Kifaru vs. Mystery Ranch - another pack thread

M

MaresNest

Will be used for 3 night trips as well as day pack. Kifaru, I am looking at the Duplex Timberlines. Mystery Ranch would probabaly be the Longbow (for day pack) and 6500 bags on a NICE frame.

Anybody tried both brands? What's your opinions? I'm tall, 6'4".

Thanks!

I have used both brands.
They are both outstanding! MR is a little heavier, and a little different thinking around suspension.

I LOVE Kifaru, and I really really like MR.

The Kifaru just disperses a load like you cannot believe.

Both Great!

Hope that helps.

email me if you have more specific questions.

[email protected]

I've never used Kifaru, but I just bought a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab this year. I have used it to haul one bull elk and a mature buck this last weekend. The bull I was with a buddy and we did it in 2 trips. The pack worked perfectly and was very comfortable. I think total weight of that pack job was about 100 for the heavier load. No big deal really. The deer I shot last weekend was another story. When I got home and weighed my pack it weighed 142 pounds. That's the heaviest load I've ever carried and it sure felt like it! It really sucked! The only reason it sucked is because I only weigh 180 pounds......my pack was less than 40 pounds less than my weight. The pack performed great though and held all my day gear, tripod, spotting scope, gun, whole deer and caped head, extra clothes, etc. The pack never seemed to want to bust a seem or zipper or anything. Like I said it did great. For as heavy as it was I would say it was kind of comfortable too......not sure how comfortable you can be though with real heavy packs. Not sure if this helps, just my experience with MR.

I'm a Kifaru fan. I've had mine over a decade and it's still going strong. It will haul more than I am capable of carrying. When you order, you fill out a measurement chart and they build the frame to fit you, so a tall fit should not be a problem.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-31-12 AT 08:41PM (MST)[p]I've owned MR Crewcab, Big Horn, and longbow. They were just too heavy for me. I sold them all. I liked the longbow the best out of all 3. They are well built and USA made.

I now own a T1 from Kifaru. It's the best backpack I've ever owned. It compresses nicely for daypack, and spent several nights in the high country with it this year. The suspension is amazing. The weight is acceptable to me, 5lb 9 oz at 7200 cu-in (5400 body 1800 ext pockets). Mystery Ranch Nice frame with 6500 is 9lb 8 oz. The Longbow with NICE frame is 6lb 8 oz with 2400 cu-in.

I used the T1 to pack my elk out with it this year, and it performed flawlessly. When it is cold out the material is pretty loud. I did break the waist belt tightener, but I'm sure Kifaru will fix it when I get around to sending it in.

The only pack I really want now is a Kifaru KU5200 (2lb 13 oz).

If you are only going to spend 3 nights out of it then you could use the T2 (5200 cu-in @ 5lb 4.5oz) or KU3700 (2lb 9 oz).

You might want to look at Stone Glacier Packs. I never owned one, but reviews are favorable.

Thanks all...keep opinions coming please. Anybody with a duplex frame Kifaru?

I cant give any info on the Kifaru. I have a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab, for mabey the last 5-6 seasons. Works great. I do day trips and up to 7+ days back packing and it works for it all. I do agree its a heavy pack but it built like a tank. Only issue Ive ever had was slammed a belt buckle in the truck door, mystery ranch replaced it for free. Mystery Ranch customer service is A1.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom