Just fun music

eelgrass

Long Time Member
Do you ever just want to listen to music just because it makes you happy? Who cares what the lyrics are....it don't matter because that's not the point. The less meaning the better because it's all about the rhythm. It could even be classical music.

Back in the day, I could drive all night if I had good music to keep me awake. Led Zeppelin- Black Dog was/is one of those songs.

Do you have one? Or more?

Do you ever just want to listen to music just because it makes you happy? Who cares what the lyrics are....it don't matter because that's not the point. The less meaning the better because it's all about the rhythm. It could even be classical music.

Back in the day, I could drive all night if I had good music to keep me awake. Led Zeppelin- Black Dog was/is one of those songs.

Do you have one? Or more?

I do........ but it helps if it’s in a foreign language. I have some Zydeco cds or listen to 640 AM out of Shiprock, Arizona, the Navajo Station there has some pretty good stuff that I only hear the rhythm and the beat because I don’t know the words.

When I was a road rep selling photo equipment from 1980-84, I did alot of driving in AZ & NM & to LV once a month. That was prior to satellite radio or CDs. With limited radio reception in many areas, I relied on my cassette tape player to entertain me. A few tapes I can recall were Crystal Gayle, Cher, Presley, Neil Diamond, Tanya Tucker, Eagles, Commodores, Bee Gees, etc. & several '50s 'doo-wop' collections. Later on into the 1990s, I added Enya, Celine Dion, Backstreet Boys & a few others. My later CD collection reflected the same sort of trends. Once I signed us up for Sirius in 2009, I used the CD player sparingly.

Hell, I like story tellers - Tom T Hall is a favorite!!
That was early rap! They pass both off as music because they can't sing worth a damn.

oldmanrocker_1_.gif

This is first record I ever bought, It was probably about 1970/71
I was about 9 years old cruising around some Mall in Phoenix with my older brother.
Heard this song blaring out of a record store and I been hooked on Rare earth ever since that day.
This song rocks and has great positive lyrics.

Outside of runamuk and Blank, I ain't riding with the rest of you.
You mean you don't like my Eagles or Commodores???

I got started on the Commodores when we went on a Windjammer cruise in 1978. They had music on deck for dancing every night, and 'Easy ' was an oft played tune that grew on me.

But hey, no sweat; with Sirius in my Durango, you can pick your poison -- '50s, '60s, '70, 'etc.s There's even a separate station just for Presley! I never checked, but I bet one for the Beatles even.

Last edited:
"Gonna save all my money and buy a GTO" I had a 45 record player in mine and used to cruise around playing this....hahaha! If you punched it, the needle would skip...haha!

I have hundreds of favorites, here one, because it reminds me of my Dad. After we lost our farm my Dad took up carpenter.

Read the lyrics first because John slurs his words. The back ground music is great.

Grandpa wore his suit to dinner
Nearly every day
No particular reason
He just dressed that way

Brown necktie and a matching vest
And both his wingtip shoes
He built a closet on our back porch
And put a penny in a burned-out fuse

Grandpa was a carpenter
He built houses stores and banks
Chain-smoked Camel cigarettes
And hammered nails in planks

He was level on the level
And shaved even every door
And voted for Eisenhower
'Cause Lincoln won the war

Well, he used to sing me "Blood on the Saddle"
And rock me on his knee
And let me listen to the radio
Before we got TV

Well, he'd drive to church on Sunday
And he'd take me with him too
Stained glass in every window
Hearing aid in every pew

Grandpa was a carpenter

And voted for Eisenhower

Now my grandma was a teacher
Went to school in Bowling Green
Traded in a milking cow
For a Singer sewing machine

Well, he called her husband "Mister"
And she walked real tall in pride
And used to buy me comic books
After Grandpa died

Grandpa was a carpenter

And voted for Eisenhower

He!! ya. That’s a winner.

Some of the best never gets played over the air. You guys got to be a little off the centerline to find the good stuff.

Thanks wetmule, my anniversary is right around the corner.......... I believe i’ll share that one with my sweetie over a big ole Diet Coke. She’ll snort!!!

The lyrics on this one’s off the asphalt a few feet too. This guy’s out of a common bloodline, so this is something you might expect.

He!! ya. That’s a winner.

Some of the best never gets played over the air. You guys got to be a little off the centerline to find the good stuff.

Thanks wetmule, my anniversary is right around the corner.......... I believe i’ll share that one with my sweetie over a big ole Diet Coke. She’ll snort!!!
Happy Anniversary Lumpy... you’re a good man! ??

"Gonna save all my money and buy a GTO" I had a 45 record player in mine and used to cruise around playing this....hahaha! If you punched it, the needle would skip...haha!

So did my 8 track tape player every time you bit a bump it would skip...miss those days LOL

There was a time I was okay with the Isley Brothers and James Brown, but I never spent anything on their products. Jaw Hawk on the other hand......... I guess I was way too far off in the weeds when that dude was casting his spells. Truth is I wasn’t aware we had electricity, audio, or video during the days of the human meat eaters.

“Choosing lyrics has consequences

I won't admit this to everyone but I used to be a big Flatlanders fan. Kinda still am, actually. Jimmy Dale Gilmore, Butch Hancock, Joe Ely. I have 3 of their albums on CD.

There was a time I was okay with the Isley Brothers and James Brown, but I never spent anything on their products. Jaw Hawk on the other hand......... I guess I was way too far off in the weeds when that dude was casting his spells. Truth is I wasn’t aware we had electricity, audio, or video during the days of the human meat eaters.

“Choosing lyrics has consequences
Hawkins was part of MY '50s doo-wop era. I bought the record specifically to play for the Halloween theme at one of our monthly parties in high school. We really went out of our way to decorate for that one with webs made of angel hair strung all over the place & a plastic skelton one of my buddies borrowed from his physician father.

Ironically, just last night on Netflix I watched 'Get On Up,' Brown's life story starring the late Chadwick Boseman. He did a very good portrayal of Brown. A lot of people that were & are in the music business, often opine that James Brown was one of the greatest musical entertainers of all time. I wasn't ever a big fan, but he did make a mark in the industry.

And since I'm baring my soul....The lead singer Stephen Parker is a friend of my daughters and he sang at her wedding back in 1992. South 65. They made an album up in Canada.

I won't admit this to everyone but I used to be a big Flatlanders fan. Kinda still am, actually.
I can understand why. :ROFLMAO: That's the type of 'twangy' country I can't listen to for more than a minute or two. There are a few songs I like by the types that sing like that. Patsy Cline's Crazy & this one from Garth Brooks....

And since I'm baring my soul....The lead singer Stephen Parker is a friend of my daughters and he sang at her wedding back in 1992. South 65. They made an album up in Canada.

Oh, and now you start dropping names, eh? Well, see you & raise. :rolleyes:

I played softball for the KOY radio station in Phx & we played a double-header against the Eagles' team & then broke bread together at a fancy-schmancy that night. They paid!

And I was also friends with 'The Nuge.' Spent an hour alone with him in his dressing room once when he was in town for a show. He had called on his cell early one morning from his limo on the way to an airport in CT to let me know he was going to be in town. He left two tickets & a backstage pass for me at the gate.

At a Redman bass tourney at Lake Havasu one year, I dined in a small restaurant with the late Charlie Daniels, Eddy Money & their manager. I was part of the press corp but the only one they invited to dinner. Probably my lovable personality. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Oh, and now you start dropping names, eh? Well, see you & raise. :rolleyes:

I played softball for the KOY radio station in Phx & we played a double-header against the Eagles' team & then broke bread together at a fancy-schmancy that night. They paid!

And I was also friends with 'The Nuge.' Spent an hour alone with him in his dressing room once when he was in town for a show. He had called on his cell early one morning from his limo on the way to an airport in CT to let me know he was going to be in town. He left two tickets & a backstage pass for me at the gate.

At a Redman bass tourney at Lake Havasu one year, I dined in a small restaurant with the late Charlie Daniels, Eddy Money & their manager. I was part of the press corp but the only one they invited to dinner. Probably my lovable personality. :ROFLMAO:
I think it's called envy.....
envy.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom