Judging antelope help

mevertsen

Very Active Member
Ok, I drew one tag this year - an antelope tag with 4 points for the unit group that I live in. 141, 143, 151-156 in NV. I will have a lot of time to scout this summer, and I have a few areas picked out which I know don't get hunted much, and there haven't been a lot killed according to the harvest stats.

Finding antelope is not the problem. I see them all the time. I have helped out on a few hunts. I can tell the difference between a young buck (2 or 3 year old 10-12 inch buck), and a good buck. But where do you separate the bucks from there? I am talking the difference between 15 inch and 16 inch and 17 inch bucks. Bucks that score 74 or 76 or 80. Not much difference there, and I have a hard time with it.

Does anyone have pics of different scoring bucks that have different horn structures? Live photos, and dead?

I waited 4 years for this tag, and it is the only one I have this year, so I have 3 months to find a keeper.

The tough part will be keeping my finger off the trigger to get those last couple inches of mass.

Thanks,

Marcial

They need to look thick in the bases when they're looking straight at you. The bases may look wide from the side but to get a good circumference measurement they need to be thick between the ears. If the tops and the prongs look like a giant 2 point, it's worth looking closer. It's always nice when a few bucks are together, so you can compare better, but older bucks usually will not tolerate company that time of year, other than does. Prongs should start flaring what looks to be at the top of the ear. As always, if you have to question if he is big enough, he isn't. When you finally see a true trophy, your knees will get weak and your brains will fall out. If you screw up the first attempt, check back in a few days. Unless they have been run out of their territory when you see them, they will almost always return to their home ground. Good luck.

I wish I had a live picture of this buck - I saw him late afternoon of my first day hunting last year and decided to pass. I did like the ivory tips but just wasn't 100% about taking him.

Fast forward to the next day and I found him again about a mile from the evening before, had a different view of him and thought he looked pretty good. In the end, he doesn't have great mass, good but not great and is right at 14 3/4" tall and for the area I hunt he is a good buck. Scores right at 76" B&C but depending on angle might look bigger at first. I still have a heck of a time judging them:)

6383070.jpg

5854075-color_alt.jpg

6113098.jpg

Antelope score is all about mass.
Length isn't nearly as important as girth of horn.
The Grimmits have a great video on scoring antelope and they have some tricks using the eye to help judge mass.
I don't recall what the video is called but Dr. Hunter lent it to us last year. Maybe you can PM him if he doesn't chime in.
It helped us find a 85" goat for my son.
Good luck

i was told by my taxidermist that my buck would score 75 flat at 15 on the right and 15 1/2 on the left, i took to my buddies taxi and he told me 81. due to the length of my prongs and the mass all around in general he packs all the way to his ivory

Sorry about butchering the spelling of your last name Eli.
Regardless, thanks for the tips on scoring. It was very helpful. You guys seem to have the antelope thing down!
We had to pick over hundreds of bucks(even in a premium Wyoming unit) to find one with the mass that is required to make the book.
My son's story was just published in the latest Trophy Hunter magazine, called Double Booked.

Thanks for all the information everyone!

And thanks for the emails I have recieved also.

I have already seen a few antelope in the last few days that are in the good range - this is going to be a fun summer trying to pick out the best one.

The video is called "Size is everything." Best video out there for field judging antelope. It helped us harvest a few monsters as well.
If I can find some time between papers, tests and assignments I will post some pictures and video. . . Man this website is distracting :)

It doesn't sound like you are in Utah or I would lend you mine-unless you want me to ship it, but then it would cost the same as buying one. Click on Eli's link and I bet you could find it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom