judging antelope

K

kyod

After six years of applying, I finally drew a Bookcliffs South antelope tag. Besides just looking and knowing it's a big one, how do I judge a trophy?

Growing up in Wyo. I used to chase speed goats every year. Here are a few key pointers we always used. There is a saying "double their ears" is around 14". This usually holds generally true, but is definitely not an exact science, but a good guide. Next, take a good look at those cutters. Try to measure the mass around those. Deep, solid cutters generall equate to a nicer buck. It will help the score too. Finally, and possibly most important, look for maturity in the antelope. This is usually displayed by the black in the face and neck. The darker the face the older he is.

Like any species, they take practice. IMO the hardest antelope are those in the 14-15" range. Some will go higher, some lower and will puzzle you everytime. Once they hit 16" they move into that, "you just know it category". Anything less than than 14" or so is usually easy to pick out too.

Good luck on your hunt! :)

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.
Hunt Odds.com

Get a CD by Tony Grimmit called "Size is Everything"

Do a google seach for Pronghorn Guide Service. Good Luck

Remember MPH (mass, prong and height). Heighth or length is seriously overated if the value you place on the goat is based upon the B&C/P&Y scoring method. I would look first for mass and prong length, and lastly, at length. When looking at mass, I look closely for an animal that carries heavy mass above the prong. This is essential for a high scoring goat. Next, look for prongs that stick out predominantly. Keep in mind that sometimes they can curve in such a manner as to hide their true length. Finally, look at height. Horns that sweep back or inwards are easy to misjudge. In addition to simply not counting that much towards the overall score, I've seen a number of goats where it distorted the mass and prong measurements. IMHO, goats are the most exotic looking animal in North America, and any 3 year old or better is a trophy to be proud of. In a good water year, a 3 year hold should be 13" if the genetics are good. For those unfamiliar with scoring methodology, length is the most notable feature and the easiest to guestimate. Unfortunately, length only accounts for a modest fraction of overal score (perhaps 35%-45% on a good goat). In my view, antelope are, with perhaps the exception of Mountain Goats, the hardest animal to judge. I'll see you on the unit. My boy and I drew archery tags.

The best thing you can do to ducate yourself is get the DVD, "size is everything" as was mentioned before. It is extremely thorough in explaining how to judge accuratly. Mass is your best friend with antelope. So, try to find good mass above the prong, AND prongs that that are situated high on the horn. The horn is divided in quarters of its length, and circumference measurments are taken. 1st at the base, 2nd at the 1/4 up from the base, and so on. If the prong is high on the horn, you can get that second measurment under the prong rather than over it. That will help add inches to the score.

Prarie rocket

One way to judge the mass of the horn is the width of the eyes, if the base is bigger than the eyes it is a big buck

John

LAST EDITED ON May-28-06 AT 04:16PM (MST)[p]Elkaddiction hit the nail on the head! Everything he said is right on the money! Mass is definitely very important if you want a high scoring horned animal (sheep, goat, antelope, etc). Mass isn't nearly as important in antlered animals (deer, elk, etc as it is for horned game because mass doesn't take up as large of a proportion of the overall score with those species). Horn length isn't nearly as important on horned species but it takes just about everything to make B&C. If you think about it 1" in length on either horn equates to 2 pts in the overall score. There are 8 total mass measurements and a fraction of an inch x 8 really adds or detracts considerably from a score.

Each general area in the Western US (and even within a state) generally produces different confirmation in horn measurements (that goes for sheep, goat, antelope, etc). For example, it is fairly common to find 16" antelope in NMex while there are very few 16" antelope in most areas in Wyo. Most of the reknown B&C units in Wyo produce super massive bucks and if you see one over 16" in length he is likely a B&C contender....if he has decent prongs.

I would visit a taxidermist in the area you will be hunting and get a close look at representatives from the particular area you will be hunting. You may even want to put a tape on them to get a better idea. If you don't have time to scout out your area or go to a taxidermist another option is to look at the B&C books. They often list base, length, and prong measurements for each county in a particular state.

I have never liked using ear and eye or any other body part to size up horn length or mass. A buck may have a stubby, short nose, dinky eyes, short ears, etc that will totally screw up your estimates. I have been fooled countless times by trying to judge from ear length, etc. Just because a buck has prongs high on the horn doesn't mean squat and more times than not a buck with that confirmation is fairly thin horned. A super massive buck may seem short and stubby in appearance in comparison. I've been fooled more times by looking at horn length in relation to height of prong or ears more times than I care to admit.

Another thing to consider is to get as many angled looks at the buck as you can. If you just have one view you may be sorry you shot a buck. Both side and front views of a buck is critical. If you are uphill or downhill this can also make it tricky field judging.

One of the best methods I've found for judging any animal is to compare measurements to the length of a dollar bill. $1 is exactly 6" long. Where I hunt the minimum buck to make B&C generally has to have 6" prongs, excellent mass, and 15 1/2" horn length. Average bucks where I hunt in Wyo generally have a little over 6" mass at the base and 2nds. If you can wrap a dollar bill around the base and have another 1" to go you are looking at a super buck! I love those dark, massive horns!

As mentioned above a B&C buck usually takes about everything. Where I hunt in Wyo I look for the following to make mimimum B&C: 6 1/2" base and 2nds, 4"+ 3rd mass, 2 3/4" 4ths qtrs, 6" prongs, 15" length. If you add all of those up you come up with just over a 80" buck.

I have to agree that pronghorn and mtn goat are about the toughest game in NA to judge!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom