Knowing what you now know,..

sageadvice

Long Time Member
If you had the chance to do it all over again, what would you do different?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-14 AT 04:36PM (MST)[p]What kinda no subject question is this Joey?

You been drinkin'.....?

Me too but I am clean on Cig's and Cocktail's since Jan 6th----why that is important, I got no clue---haha

Robb

Robb, going on 17 years clean and sober. Been there though!

I don't know, what kind of question is this? a good one i think. Maybe one some could learn from.

Myself, I might have got in the points game back when i was going out of state every year. Back then, we really didn't need points to hunt decent areas but now if i had, i'd be able to go on smoker hunts every year.

Saved more money?

Got a better or different job?

Not gotten married, dated more women?

Never bought that damn Ford?

Lots of answers guys, what's yours? lol

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I have a good career that I couldn't have done without student loans, but I would have done whatever needed to be done to minimize my student loans. Thankfully I have minimal personal debt. I cant' wait for those student loans to be paid for.

I always thought that i'd kill a monster muley first, then i'd hunt the other stuff. Never happened, i missed out on some good hunting.

Joey

Speaking of Fords: my 18 year old half ton just blew a motor yesterday! I only had 252,000 miles on her. Now what will I do? (Don't say Dodge please)

Hell yes I'd have done things differently but I prefer to not look back at all the mistakes, except to not repete them too often.

Forward man, forward!

Zeke

Work in a different field. One I liked more and one that paid better. Maybe more education would have helped.

Started hunting in far off countries sooner. So much to see and hunt I'll never have the time or money to complete the bucket list.

zekers
I was born with them mad skills, and I was born cool. Some people will never know what its like to be that blessed :)

Wished I had made it past a 5th Grade Education!

But Work was more Important at the time!

I woulda Bought 3 Brand Damn New 2003 Dodge Cummins Pick-Ups,Wore each one of them out one at a time and woulda been Driving a Great Truck for Most/All my Life!

10 Years ago I woulda Bought Thousands of AR-15'S & Semi Loads of 22 Ammo just So I could do some of the Gouging today!

I woulda never wasted time & Money Applying for an LE Elk Tag that I may never get!

I woulda been Born at Least 20 Years sooner to Hunt during the Banner Day of Mule Deer!

The List is Endless!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

I would have been happy instead of sad when my high school sweetheart dumped me. Thought I wanted to marry her and stay there forever. To look at her 2 ax handle a$$ now, I'm sure glad I got my wife.

I'd have hunted harder when I was young, but there was so much beer and so many women. Who would have thought the 70's would be the best deer hunting ever and I missed a good part of it.

I also would have gone to college where I liked the place, not where I thought I'd get a good education. Should have gone to school in Gunnison. Or maybe Alberta. Huge bucks.

DIFFERENT......NOTHING. BLESSED WITH A GREAT FAMILY, BEEN MARRIED TO A GREAT GAL FOR 37 YEARS, RETIRED AT 49 YOA, ALL I DO IS HUNT, VERY HEALTHY, INVESTMENTS HAVE WORKED WELL, SITTING ON 142 POINTS IN 7 STATES/ PROVIDES GOOD HUNTS, DRINK A LOT OF DARK BEER, TRAVEL W/THE WIFE A LOT, ITS ALL GOOD !!!

HOWEVER.......I LOVE TO EAT, AND WOULD LIKE TO LOSE 30 POUNDS. ITS DINNER TIME...........GOTTA GO !!!............YD.

Brought several 1967 4x4 chevy pickups. I would be just be take the 2nd new one out of storage to use. Brought more land in the 70's

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-14 AT 08:15PM (MST)[p]Not have cashed in a pension plan and stayed out of debt when I was younger. Wish I could have learned to parent better at my early years. And wish I would have learned that Polaris atv's are a bad choice -Yamaha and Kawasaki are better. : )

Well in hindsight marring my half sister doesn't seem all that wise an idea.

2311idiot.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-14 AT 08:44PM (MST)[p]Not much; a couple of minor things. As a 19 year old I boxed a bit for the Navy. I should have pursued it a bit more. I lost my last fight to a guy who I should have beaten but I got too cocky. That cost me a trip to the Olympic trials where, given the placement, I would have had the honor of having my ass handed to me by Leon Spinks.

I probably shouldn't have dated this woman who liked to make movies while I was deployed.

I probably should have dated a couple others.

My grandfather pissed away, sold, what is now Moreno Ranch East in New Mexico. Sold it for less that a dollar an acre sometime near the depression.

Overall, not too many regrets.

I hunted with this group of guys that we agreed no one shot a buck unless it was 30 inches. That was our mind set and goal in those days. We weren't concerned about score points in was about width.
Back in 1996 hunting in SE Idaho around Mink Creek I was glassing and spotted this monster buck down in this steep canyon. About 800 ft. Elevation change top to bottom. Ranged him at 560yds. Had my cross hairs on him but didn't take the shot with my Wby. Little to much wind and I didn't want to wound such a beautiful animal. It was about 10am. The buck laid down in the brush where you couldn't see him any more. I was torn on whether to drop down and go after that buck or go back to camp and check on my 80yr old Dad. My buddy came over and I told him where the buck was laying. He stayed there watching for the buck while I went back to check on Dad. It took me 51/2 hours round trip to get back to the top of the drop off. ( Dad was fine but I worried about him being in camp alone). That was the only day hunting all season that I went off hunting without him and left him rest. I tried so hard to get him a shot that year. It wound up being his last hunt. He couldn't get into this country. So,....I got back to my buddy Pete after checking on Dad and he said the buck got up for about 15 seconds spun around and laid back down. By this time it was 3:30pm. In late October. I was torn...do I drop down now and go after that buck or do I wait and come back in the morning. I decided to wait and not try climbing back out in the dark in such steep country. I made a plan and the next morning my buddy and me dropped down and around into the area hoping to find that buck and get a shot. Yep, you guessed it. The buck moved and we never saw I'm. Two days later the season was over...I never went back those last two days because I was trying to find my Dad something to shoot...the next year I couldn't get there for the opening because the season opened on something like a Thursday. I was working and had to wait till Friday night to make the 16 hour drive to go hunting. We got there Saturday late and set up camp. I found out from my buddy that a guy shot that buck in almost the very spot we saw him the year before. The buck was over 36" plus.......that buck haunts me to this day....Should I have just taken the shot in the morning...No, I think that shot with in steep down hill shot in a 20mph wind was a good decision. But what I would have done different was I should have gone down after that buck after getting back from checking on my Dad and not wait till morning. I should have bit the bullet and climbed back out in the dark.
I haven't seen a buck like that one since.............

))))------->

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money"

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup, I just stir it.[/font]

There was a thread like this a couple of years back, and when Yellum chimes in many of you will remember it.

For me....... I would have talked my brother out of buying the powered parachute that he died in.

}}-SLIVER-->

Been a better Dad in the beginning, pursed an education for being a biologist, and not such an ##### to some when I was younger.
Could be much worse though and am happy where I am at especially learning from my mistakes!

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Here is an observation and a bit of advice....
Most of the time when us average guys are young we are too busy trying to get thru today to get ready for tomorrow.
I sat in a bar with my wife one night 20 some years ago and noticed the usual men were missing. Upon inquiry I learned they were on a hunting trip. I have been on a hunting trip with my cousins every year since then. You can find a way. Do it now!

Well Uncle sage!

Some of these Battle Wounds are adding up!

Most Job Related & some Self Inflicted doing what We like to do!

I think in my 2nd Life I'm gonna be a Movie Director!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Knowing what I now know I wouldn't buy a "slightly used" blow up doll off EBay. Who knew you could contract STDs from plastic?

I am pretty happy with the way most of it has turned out, but I wish I hadn't taken a header with a saw on my shoulder at age 40. I jacked my neck a bit and it's been all downhill from there. Hunt hard while you can.

I would not have sold my built 71 Camaro SS or my primo 67 Firebird HO. and...

i would not have "dated" half the gals i did and spent more time with the other half.

Joey

I make a point of never wishing I'd thrown the ball rather than followed the full back around the left side, never wished I'd turned out rather than took the ride, never wished I'd turned north rather than south. Wishing I would have taken the other fork in the road just makes me sad and gets in the way of what I'm doing today. All I can do now and all I worry about is what I'm going to do with my time today and tomorrow, yesterday is gone and gone for ever.

I've got a long list of real good reasons, for all the things I've done. I've got a picture in the back of my mind of what I've lost and what I've won. I've survived every situation knowing when to freeze and when to run, and regret is just a memory written on my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now.

I've got a wild and a restless spirit. I held my price through every deal. I've seen the fire of a woman scorned turn her heart of gold to steel. I've got the song of the voice inside me, set to the rhythm of the wheel, and I've been dreaming like a child, since the cradle broke the bow , and there's nothing I can do about it now.

Running through the changes, going through the stages, coming round the corners in my life. Leaving doubt to fate, staying out too late, waiting for the moon to say goodnight. And ..........I could cry for the time I've wasted, but that's a waste of time and tears and I know just what I'd change, if I went back in time somehow, but........................ there's nothing I can do about it now.

I'm forgiving everything that forgiveness will allow, and there's nothing I can do about it now.

Written by Beth Nielson, sung by Willie Nelson, and I listen to it often, to keep me focused on now and the future, a not at all the mistakes and wrecks from my past.

Have a great day Sage, cuz there is something we can do about tomorrow!
DC

I wish i hadn't started going to my every other week therapy group almost 15 years ago now.

Actually, it's a group of friends of a common age and interests who sit around playing home game Poker on Sat nights until Midnight. I'm kidding about wishing i'd not started. During the Winters when we play, i can't think of a thing i'd rather do and of a better bunch to be with.

Thru the years, i've gone from one who maybe lost more than he won to one who usually cashes in for a decent money gain. Knowing what i now know, i figure i'm going to take my bud's for a few more bucks tonight. :)

Have fun all!!

Joey

BC, the only good times that matter now are the good times were still going to have! CUZ, THE GOOD TIMES AIN'T OVER FOR GOOD.

DC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom