Jet boat drop camp

H

hunter93

I think the wife will let me go for 9 consecutive days this season and I was thinking of an article I read about setting up a drop camp by jet boat. I flew into the River of No Return several years ago and got dropped there for ten days. I loved it. I shot a muley buck and missed a shot at a 5pt. bull (still regretting that one....) The problem was that I spent three extra days eating spaghetti and vennison waiting for the plane to come get me until the weather cleared in Cascade. She wasn't happy. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or recommendations regarding a jet boat drop camp. I figure they could probably jet up the river and get me on schedule under most conditions if I am in a suitable spot. The main drawback I see is being committed to one very specific location. I think maps will help me find an area with minimal hunting pressure and if populations are low I'll just have to be patient and hunt harder. Any info. is much appreciated.

Alot has to do with water conditions. There are also quite a few jetboat owners that hunt that way in the late season,so getting a good camp/hunt spot might be tough. It would be a good way to get away from the crowds and atvs.

I think that would allow you to access some great places away from hunting pressure. On a side note I have a friend who owns a jet boat that uses it every year to hunt and this year on the Salmon he said he was stunned at the number of camps set up along the river. Some had their own boat and some had just been dropped off but he had never in his life seen so many hunters along the river and not just in a certain area but along a long stretch.

Nonetheless I know there is still plenty of places you could stake a claim and hunt from with minimal pressure if any. I think its a great way to go. I know another guy who killed his 5 point bull that way in Hells Canyon. Guess it just depends where you go.

Ive actually thought about that myself for Hells Canyon area but not serious enough to actually execute.

check out sheppranch.com i used to guide up there. shoot a message to mike or lynn and im sure they can give you a couple contacts on who to call. Alot of ranch and cabins up there. its on the salmon river up stream from rigginS. there's quite a few jet boat hunters from town and up bout 40 miles mostly hunting sheep and deer. the elk are usually up pretty high during the season. jet boats are pretty fun though but have you tried a float hunt? camp at a different place each night unless if you want to stay in a specific place longer one day? i hear there pretty cool. good luck and let us know what you decide.

I agree with the others, there are a lot more people that do this then you think. I dont even bother with it anymore, too many people. I see less people just hiking in a ways off an old logging road then hunting this way. Sounded like a great idea to me too but in reality I think everyone sees a good long rifle hunt and gets the same idea. On a side note Shepp Ranch seemed like a money hungry, un-helpful, worthless operation when I contacted them earlier this year. I spend a lot of time in the salmon river canyon and my boat was in the shop so I contacted them about providing a boat ride for the family and I about 20 minutes up river to do some camping(family tradition) and they wanted $1000, $1000 are you kidding me, to pick me up at the ramp and drop me off 20 minutes up the river w/my own gear?? Dont waste your time with them. I dont know if they feel entitled to that entire area or what but terrible cust. serv. and I will tell everyone I know about how badly I felt I was being treated. Call Heinz with Whitewater expeditions or Mackay Bar both are class acts.

Maybe Shepp was busy and didnt have time to take you up the river. I dont think its fair to be mad at Shepp. You ask them, they gave you a price, and you said no. You're right, Heinz and Mackey bar are class acts,,, But there are no kinder(SP) people on the river then Mike and Lynn. Ive also boated up there a lot and more then once ive been stranded with boat troubles. everytime ive ask for help they have without question. I am sorry you had a bad experience with them but they really are the most amazing people you could ever know. Just my thoughts

In regards to the number of people, it's just like hunting any other type of area. Even if there were 100 boats per river mile, only a tiny percent are going to hike hard and get very far above the river... it's all uphill from the river and that is generally some pretty steep a$$ country.

I think this is a good way to hunt the country. We own property in 19A and hunt in 20A. If you've been on a jetboat trip up from Riggins, you know how rugged of country it is. This year in 20A the elk were really low. 4000-5000 ft. The elk are usually half way between the river and the 7-8000 ft peaks. If your after elk I would head for 20A and hunt the first season. Should have a good shot at a 300 class bull. I wouldnt worry about the crowds,,,, trust me most guys can't put in the miles day after day in this country. The key to success in the Salmon river mountains is to be in superb shape. If your going to hunt the wilderness area, you'll hunt hard to find a great buck. Another option is to hunt mid november. You can get an unlimted late deer tag and hunt elk at the same time. The big bulls are almost imposible to find this time of year. They stay up high in the thick timber. We always seem to be able to find a small raghorn or spike. The cows start piling up on the lower slopes. Hit me up for more info. My family has spent their lives living in these mountians,, would be happy to help with more specfic areas to hunt.

If you dont have time, tell me you dont have time. Dont just jack your rate up to some un-godly amount and expect that to go over well. I am not disagreeing with that they may be nice, even great people, but both times I have spoke with them the impression I get from them is that if you dont book a hunt/fish with us we dont want you up here, just my impression. Now back to your hunting question, I have hunted up in that country alot. 20a is a great hunting area, but you must be in the best shape of your life if you want to be successful (especially hunting it from the bottom). If you hunt hard you will find animals but its been my experience that its gets more pressure than one would think, and its not this fantasy some make it out to be. I hear all the time from people that since I have a boat and can hunt it that I should be able to go in there slam a big buck/bull from the boat and be back on the beach in a couple hours. That couldnt be farther from the truth the most grueling hunts I have ever been on have been in that country some successful some not. Good Luck!

Thanks a lot for all the replies! I will probably hunt mule deer only here this year. I've got the chance to hunt Roosevelt elk on some of my wife's family's property over in Oregon this year. I can make it a family/hunt trip that she will be happy about and I'll have a shot at a good bull. I'm looking to take my time and hunt hard for a big buck here. I'll contact the outfits you guys recommended to me and go from there. My friends hunt in 39 and I can always go there. All the pressure is just a drag. Thanks again for all the info. I really appreciate it. I'll post what I find out and what i decide.

Thanks for the specifics Matt! I was considering getting one of the unlimited tags like I did for River of No Return, but it's gonna conflict with my other trip. I know how tough the country is. I am in good shape, but getting older, so I want to keep hunting hard while I can. If you have any ideas on general areas that you wouldn't mind sharing I'd really appreciate it. If I can get the wife comfortable with an annual 9-day hunt I would like to start learning a remote area with good trophy potential well. Thanks again!

So which unit are you going to try and hunt? Are you going to try and hunt form jet boat or drive in? The general seasons are tough. Most of the deer are up high. IMO this is one of the toughest areas to find a trophy mule deer. If your going to have 9 days then should be enough time. The bucks hole up in the thick lodgepole forests on the high peaks,, this makes for tough glassing. The middle fork of the salmon holds some good bucks,, but you need to hunt in November to give yourself a better chance and access is a major problem.

Hi Matt! I haven't logged in in a while. I need to spend more time with the maps and figure out my game plan. If I am gonna hunt high I may not want to start my hike from the bottom of the canyon where a jet boat would leave me. One of my friends was advising me to hunt near Stanley. He remembers numerous times where he barely beat the snow out of the area, but he got into some nice bucks. The general season was later back then. I'm gonna look at what access is like in 20A, 26 and 27. It looks minimal and like I'd be better off with one of the unlimited Nov. tags. I need to get the forest service maps for that country. Thanks for your input!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom