Largest Bighorn-Gordon Eastman

gznokes

Very Active Member
Gordon Eastman made a film back in the 60s called the Phantom Ram. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend checking it out on xbandits.com

During the film he shows footage of what he says is the largest bighorn he ever filmed.

6082ram11_copy.jpg

5662ram2_copy.jpg

The actual phantom ram itself is not too shabby either. There is an amazing piece of footage where two rams gang up on it. One takes it head on and the other comes in and smacks in on the side.

I really like these classic Eastman's videos. I give the current Eastmans guys credit for their productions, but none of them hold a candle to the craft Gordon exhibited with the camera, story, and total production.

3787rm44_copy.jpg

6506rm4444_copy.jpg

Gordon Eastman may have also filmed a possible challenger to the Burris buck in one of his outdoor films. The man had a knack for filming big trophy deer and sheep.

Eldorado

Another reason to watch that video--that buck you are referring to is on there as well as a few other gaggers. I was going to take a screen shot of it but decided to just enjoy the film.

I have to agree, the Gordon Eastman films had a romance and a "feeling" to them that damn few modern shows can approach.

I'm old enough to have seen a bunch of hunting shows and I'm always looking for that "feeling". I only get it when I'm hunting sheep now!

Thanks for sharing,
Zeke

gordon eastman was awesome at what he did. when i was little they would have saturday showings of his movies on the big screen movie theater. my dad would take me and i loved it. i would love to collect his movies. these new shows are garbage..

It says all the rams filmed in the Phantom Ram were coming out of Yellowstone and wintering around Gardner, MT. Is this area still considered a top area for big sheep?

There was something special about those early films going to the to the movie theater to see. They were an introduction to animals I had never seen and places I could only dream of going. Gordon sparked a fire under many of us and fortunately for me I have been able to chase some of those animals and fulfill some early dreams.

GZ, as far as the Gardner area, the best sheep are now coming from further north in Montana and in the Breaks. The Montana side of Yellowstone is mostly unlimited sheep hunting areas with very few mature rams. On the Wyoming side there are decent rams around Yellowstone, but few if any like the old stud Gordon filmed.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom