Kitty hunting

marley

Very Active Member
Went on my first cat hunt with dogs yesterday. We were unable to find any fresh mountain lion tracks but came across what we thought would be a pretty big bobcat. We let the dogs loose and 5 hours later they had this nice tom in a tree. I can see how hunting cats with dogs could be addicting. I'm already wanting dogs of my own now.

2261imag0032-1.jpg

Great looking Bobcat! Five hours? That's one tough cat. 5 hours is a marathon.

California used to pay a $5 bounty on Bobcats. Back then I hooked up with a guy who had hounds and over a two year span we treed probably 50 Bobcats. The vast majority of the ones we caught treed within an hour. Some a lot quicker than that. I shot a lot of them with my bow. Man, those were fun times.

Eel

This was my first time so I don't know a whole lot about it. The gps showed the dogs running around in one spot forever and then they left it. When we got to where they had torn the place apart we found a huge mountain full of boulders. It looked like the bobcat had been all over in the rock pile and the dogs had a hard time finding which way the cat had come in and left. It also looked like the cat had been under just about every rock there. I don't know if that is why it took so long or not but they spent forever in that place and then the gps showed a straight line to the tree they had him in pretty quick. They must have jumped him out of the rocks. I don't know for sure but it was a blast.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-13-11 AT 11:46AM (MST)[p]That cat must have been using all nine lives to go that long, LOL! I've shot a few bobcats while hunting deer down in south Texas, but have never run them with dogs. I'm really hoping a lion hunt that I planned to go on in Montana last month that was to be filmed by the Drop Zone TV crew will be rescheduled for next season. It was suddenly cancelled because of some crew scheduling conflicts, but it's looking good for next January or February. It's something I've always wanted to do after spending a lot of time back in the 50s chasing coons at night with our dogs!

Congrats...don't get into hounds...pretty soon your divorced, a drunk, always on the mtn., and you cannot afford gas for your beat to crap truck :)

marley, that makes perfect sense. Normally bobcats get winded pretty quick and will tree a short distance after the jump. It's all exciting.

While what you say may be true for cougar eelgrass, that is not the case with bobcat.....the little bastards can go forever and outrun even the best hounds if they choose. I get schooled by the little bastards on a regular basis and getting the bobcat jumped and running is often just the beginning of what can turn out to be a very long day. Trust me on this, of been running hounds longer than I care to admit.

Catman is right too, steady jobs, steady relationships, and a life of sanity all take a backseat to a smokin' hot cat track!

Nice job on the cat Marley.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom