La Sal Unit Late Season Elk Hunt Info

F

FullDraw84

Hey guys,

Anyone have any tips on hunting the La Sal Unit for the late season bull elk hunt? I was over there the opening weekend and saw over 40 elk each day and we looked over about 15 bulls total. Didn't find anything that really stood out. Not holding out for something ridiculous but would like a nice mature 6 point, hopefully in the 320"-330" range. I don't think that is unrealistic.

Spotted one 6x6 that was probably a little over 300". He was in a spot full of elk with some smaller bulls. They aren't going anywhere, so one of those bulls is my last day option. Hopefully it doesn't come to that!

Just wondering if anyone has any info to share. As a NR it took me a while to draw, I won't draw again for a long time, and it was pretty expensive. Would like to make the most of it. Have been concentrating on the west and north side of the unit. Those are the ones that I am familiar with. Be back there for the last 4 days.

Thanks for your time.

Adam

My experience is that the late season tags are easier to get because the hunting is tough. It seems the biggest bulls find the nastiest far off places (and private land) where they won't be bothered and that's where they go. I don't know where that is on that unit, but unless you find one of those, you will have to be happy with what you have found.
My good friend hunted every day of the season on his late elk hunt and he would have been happy with a 300" bull.
Best of luck,
I hope you find a big one.

lbh,

Thanks for the reply. That is also how the elk act back here is Colorado. When I spoke with the game warden he said the bulls in this area tend to remain in easier to access areas simply due to the lack of people and pressure. But those big bulls are getting big for a reason - they aren't dumb! I can't imagine they wouldn't crawl into nasty spots. I was praying for a heavy snow year but didn't get it. Oh well, at least we are seeing elk. Have to keep putting on the miles.

Thanks

Adam

If there's one thing I know about Utah it's that you're better off to ask a school lunch lady or the first kid you find playing in the street than to ask a biologist about the animals. Almost nobody spends less time on the mountain than the biologists do.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom