July 5th....will he be a shooter?

chewyman55

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-08 AT 07:54PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-08 AT 07:50?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-08 AT 07:41?PM (MST)

I found this old boy in my moose unit today....not much of a moose hunter. This fall is the first time I will be pulling the trigger on Bullwinkle! To me...he looks like a potential taker but, I don't know how to field judge moose very well. Plus, he obviously has lots of time to grow. What do you pros think? I have other photos that show his palms better but...wouldn't fit on this posting.

487020bd314308b2.jpg

4870215635b2d346.jpg

487024f45b233adf.jpg

Yep, he's a shooter, good spread and points on the paddles, I wonder what his Brow tines look like... he needs to have some good brows, but right now he looks like he has potential

It's hard to see from these crappy pics but it looks like 2 on one side and 3 on the other. I studied him for a while at about 70 yds and then crept out. As you can see, he looked at me for a bit but, then went back to feeding.

He looks good to me even this early.Probably a trigger-puller in the fall. Certainly nice to know he is there.

Good Luck!

Yeah, I think he'll be a shooter. But again, I'd check on his fronts. I'm not a huge score freak, but if you want him to score well you want a bull with at least double fronts, then you can measure the length of his paddles clear up to the fork in the fronts, if he's only single you can lose a lot of inches. That is if you want him to score well. I would say if he looks good take him. Here is a pic of the WY moose i killed 2 years back.

4872459e06c54d66.jpg

487245e0081ecda7.jpg

Yes,he still has a fair amount of growing to do won't be a monster but a good respectable bull especially if this would be your 1st moose.

Good luck

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Nice bull, Wymoose! What area?

I took a beautiful bull in Area 1 in 2005. Really had a great time!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom