Landowner/Auction Tag Successes

W

WhiskeyMan

This is the third type of tag. These tags don't take luck to procure.......but require $$$ and HUGE sacrifice to save those $$$ if you are an average working man like me. Still gotta do research and hunt hard and smart in these limited quota units that are hard to draw cuz of the point systems in the western states. Post your pics up guys! Lets see 'em!

Utah Bookcliffs bull taken September 2003.
44112003_utah_bull_1.jpg

Utah Bookcliffs taken September 2004 half a mile from the previous bull.
267704_elk_1.jpg

6772004_utah_bull_2.jpg

NW Colorado 2009 public land.
5822bull_15.jpg

2129bull_4.jpg

Utah 2000. West Desert-Snake Valley public land. 15.5".
22112000_utah_goat_1.jpg

Eastern Utah 1999. 17.25"........88.3 gross B & C. Public land.......mediocre unit. Top 10 B & C Utah to this day. Was #5 when he hit the ground that September morning.
93731999_utah_goat_1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-11 AT 09:44PM (MST)[p]It's pretty easy to whine about the poor draw odds and point building costs versus gains these days. But.......have you guys thought about re-prioritizing your spending money? Have you thought about working a second part-time job to save for a great elk hunt every 2 or 3 years? Why take 18 points to draw a hunt you can have in just a few?

Spending hours reading mags and internet forums and then drooling and being pissed and disappointed ain't the way to do it. You just might get pancreatic cancer next month.....so why not get it done now and love it as much as you can so that you are a happier hunter and person? You only get to live once.

Some over-hyped western trophy units can be a difficult, unsuccessful hunt. Many are just exactly that these days. But.....do a little research......and it will more than likely come together.

I remember 10 years ago when the San Juan elk unit was producing big bulls and few hunters and the landowner tags went for $6k. Ditto for SW Desert rut elk tags. I thought that was outrageous back then, and wouldn't cough up. Now those same tags are only for billionaires. Things ain't getting any cheaper.

I just finished my salad and water instead of Domino's and beer for dinner. I will hop into my 8 year old truck tomorrow to drive to work. Same lunch as dinner tonite. But..........I WILL buy a great rut elk tag this year.......and have a terrific vacation plus shoot a whopper.

Whining doesn't get it with me. Man up.......and re-prioritize if you want a memorable experience plus a biggun on yer wall.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom