck that the other hunter shot on opening morning, this is the one we'd scouted and they ended up taking him quite by accident. Sometimes, that's just the way it goes.
4a9b3a333aa2ad90.jpg

Here's another view of his great buck. This was the first time he'd ever hunted antelope, and he ended up with a 16 1/2" on the first morning. He'd better quit while he's ahead.
4a9b3b2a44b0a148.jpg

NICE buck Dan! I'd would have taken him too! Thanks for the pic's. I have enjoyed your post and hope you have another one for this year.
Yak

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.
Thomas Jefferson

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-09 AT 09:23PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-09 AT 09:20?PM (MST)

There are some nice bucks left out there for you 2nd period hunters....
4a9b40ed025c88a6.jpg

4a9b4164085a6de5.jpg

4a9b420a0e96e15a.jpg

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom