Kodiak goat hunt with too many pics

mtmiller

I posted this story at Moosies, but a couple people here asked for a story. Easier to tell with pics so here goes.

Being a NR I had to go with an outfitter. Money well spent with Brian Peterson. Here is a shot of my plane headed to from Kodiak to his lodge (two trips, so I had to wait for it to return for my ride). Just the flight in was amazing.
P1000254Medium.JPG

Not a bad place for a place to stay.
P1000465Medium.JPG

Couple artsy pics from the lodge.
P1000533Medium.JPG

P1000541Medium.JPG

Alright, let's head up the hill and hunt. Here was camp while hunting. Sorry about the fogged lens on some of these shots, I didn't notice it for a couple days.
P1000373Medium.JPG

View from near camp and a little further up the mountain. Though we can see goats today, we decide to wait and hit it in the morning. Downside, I watch 13 goats walk over the hill later that evening.
P1000374Medium.JPG

Here is another shot of the area I hunted. About 2/3 of the bowl can be seen from this shot.
P1000411Medium.JPG

The next morning we headed out in the dark. We found a billy at the top of the hill and were working on a strategy to get on him when we found one lower. I wasn?t too sure about his size, but Brian thought he was a good one. At 350 yards I got a rest, but didn't feel good with the wind. We worked on getting closer, which was fairly easy as he was feeding up the mountain away from us. Stopped again at 160 and waited. Screw this, he is just showing off his ass. Brian stays put and I continue on. Finally the billy turns and sees Brian. I drop my pack and get ready. On cue, he turns broadside. Boom, goat down. Shoulders are gone, but he is still alive and needed to be finished.

View from the shot, a mere 98 yards.
kodiak_goat_down.JPG

Another shot.
kodiak_goat_down2.JPG

Life is good. Brian was right about the size, he goes 9 3/8?. Heck with this hair I would have been happy with any billy.
P1000333_edit.jpg

Not bad weather and scenery for goat butchering.
goat090.comp.jpg

Happy walk back to spike.
P1000354_edit.jpg

Nice place to have a delicious sandwich and take it all in.
P1000363Medium.JPG

We decide to spend one more night and head out in the morning. We get snow up high and rain most of the way down. Woopty do, I could care less. Here is a shot of Brian taking us back to the lodge. Somewhere above the fog and behind that highest peak, there are more goats. Hopefully I get a chance to see them again someday.
P1000451Medium.JPG

Back at the lodge I get a chance to relax and shoot a few ducks I don't see in MT.
P1000490-2.jpg

Let's see how close I can get to the locals.
P1000617Medium.JPG

Apparently pretty close.
P1000639Medium.JPG

I know, maybe too many pics. I kinda liked reliving it through these pics and killing critters was only a minor component of the entire experience.

I hope everyone had as much fun this fall as I did. Now to get through the friggin? winter up here.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-27-07 AT 11:26PM (MST)[p]Not such a thing as too many pictures of Kodiak. Enjoyed em all, thanks for posting them.

Did you run into many grizz? Have been told it can be hard sometimes to hunt deer and goats on Kodiak because there are so many bears to deal with.

Oakbuck

Wow.
I flew in that plane, stayed in that lodge and rode in that boat.
As always, you take great photos which are so important.
What a great trip you had with Brian.
I'm sue you will treasure the memories.
Thank you for taking us along for the ride.
HH

Congrats on a great goat!

Never too many pics. I was thinking about posting at least a dozen of my sheep hunt. I just need to learn how to get it done!

MTMILLER,
Great photos and don't worry about too many, its impossible. How did the eberlestock backpack treat you? It looks loaded down in the one photo. Congrats.

Fantastic pictures.... The butchering picture on the rock is great!!

Come on Falcon, lets see the sheep pictures..

Thanks for sharing your grand adventure!! Is that a Kimber in a WSM? Congrats on your outstanding mtn. goat!

miller,

That is a sweet story with pictures! Congrats on a great goat and trip. I wish I had the desire/ability to take more and better photos to document a hunt. Nicely done!

Miller:

This story gets better everytime you tell it.

I missed AK this year. Better go next year. Need to learn to take pics like you can.

Thanks for sharing.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

Miller,

Congrats on yet another successful hunt. That is a gorgeous looking goat. I bet Axle was pissed about not getting to participate in this hunt! Great photos as well!!

TUFF

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom