Kids antelope hunt help

N

newbeestl

Hello all. Well, last year didn't go as planned and my nephew didn't get his antelope. He did get a nice muley doe though, so that made the trip. We're planning another trip for '13 and bringing his brother along too as he will be 12 by then. He thinks he can show his older brother how to do it, LOL. We hunted 47 in mid to late October last year to avoid the crowds but that seemed late to me and the antelope were very skittish, which didn't help my nephew much. I've been looking at other units that open sooner so maybe we can hunt in September. We won't be hunting opening weekend, as we would rather not deal with crowds with youngsters along. Right now I'm considering 50, 61 and 63. If anyone has any info or ideas on that, it would be appreciated. I'm also considering paying a trespass fee on a very large ranch so the crowds would be controlled. Since we're only hunting does, I'm thinking that wouldn't cost too much. If anyone has any suggestions on that please let me know too. Thanks, and good luck to you guys who get to hunt this year! It's a blast!

With as long as you have to make plans and if you only plan to shot does I would get a list of ranchers and make some calls. I would almost bet that you will be able to find one or more that will let you take the kids on to shoot does for free.

I read this forum a lot more than I post and I can tell you that TOPGUN certainly knows WY hunting much better than I. I suspect his advice is spot on.

If you do choose to go with unit 63, however, shoot me a PM and I will try to help you out. I have only hunted there once, but I learned a few things that might help you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and have fun taking the kids.

Thanks for the info guys. I will continue my research and make some calls, see what our options are.

Oh, I should add a bit more too, just so you guys can get a better idea of what we're looking for. We're coming from southern IL so in order to keep the drive reasonable, I'm thinking middle to eastern part of the state. We also pull a camper out and like to camp away from everyone. The past 2 trips we camped on BLM out in the middle of nowhere and loved it. Amazing how many stars there are up there! We also mixed in a doe muley hunt since the muley season was on while we were out there in mid October the last 2 trips. Not sure that will be an option if we come out mid September though, we're all rifle only hunters. Should also mention the kids like to shoot, so a few prairie dogs can go a long way for them! We also like to fish, so that's why we've hunted 47/48 the last times, so we could be close to good fishing. More then anything though, this trip is all about a camping vacation with family. We enjoy the outdoors a lot and love the scenery and country of WY. It gives us an opportunity just to relax. We also like to hike so we've enjoyed the areas we've visited so far. WY has been great, really looking forward to the next trip!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom