Kenetrek Boots

bullskin

Very Active Member
My White's smokejumpers finally gave out after twenty-five years and several resoles, and now somehow leak sand and gravel. Great boots-- tough as nails, but never water tight or very comfortable, and so I am considering Kenetrek as replacements. I am trying to decide between the desert guide and the mountain guide. I wish the desert guides were taller (only 7 inch), but like the idea that they breathe well. The Mountain guides are 10 inch, but have a vapor barrier which I figure will last about one season and then be worthless except for trapping perspiration. Can anyone confirm my suspicions? What I really need is a boot that will hold up to the rough, rocky terrain of northern Nevada and keep the gravel and seeds out. I do not have much opportunity to hunt in snow, but would expect damp grass, etc. Any advice?

I'm not sure I can confirm anything, I have 2 pair of Kenetreks the mountain extreme and the desert guide which I purchased in May. I really like both. I have worn the desert guides at least every other day this summer it breathes really well and is the coolest summer boot I've had to date. Kenetrek is one of the few boots I can get in my size, 15 B so they fit well out of the box. The Mountain Guides looked really nice but I couldn't try a pair on an I to was worried about the vapor barrier lasting. I do wish the desert guide was taller I pick up a lot of seeds in my boots and would like the extra height for possible snake strikes as I run into a lot of rattlers during bow season. That's probably silly as I've never been struck by a snake.

Cornhusker---That's not a foot you've got, it's a yard! If you run into a lot of rattlers I'd be wearing some snake leggings, at least whenever I was walking to and from my stand. You never know when that one time you miss seeing or hearing one and he doesn't miss you. That was the only negative I had about hunting down in the south brush country of Texas with Dad every year. I killed one that almost got me when I was coming back to the moped after the morning hunt one time. The sucker was 64" long with 13 rattles and would have caused a problem if I hadn't been alert and I saw bigger one than that down there!

Bullskin. I just got a pair of the Mt Guides. Will be putting them to work this fall. I will keep you in mind how well they hold up. So far I really enjoy wearing them and the break in was very easy. This is my first pair of Kenetreks and wont be my last I'm sure.

Any Membrane will eventually wear out that is for sure.
They move back and forth, and the abrasion will create leaks.
I think you could keep them water proof for 2-3 years though.

I have and have used both. They are outstanding boots both of them.
They do serve different purposes, Hot weather Desert, vs Mountain, cooler and wet.

Hope that helps.
Mike
ireviewgear.com

If you have been wearing White's for 25 years, your feet are complete strangers to comfort!

Great boots!.....if you are a firefighter, simply because they won't melt. Other than that......?

Kenetrek boots are VERY comfortable, right out of the box and if they wear out ....buy new ones.

Put some broken glass and rusty nails in them and they will feel just like White's!

Always cracks me up, when people spend money for gas, beer, smokes, ....etc, etc, etc, on a monthly basis, but won't consider the relatively cheap cost of foot comfort, over the same period of time.

It is dumb, in my opinion.

If you put aside the cost of a case of beer, each month, you could buy new boots every hunting season and have money left over for new socks as well.......Hell, I bet most of you spend more on ice and bottled water than you do on footwear!

I KNOW Paul Crawford does!

"Being an idiot is NOT an art form. Give it up!"

I have had two pairs of Kenetrek Boots and was not impressed. I returned them both and it cost me money,pain and lots of blisters. If you want to save, they sell their Kenetrek Boot returns on EBAY. I have switched to Hanwag Boots from Lathrop and Sons. I fit them with Meindl Perfekt cork inserts and I love them. You can only buy the Hanwags online.
mh

MM: I have never heard of Hanwag until now. Can you describe some of the differences you have observed in the two? One pattern I have noticed with either of the Kenetrek styles is that the footbed arch is misplaced or misshapen relative to my own--a problem I have never had before. I don't know if replacements exist that would alleviate this problem. Thanks for the info.

What size foot do you have ? I have a wide foot . The Kenetrek dont come wide enough for me. I had to send them in and have them stretch there wide to get it close. I was going to try the foot beds but cannot , not enough room in the boot.Other then that my Kennys are comfortable enough. They just take 50 miles to break them in . Kind of a stiff boot.

I had a pair that didn't last long enough to get thru a season, liked them at first but when I got into some serious miles I ended up hateing them, they were water proof until the sole came off twice in less than a month. Started using Crispi boots and like them alot better.

If you can get a good deal on Kenetreks then I would recommend them. I have picked up several pairs for cheap, I love some of them but have had issues with others.

If I was paying retail I would go with Lowas (Sheep Hunters, Tibets etc.) Hanwags or Crispis. Another boot to look at for cheap is the Asolo Sasslong, you can get them at Sierra Trading Post. If you sign up for their dealflyer and wait for a good (35-40%) coupon discount they will come to just over $100.

Topgun it's really not good having feet that large and narrow. I had Meindl's before Kenetrek and a special order B was really wide I was told that was the European sizing difference . I only spot and stalk with a bow and snake leggings are uncomfortable but you're right I should wear them I've had some close calls but never been struck.

I bought the additional add in arch and switch the arch inserts for the pair I'm wearing. The superfeet insoles are about 40 bucks additional but worth it in my opinion. Everybody has such different feet it's hard to say what is best for you. Try what you can find in stores on and buy what works for you. I went the trial and error method which got expensive

In 2010 I bought the non-insulated Mtn Extreme I wore off the soles in about 600-800 miles. I was working in survey field in eastern NV and the sand/desert pavement ate up the soles. I bought a pair of desert guides and they lasted about 10 months. I'm still wearing them, but they done. I'm not impressed for $350. Might try Lowa's next time. I got the Mtn. Extreme resoled in Montana and they cannot be worn.

That's depressing, and also the reason that I have continued to wear White's all of this time. Still, I understand Nickman's point that nothing lasts forever...

I snagged me up a pair of the Kene's Desert guide boot in the clearance dept today online for 269 (of course i got lucky finding the only size 8 left). I thought I'd try them out while its hot outside. Plus I sent my mountain extremes back today to get stretched out and checked over..... so I wouldnt have had a good boot for a month or so. I'll let you know how they feel when I get them.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Save yourself the heartache and buy a pair of Zamberlan boots! Comfy as hell right out of the box relatively no break in period, they can be rebuilt where kenetrek can't.
I bought a pair of kenetrek and hated every second my feet were in them...I spent $350 on them so I was hell bent on making them work. They never did so I bought Zamberlan and I'll never buy kenetrek again. If you think kenetrek are comfy out of the box you will be in heaven in a pair of Zamberlans.

Traditional >>>------->

Bullskin,

I had two pairs of Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hikers. The toe box was way too tight. The insoles sucked. I used some green Superfeet for replacement. Customer service took them back at Kenetrek at a discount. They have lots of used pairs of boots on EBAY. That says something about good customer service but also bad fits. The Talon sole was great for traction but they were not what I expected for the money involved.

I have had the Hanwags for a few years. Great Vibram Fuora sole that does not harden in cold weather and has great traction. The lower eyelets have ball bearings that allow a good cinch up. They hold your foot. They break in easy. The factory insoles in the Hanwags suck as bad as the Kenetreks. I experimented and found the Cabela's Meindl Perfekt cork insoles worked great for my feet at around $ 25.00. Lathrop and Sons sells custom insoles that I heard were great but I am not in on the price for them. Lathrop and Sons is family owned and they care if their boots don't work.

mh

Food for thought,I where a 10 in every boot I have,a friend of mine wanted to sell his Kenetreks I ask what size they were and he said 12's I said to big,he told to try them on and they fit pretty good.11 1/2 would have done it.he whore them on one trip to Arz.stick with my Danner's a couple more years.cowboy57

I wear a size 12 in everything I wear including my Kenetreks. By far the best boot I've owned. I've had mine for 5 years now and I would dare say they have at least another 2 in them. In 2009 I went on a dall sheep hunt in Alaska. I took my Kenetreks, my friend bought a new pair of Hanwags, and my other friend had the Perfekt Hunters. By the time the hunt was over the Hanwags looked like someone threw them through a wood chipper. He got home and threw them away. I'm still using the same Kenetreks.

I have some Kenetrek (Mountain Guide) boots and they have worked just fine for me. I live in southern Idaho and its probably close the same terrain you have in northern Nevada. I wore my boots every day and put 2 years on them and finally wore the soles to slicks. They were a little hard to break in and my left foot would occasionally get a hot spot but after a while they broke in. Other than the soles wearing out they are still good boots but I dont wear them anymore because of that. Never have leaked one bit and they get wet a lot. Im trying some Miendel boots right now and so far so good but they are NOT the most comfortable boots to break in.

Hey guys, thanks for a lot of good information. I have begun looking at the various makes that have been suggested but am still a long way from making a decision on this. Please, keep me posted as developments arise. BS

Marley,

Throwing out a new pair of boots? Any contact with Lathrop and Sons? Any attempt to seek reimbursement for the wood chipper action? Your friend must be loaded if he can afford to do that. My experience was great service with Lathrop and Sons and a great set of boots with Hanwag. I do 30+ miles of hiking in mine every week in the Summer and Spring. During hunting season that doubles. No problems.

mh

Kenetrek boots are the bomb. Got a pair last year used them a ton all hunting season and they are ready for another season. I would recommend them to anybody....

I had the same problem with the soles wearing out really fast. I put 500-600 miles on them and the front of the sole and rear 2 inches of the sole are toast. $350 for a pair of boots that only lasted 4 months is pretty steep. Needless to say I'll never buy another pair. Look at the lowa's meindles, hanwags, zamberlan, asolo, they all have vibram soles which will last much longer.

325wsm - I couldn't agree more. Both my soles wore out in 6 months or so. Seasonal use of a couple hundred miles they may work fine.

I have a pair of Kenetrek and didn't have very good luck with them. It's crazy how some love theirs and others hate them. Mine had the front cap come unglued. I sent them back and they reglued them but it didn't last. It looked like they used shoe goo. I wasn't impressed. But the soles on mine have lasted well. My feet don't fit them well as my toes hurt after I wear them. I purchased a pair of Hanwags and they are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned. I still have the original insole in them. They have lasted pretty well so far, although the heel wore out very fast. It's a cheap fix though. I've owned Danner Pronghorn, Alaskan guide and Meindl perfekt hiker among other cheap pairs but so far the Hanwags have been the best for me.

If I had the chance to do it over again.( and I guess I will) I would go in to Lathrop and sons and get fitted . Because if the don't fit right , it doesn't matter how great the boots are. I really like their foot bed system. I was going to try out a set with my Kennys . But there is no room with my double to triple E width. Kenetrek did a custom fit on my boots at no extra charge but it was threw the mail.

I purchased a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme in 2010 and by the time they had 150 miles on them they leaked like a sieve. I sent them back and they sent me a new pair but I haven't worn them yet.

I have a pair of Meindl Perfekt Hunters that are a good boot. I have a narrow foot and the Kenetreks fit me better than the Meindls if they didn't leak.

I have talked to people that loved their Kenetreks but I have also talked to others that like me have had problems with them.

Some people may not like the way the Meindls fit but I have never heard of them leaking or not holding up.

My two cents is that it all depends on what you like in a boot and how they fit your feet. I have had surgery on one foot, broke one and have a Mortons Neuroma on one. I've been through some boots. I have Kenetreks now a like them. I like or need a stiff boot. I've had Meindl,Lowa,Hanwag's. I believe they are all real good boots. Lowa, Hanwags didn't fit me well. Meindl fit well an have great uppers but there souls suck. When they blow they blow an you better have a back up pair with you. I've had that happen to me twice. My best two cents to you is if you can go to one of the hunting shows were the boot supplier is there so that you can try them on and walk in them. Might not be possible but would help prevent you from trying them all like I have had to do. Can get expensive. I own four pair of Kenetrek's and Safari's are a different size than my Desert Guides and Mountain Extremes because the way they fit my feet. It is all about what fits you and hat you like. There are several good boots out ere. Try some on first if that is possible. There are a lot of good insoles to try also. I use Powerstep ProTect. Superfeet are good put to hard for me. Good luck.

I also have to have a stiff boot because of a bad left ankle.I agree with Osprey on the soles of Meindl boots. The uppers are great and they hold up (Perfekt and Denali). The soles are just too stiff for me on the Meindl. I have never had a pair of Lowas, Zamberlan or Crispi boots. Insoles are my pet peeve as the expensive boots usually come with crappy insoles (Kenetrek,Hanwag,and some Meindl). Socks are also crucial. I don't go with the sock/liner concept. Best sock for me in Summer/Spring is Lorpen Coolmax (if you can find them). For hunting season I have found nothing better than the Bridgedale Trekker. Easy to find most of the the socks cheap at Sierra Trading Post. If you like a roomy toe box, a superior lacing system, a firm but not stiff sole, good customer service and a sturdy boot I think Hanwags are great. Just swap out the insoles.

I went with a pair of Kennetreks a few years ago and blew them out in a year between shed hunting, scouting and hunting. NOT worth the money in my opinion. I have Meindl Perfect boots now and have two years on them, they are showing some serious wear, but not falling apart like many lesser boots I have owned (including kennetreks). Just bought another pair of Meindl's, but still have plenty of life in the original pair. The Meindl's are half the price of the Kennetreks and a much better boot.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I ended up going with Lathrop and Sons and ordered Lowas Tibets, with the synergy insole. They didn't carry Kennetrek, but I liked the idea of a retailer who would address any fitting problems that arise. Interestingly, they indicated that Hanwag boots were in a state of flux and they directed me to Lowas as a superior alternative. I didn't ask for details, but perhaps those of you who have purchased Hanwags in the past would like to know...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom