Kaibab 12AW Fall Youth Hunt

L

ljobaz

My 11 year son was drawn for 12AW Oct 8-11 doe hunt this fall and is really excited. It has been 10 plus years since I have been there. Any suggustions where to start. We are able to go a few days early and turkey hunt. Whole family going as well to do some small game hunting also. I was drawn 6a cow elk and 23 deer so I am not able to get up there prior to scout.

Congrats to your son drawing the tag. My daugther also drew again this year. We have always had luck down around Sowatts(sp) point road. This area burned back in the early ninties and lots of high points to glass from. this years hunt is earlier than past hunts, not sure if deer movement will have begun. Good Luck.
Gilbert

Your son will do just fine! Especially if you are going to be turkey hunting prior to the Youth deer hunt, finding some deer should not be a problem! ;)

We've been up there several times with the kids over the past years. I'll be up there this year with my 11 year old daughter! :) You're right that the hunt is quite a bit earlier than in the past. We've always focused in the "transition zones". The canyons & ridges on the west side that have Ponderosa & oak mixed, along with some juniper, etc... Right around this elevation is where we've had the most luck.

PM me if you want some details... ;)

Good luck!

S.

:)

Thanks for the information, I'm not sure who is more excited my son or myself.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom