Kitchen Knife Block.

lve2143

Very Active Member
I'd like to have a GOOD set of knives for
the kitchen. I'm like some of you, I LOVE to
cook and just mess around on the grill or in the
kitchen. My Mom has a neat set of Cold Steel's, and
I really like'em.
One of my buddies has a larger (and more expensive)
set of Henckles, and I REALLY like them.

Any thoughts on this subject from you guys that like to
cook ???
I think a Great set of Quality kitchen knives would be
really handy. I'm tired of my old tired stuff.

Larry

Pricing some of the good steel out there, I'm not sure if throwing away cheap knifes when dull, wouldn't save money & time.

Costco has a pretty good deal on quality cooking knives. Avoid Chicago cutlery, make sure the steel part goes through out the whole handle, look for good workmanship.

If you buy Henkels you will do fine.

We spent quite a bit on a good set and at the time I thought it was stupid. That was about 6 years ago and they are still great knives today. Spend a little extra and get something that will last. You won't regret it.

I like my Henkels.

horsepoop.gif

Larry,

Hell do like I do and just use your hands and have plenty of paper towels........save a lot of money that way. LOL

Brian

Several things you should look for in a good set that will last.
Steel- should be stainless steel for rust resistance, high carbon steel is nice, but will rust while looking at it. Do not get any blades marked "440", "400" except for 440C, notice the "C" after 440. It is a good kitchen steel, as is several of the german steels. The others are 440A, 440B and not worth a damn.
Should have a full tang for strengh, and a handle materiel that will not be damaged by the dish washer, unless you plan to hand wash and dry all the time. make sure it is very comfortable in the hand. A large and med chef's knife, paring knife and carving knife with fork should do for most occasions. A smaller knife, such as a sandwich knife is nice also. A good steel or ceramic rod is very useful to maintain the sharpness. For a good set, you will need to spend about 200 bucks and up. Shop around and you may find a good price. Most knife stores can be pricy with their markup. I make custom hunting knives, but do not ask. I have made two kitchens sets for my Sons and I do not plan to make any more. Too darn labor intensive and the price I would ask to even consider it, would knock your pants off!!!
Henkel does make good kitchen knives and offers several different kitchen sets for a good choice based on your wants and needs. There is some Japanese knives that are very decent also, just stay away from AUS6 stainless steel. Some of their better knives will set you back 200 bucks per blade.
RELH

Gin-Su, they can cut thru a phone book and still slice a tomato! For only 2 payments of $19.99 or 12 payments of $3.99 on QVC. They also throw in a whole set of free steak knives and they never need sharpening!

Larry,
I talked to Cindy and she said that although she likes that you cook she doesn't trust you with sharp objects. You just go on and keep using those safety scissors like I told you...

Love our "cutco" brand knives.
A little spendy but they work just fine.
I cringe when they go in the dishwasher, but they are dishwasher safe. They take and hold an edge, until some dummy uses them without a cutting board between them and the tile countertop!!!
Later
Foghorn

LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-08 AT 10:34AM (MST)[p]
I have a pile of good blades, but my favorite is my newest additions to the collection, they are made for cromova 18 stainless. They are the best. it use to be that the only way to get a good knife was to buy carbon steel. Not so anymore, good stainless is now available.

Here's a few in order, if you have the money, hands down the Globals are the way to go. I like Henckle but for the good stuff they are overprices and for less money, you get IMHO a better knife with Global.

Global
(japan) - great knives, for the money, I dont think they can be beat, an 8" chef will cost you around $100. . .

Anolon - advanced collection (I think you can get a good 12-15 piece set for under to 200 bucks with a block, -- they are made in china, but they use the best SS and boy are they a bang for the buck!!!) I found a 10" santoku for $30 bucks on time at Ross! I've never had to sharpen it. here's a link to some on amazon, you can read the testimonials too, http://www.amazon.com/Anolon-52616-Advanced-Collection-8-Piece/dp/B0002YL7S8

Henckle V (dont need any explanation, they are good but $$$)
not 1 or 2 or 3, but the good stuff. . .

One more thing, if youre going to buy good knifes, dont put them in a block, hang them on a knife magnet, and wash them by hand - dont put the in with other item in the DW, DO IT BY HAND!

You will have sharp knives for ever if you take care of them.

If you have a wife, or kids, youre buggard, I dont care what you spend on good knifes, they will smoke a good knife up faster than a lead pencil on a college final exam!

"Roadless areas, in general, represent some of the best fish and wildlife habitat on public lands. The bad news is that there is nothing positive about a road where fish and wildlife habitat are concerned -- absolutely nothing." (B&C Professor, Jack Ward Thomas, Fair Chase, Fall 2005, p.10).

Ive2143;

Tfinal gave you a good choice for knives if you find them more to your liking then the Henckels German knives.
Global makes their knives with a proprietary stainless steel that they call "Cromova 18". It is just a variation of 440V steel that vanadium has been added to the chemical makeup. It has 18% chromium added for rust resistance while 440C has 17%.
It is soft by my standards, 56-58Rc if at the lower scale. It does have a good reputation for holding it's cutting edge due mainly to a super thin cutting edge.
now if you want a very top line set of chef's knives that are made in Japan. look at the VG10 laminated blades. VG-10 is a high carbon cobalt core that is sandwiched in between layers of stainless steels. You have a super hard cutting edge that is protected by the stainless steel layers for rust resistance. These blades are for the very serious chefs who knows knives and wants the very best in production knives. Will set you back big bucks for a set.
I would go with the Henckels or Global and I think you will be more then satisfied with your kitchen knives.
For payment of our advice, Tfinal & I would like to be invited over for the big bar-b-cue when you test your new knives. I have one request, do not loan your new knife to Tfinal while I am there.

RELH

Thanks for the good info guys.
I'm sick of my sickly collection of
knives that won't cut through hot butter.
I'm going to look into this info starting tomorrow.

Dslaughter, Cindy knows I'm more dangerous with blunt
objects than a good sharp knife. That's why she worries
when I hang out with you, the Ultimate blunt object. :)

Larry

Larry, Larry, Larry words can be hurtful...
I know you're just painfully distraught because your boys just took a whoopin in the play offs and your buddy shot your big deer for you... (could you post a pic of that thing if you get a chance. I heard he was a HOSS).
You go on now and watch Comanche Moon like I told you...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom