judging antelope

BigPig

Very Active Member
Can someone give me some tips? What to look for for a respectable goat. This is my first time hunting antelope and since I'm on a private ranch (WY area 25) with an ample population I dont want to shoot the first animal I see unless it is at least respectable. Some pictures would be nice.

Novice "LOPES" hunters,usually only TAG a BIG Buck,because they didn't see,have a chance at a SMALL one 1st.But ---- a Good way to eliminate alot of second LOOKS is to make sure ALL of the bucks prongs are above HIS ears.This works for ME,going on 2 Antelope hunts in 2004--- Good Luck,on Your FIRST --- Have FUN.

Pick up one of the Eastmans videos they give good info on how to judge lopes.
There is also a new one out by the Grimmets that should really give you a good idea of what big ones look like.

With antelope think MASS. That is where they pick up the most points.

Antelope are tough to field judge. You need to look at a lot of them before you can start to get a feel for what is a nice lope.

Quality optics with high magnification are a must. You need something with at least a minimum of 20x to judge the size of the horns.

I actually watch the eastmans videos while hunting when I come back to my camper for lunch. I live in wyoming and see antelope everyday in my yard! Its tough to be a good judge, especially if you are hunting in an area where all the big ones are about 12 to 13 inches. When I see what makes a trophy in the eastmans video after seeing so many 12's, I have the mind set when I set foot out of the camper! I do this over and over and killed a really good one last year just under B & C near the end of the season passing hundreds!

You can get them from Eastmans or cheaper from me at wyomingben.com or of course eBay.

Wyomingben

Order Tony Grimmitt's video on scoring pronghorn. There is no one better than Tony and Eli, and it would be a great aid for you. There phone number is (623) 566-8708

Ditto what Kirk said. I ordered the DVD last month and its chuck full of great info like judging using eye width, ear length, height of prong. Thanks Eli.

PronghornGuideService.com

Just got back from a scout. Saw some big bucks in 17A and 17B. Maybe an 18-incher and another buck with big prongs and good length, but no mass.

I guess I better post some pictures of some big bucks from 2004...

Mongo-72dpi.jpg

This buck is from Oregon and was taken by Rick Ullery and will score around 91.

Crossover-72dpi.jpg

This buck is from Arizona and was taken by Wayne Webber and will score around 91.

Thor.jpg

This buck is from Arizona and was taken by Wayne Webber and will score around 93 or 94. Super heavy!

I would like to order some of those antelope steroids to feed to the antelope here in Wyoming!

EliAGrimmett> I sent you an email from your website about the videos

Wyomingben

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHH!! ELI U ARE KILLIN' ME!!! C'mon now, put up Ullery's Utah buck....c'mon c'mon....if you are going to make us drool, do it the whole way mon!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom