keep your frame pack quiet while hunting

S

sk

I just thought I would post this randrom tip if any of you guys have a frame pack that is making some noise....either squeaking from the straps that are holding the pack to the frame (my problem) or even from brush hitting it.

Hockey tape is a miracle worker....sticks well and the exterior is somewhat like a rough cloth if you're not familiar with it...it's like 2 or 3 bucks for a roll.

My Eberlestock X2 pack had a really annoying squeak while I was hunting I was so disgusted I almost quit hunting that week...I searched online about it, to find out eberlestock came out with a "fix" for the squeak by a different method of connecting the straps to the frame. That still didn't fix it entirely for me and saw someone post about hockey tape....boy were they right, it's a miracle worker. I am considering buying another frame pack (bigger) and you can bet it will be wrapped in hockey tape, if only to prevent noise when brush hits it.

Just thought I would say something incase anyone else is having a similar problem, enjoy!

I have had this problem w osprey packs. I understand it is quite common w many brands of packs. (I've heard Kuiu packs also squeak like crazy.) It drives me nuts. I even sent a pack back to osprey to fix it and it didnt work--still squeaked. Before that I called again and they said to just apply more spray silicone to the internal parts. I have a second osprey pack and it squeaks worse than the other one.

I'd love to try your hockey tape idea but I don't think I can completely disassemble it. With that in mind does anyone have any more ideas?

I have a Badlands Sacrifice and it does the same thing and I too felt like it drew my attention of disgust to the point I almost threw the pack off. Luckily, one of the zippers gives access to the support rods to add the "Hackey" ('lil Boston humor) tape and now the squawk is gone. I know some or the other packs have access like this like the Osprey Atmos. This a great tip that I have used for awhile now. I will probably use something similar on my Badlands Ox frame when I mate it to my Sacrifice (Ox-rifice ) to make sure nothing clanks against the metal frame.

GOOD LUCK!!

?-ERock-> ?

i wish i could say....i don't know anything about that pack or what's causing the noise....but contact from straps on a frame you can access...hockey tape is a miracle

best of luck, it's horribly disappointing to be doing a stalk making no noise except for a pack squeaking..i would have a new pack if i wasn't able to fix mine.

i as well am looking at getting a badlands ox, and even if it doesn't squeak im going to hockey tape the metal frame for a noise dampener

yeah the tape works well for a short time anyway. after a few days of hunting and 40 or 50 miles of hiking the tape wore through and began squeaking again, luckily the tape is cheap and easy to apply. i was thinking about trying some spray on bedliner type stuff. anyone tried it?

>The best way to stop squeaks
>is buy a Kifaru pack
>and never have any squeaks
>to begin with.

for doubl;e the price i hope they dont squeak

Thanks for the tip. Although I havn't used a frame pack since the 1980's, I'll remember the hockey tape idea for anything similar that may arise.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-12 AT 03:36PM (MST)[p]I've got around 50 miles on my eberlestock x2, haven't had it wear through yet....but you're right for 3 bucks it's not hard to retape and i still have most of the roll left over...I'll hold off on the kifaru. I was looking at them the other day, but my wish list is too long to want to spend that much at the moment

I bought my Kifaru in 2000 and the wife's in 2001. They're both still going strong. Been everywhere from AK to AZ, 120 degrees to 18 degrees, rain, snow, you name it. Carried out mule deer, elk and caribou. Best money I've spent on hunting equipment. The only other piece of hunting equipment that hasn't been replaced in that time is our rifles.

Thanks for the idea on the hockey tape. Worked pretty good silencing a couple of ladder stands I have also. Appreciate the tip!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom