Lady Lopes

buglinbilly

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-12 AT 01:46PM (MST)[p]I know almost everyone posts photos of buck antelope, but with out the does, there would be no bucks.

I used to think most does were ugly, but since I got into photography it see beauty in all of them, be they ugly or pretty. I hope you can see some beauty too.

They certainly are a very interesting critter!

100.jpg

99.jpg

98.jpg

96.jpg

93.jpg

I have been ask several times, by a few members to break my photo posts up, so I will try to do that, so its faster to view, for those with slower computers.

Hey BB, was it you that posted a picture of the doe that was looking straight away from you and you could see both of her eyes? I know it was a while back, maybe in the photography section? If it was, that was a great pic and you should post it again.

Great pictures!!

"Suck it, terrorists," -Keith Stone

Great pics as always BB. I especially like the pics of the young ones. The does are pretty too but that first pic looks like she has seen better days.

GBA

Antelope are an evolutionary masterpiece if you ask me. No other animal seems to have adapted so well to their environment as they have. 8X eye sight with eyes bigger than an elk, the heart the size of a large muley,front legs trimmed down to reduce drag in the underbrush, SPEED, endurance like no other, 2 layered coat built for insulating and cooling, bucks with attitudes like heavy weight boxers with near similar aggressive fighting abilities, corner like a jack rabbit, and the list goes on and on and on...

One of my top animals to watch and pursue.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-12 AT 03:42PM (MST)[p]Some of you may not realize, but unlike deer, elk or moose, antelope carry their winter coats long into summer. For example, the doe that GBA mentioned, in his above post, photo was taken in late July. Deer and elk look very sleek with their summer coats by that time of year. But by early Sept. that doe would look pretty sleek too.

Part of photographing critters, is learning through your photographs, to tell a story, and how better to do that, than by posting photos like hers.

Here is another photo of a summer pronghorn. She too looks pretty rough.

45.jpg

But by early September she might look more like one of these.

22.jpg

From my observations I have noticed that he males tend to loose their coats and look better earlier than do the does in most cases. Like in all things, there are exceptions to that rule.

I will try to post a few more "rough" photos as time permits. I have some photos where you can see how the legs, which are always scraping the brush and low vegetation, loose their hair much earlier than does that of the head, neck and top of the back.

Have a good one. BB

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-12 AT 10:55AM (MST)[p]Idabow, yes and I think this is the photo to which you are referring.

39-3.jpg

Have a good one. BB

Thats it. Thanks, BB. Its amazing that they can see so far behind them. Again, great pictures.

"Suck it, terrorists," -Keith Stone

Awesome photos. As a taxidermist I have really grown to appreciate these animals. Everything about them is just amazing. My favorite animal to do taxidermy with. A really good antelope mount says a lot about the taxidermist and their skill level.

The next two photos, are not very good photos as far as photos go, but they show pretty well, one of the steps, that occur in the loss, of an antelopes winter coat.

Notice the legs and belly of the antelope in these photos. They are the first part of their bodies to loose the winter hair. If you look close, on the legs, you can see the blood veins, as the hair in that area, is so short. These photos were taken in 2006 in about mid July. At that time I didn't have a very good camera, but they still illustrate the point I am trying to make.

99-1.jpg

100-1.jpg

I will add some more photos either later today or tomorrow, for those who might be interested.

Have a good one. BB

Awesome pics as usual --- glad to hear you're getting around better!

Lv2hnt

"Every man dies --- not every man really lives."

Rick, Photo Shop does wonders with photos, but what you ask for is impossible. I might suggest a face transplant, if you really ever want to be good looking. Ha Ha

7.jpg

55.jpg

41.jpg

43.jpg

Have a good one. BB

You had me at "hello"!

They are a cool and totally unique critter. Your pix are always thrilling. You have the "eye".

Zeke

Alot of nice pictures of the speed ladies.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Hopefully it won't' be too long before I can bet back to antelope country and get some new photos. I will end this thread with these photos and hopefully by August have some new buck photos for you guys who like pronghorns.

93.jpg

94.jpg

114.jpg

123.jpg

124.jpg

126.jpg

127.jpg

128.jpg

129.jpg

130.jpg

131.jpg

And before we know it, this buck will be chasing the does and insuring the we have another young crop of fawns.

95-2.jpg

Have a good one. BB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom