Kuiu, is it warm enough?

sniper14

Doing a high country Wyoming hunt in September. I've got the entire kuiu gear, is this all I'll need to stay warm and dry. I hate to be cold will this gear suffice? Thanks for any advice

I don't own all of it so I can't answer the warm question, but one things for sure. You will stay dry with the Chugach Jacket and pants.

Give it a test. Put all of your gear on and go to your local grocery store and ask for permission to stand in thier walk in freezer for a while. It will test the ability to stay warm but not wind resistance.
I do not have any Kuiu gear but I do have Sitka gear and the rumor is that the owners of these two companies used to be partners in Sitka but split up with one of the owners starting Kuiu. The clothing looks very similar and both companies are geared toward high tech layering systems. For me, the Sitka is not warm enough for temperatures lower than 30's especially with lots of wind. But I am originally from Florida and get cold easier than Western natives and I require more clothing than most people that I hunt with. I've read through many forums of people who are very happy with the same clothes that I wear all season long. So it depends on you and your body type. fatrooster.

If you have the entire Kuiu line you will be fine. The Merino 185 and 250 beneath the Spindrift and the Guide jacket should keep you comfortable in very cold temperatures.

Unless you're cold natured I'd say you should be good. You might need something more for your face/neck. Maybe a balaclava from sitka to use while sitting/glassing. But if you use the entire system yeah, should be good to go.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have
some good ideas!

You will probably not need the entire Kuiu line for a September hunt. It is quite warm, and if you wear all the layers you will be very warm on anything but a late season, all day whitetail stand in Saskatchewan. It is quite warm clothing, and if properly layered will keep an active hunter comfortable down to zero degrees.
Bill

I hunted Sheep in Idaho last year in September.
It was about 25 in the morning, and 60 by days end.
I used:
-KUIU Attack pants
-185 Merino shirt
-Guide Jacket
-Spindrift coat, when glassing, not walking.

I felt great! I had a rain jacket along but never needed it.
I think you will be fine.

Best of luck to you!

Mike

I use mine from early archery hunts to late season coyotes in Wyoming. Never been more comfortable.

Traditional >>>------->

I used the spindrift jacket and guide jacket in Alaska this past spring. They were warm and withstood the cool breeze on a snowy bear hunt. When it rained, however, I found the guide jacket WAS NOT water proof. The raid beaded up and ran off at first, and then it soaked it up like a sponge. If you expect rain, wear rain gear over the top.

Don't know about the Kuiu, but one of the nastiest, wettest, & windiest hunts I've been on was 10 day moose hunt in early September in NW Wyoming. Went back in October and it was Indian summer.

I cannot comment in Kuiu but I can on Sitka which Jason started and sold before starting Kuiu. I don't think the Sitka is warm enough. It is a great gear but not warm for cold cold weather. I am impressed with what I have seen from Kuiu but not had enough $$$$ to make it happen yet.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom