Kayaker missing

I've fished there a lot. They found his kayak washed up on shore. I fish alone a lot but it's not the best way to go. Sad deal. Just a kid.

US Coast Guard and Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office Suspend Search For Missing Kayaker
Hey Eel I was at the cove this weekend and strangely enough there were two Kayak's fully equipped for sale at the garage sales. Funny how that happens after a shark attack.
We killed the Petrale Sole got some two pounders, between me and my buddy we got about 10 each and then got lings and rockfish. The salmon wouldn't cooperate but went off the next day. Isn't that how it always works. Can't wait to go back next month had a blast

Glad you had a good trip Mike. The salmon are a no show up in Eureka so far. The lack of whales indicates no krill around. I'm halibut fishing tomorrow or Wednesday. I was going to go this morning but the rain....nah, I'm not that hungry yet. :unsure:

Did he just drown or a shark get him?
He just drowned. He didn't heed the rules of kayak fishing in the ocean. He wore chest waders which is like tying a concrete block to your waist. He had a life jacket but wasn't wearing it, or took it off to try and remove the waders. He had no VHF radio and no partner. It's unclear why he left the kayak but he probably fell in, everybody does at one point or another. I haven't yet. As soon as he left the kayak he was done.

Nothing more uncomfortable than wearing a wet suit or dry suit while kayak fishing in the ocean. I hate it, especially when the sun comes out. It's the only way to survive the cold water though. People should just buy a real boat...

Me and another guy drug a kid out of the San Juan once who got in over the top of his waders. Once they filled, the current took him downstream in an instant. He was ok but if we hadn't been there, I'm sure he would have drowned.

I used to be able to do a pretty good roll in a kayak. I also used to be able to bend over to tie my shoes. :(

Yeah, I noticed the waders right off as well. I wear a wading belt with chest waders no matter if the water is only a few feet deep. It's a terrible thing but I'm glad they were able to recover his body.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom