land owner tags....

deepforks

can someone explain to me exactly how this works. you, the landowner, are given x amount of tags per x amount of acres you own. what is that ratio? how is it decided if they are deer and/or elk tags...then from there, are they doe/cow tags or buck/bull tags...or a combination? for fun, use 45 as an example.....rancher x has a 10,000 acre ranch....what does he get? ive just alwasys been really curious how all this works. i know there is a lot of debate on them being able to "sell" them...not trying to bring that up here.

If I remember correctly, the landowner must meet certain criteria for LAP tags, such as they must have property that is utilized by wildlife and so on. If they meet that then they are issued 1 chance in a drawing for an LAP tag. Landowners are subject to a draw system much the same way everyone else is. They are given a booklet that lays out what areas have LAP permits in a drawing and if they are bull or cow, buck or doe and how many there are available in the drawing. They choose and enter haow ever many times they want depending on the acreage allotment. In some areas the odds for drawing an LAP tag is worse than if they put in the general drawing. Landowners can also put in for the same hunt in the general drawing and possibly draw tags in both drawings; and give the LAP tag to whome ever they want. I think that LAP tags can only account for 10% above that of the general drawing (100 permits available for general drawing so max of 10 more available to landowners). Again this is if I remember the rules correctly. Its been a year or two since I went through the LAP rules.

Hope that sheds some light for ya.

Far as I understand it, Timberline nailed it.

Also it was never legal to sell the tags. The tags however can be transfered to anybody the Landowner sees fit. The Landowner can also charge what ever they want for access to their "land"..

springbear,
the commission was meeting on banning tags beings given with a trespass fee- did we hear anything on what they decided?

Personally, if the landowers are including access to their personal property, I say let them make some money on these tags. A hunter might get on some good property.

The Christian

Well just one of the problems was landowners selling their tag and the buyer never gets to hunt the private land. What a deal. The landowner makes the money and the schmuk has to hunt with the rest of us. That took place in unit 45. Ron

I would buy a landowner tag in unit 45 and gladly hunt public land with everybody else. Not saying that I wouldn't love a chance to hunt some of the private land in that unit, but I wouldn't be too picky IF I could get a tag in there.

>Well just one of the problems
>was landowners selling their tag
>and the buyer never gets
>to hunt the private land.
>What a deal. The landowner
>makes the money and the
>schmuk has to hunt with
>the rest of us. That
>took place in unit 45.
> Ron

that is the problem with landowner tags,,,,,they should only be allowed to use them on the land they are drawn for,,, leave the public land bucks to the regular guys, most of the landowners who get tags arent letting the poor hunters hunt,,,

LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-10 AT 09:59AM (MST)[p]There was a bit more to it as I understood it.

It has never been legel to "sell" the tag. So that example in unit 45 that idron gave was clearly out-of-bounds. I am not saying it didn't happen, just that it is cearly out side.

as near as I could tell, there were some savy landowners who were gaming the system by having LLC's set up for each 640 acres of land. Thus, "one" land owner was recieving multiple apps into the landowner pool... Kind of like a Points system.. (sorry couldn't resist.) My understanding was that was one of the problems.

The tags could always be trasfered to whom ever the landowner wanted. Here was the other rub. Landowenrs were obviously getting pretty looose in their description of a "trepass" fee. I can't say as I blame them really.

My family owns a ranch in a Unit with a couple of LE hunt's on it. I was discussing this with my Mom, and she about chucked me outa the house... Her point was that by not overgrazing the winter range and taking care of the land, the elk and mule deer have a decent place to winter out. and they do. Hundreds of each on the place during the winter. Her point is that she pays the taxes and the morgage on that ground. None of "us" pay for that or worry about feeding the horses in the winter, so piss off if you want to stop her from being able to help offset those costs. It's not like the landowners are getting rich off these tags, yes they are getting some money but in most cases it is way less than what it costs to have the ground in good shape or fix the fences that get ripped up every winter.

I had to go unload a semi load of hay and come fix the upper two miles of fence on my next couple of days off to get my butt out of that sling.....

I still worry about Idaho ending up in a situation like Nex Mex, Co and a few other states, where the landowner tags are nothing more than an end around the controlled hunt application process.

AS I heard it the landowner was Mcaw (spelling) as I understand it not many people get to hunt his places. he is one that divides his places up and gets more tags. He bought Hot Springs ranch in 44. HE has also bought almost all the land in 44 that has any animals on it.
Springbear, You say you supply a fantastic place for animals. THANK YOU!!! THANK YOUR MOM!!!
The fact is most landowners don't give a rip what the PUBLIC land looks like when they are done. The overgrazing will become an issue that removes them from the welfare line, I mean government handout, I mean public subsidized grazing, I mean ranching.
Yes landowners are allowing some animals on their land. The BLM, and FS is allowing the ranchers to graze off the PUBLIC land to the point that what game we have left HAS to go somewhere to find food. Towns, roads, or ranches block most of the migration corridors. A lot of landowners lump ALL people together that use the PUBLIC land. They say ?hunters dumped garbage, shot holes in the pipe, left open the gates? Not all hunters do this stuff. Just like not all ranchers are welfare whores. It looks like both sides has their own garbage.
It is my opinion, the way the system for landowner tags has been is another spot for the pig to get close to the slop bucket.
If your mom does not like paying taxes or feed costs she can sell out move to town. As far as me not wanting her to offset cost by pimping tags. The original plan was to help allow access not fill the pocket of a rancher. We need to go back to that and if she does not like it she can like you said "piss off".
Ron

Yeah, they're just recouping their losses from the winter. ") And rbon80 in the other post paying $5K for a land owner elk tag in 66-A is just paying "trespass fees", to hunt on Natl Forest.

The Land Owner Appreciation system is broken, and it sucks the way they are administering it now. The tags should be like Montana's and only good on the land they are issued for, not public land.

More and more sportsmen are rising against them, and hopefully the will be restricted in the future.

Ron nailed it.....If they don't alow access, not tags should be issued.

Shady as hell the way it is now.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom