Javelina field dressing

mossback50cal

Very Active Member
Just have some questions on if there is any specific techniques or anything like that. I have heard that they have glands that you need to remove to save the meat. Is this true or is it pretty much like a deer or elk?

Yes, they do have a gland that's a few inches above the base of their tail on their back. Just skin them like you would anything else and the gland comes off with the skin. You should not have any problems. Javelina are pretty easy to skin. Good luck.

Ok, after reading that , I realized I stuck my foot in my mouth. No damn it I never ate skunk ass , but if I had I imagine it would taste like javalina...lol.. dang it...

So im taking it they are not very good to eat. I have never harvested one. Would it be worth all the trouble to take care of the meat and process it?

It's the smell thats hard to forget when your trying to eat it. The taste is not the best, but its not that bad. The meat is a little tuff though. The last one I got I had It ground up and turned into breakfast sausage. I think this is the best way to go if you don't want it to go to waste. Happy Hunting!

If your looking for the best Javelina meat, try to shoot an immature animal or a sow. In my experience, the meat is great. I've made breakfast sausage and just cut steaks out of it and fry it. To me, it's really good. I've shot a couple of mature bores and they definately have more flavor. Breakfast sausage was the only way I could eat them. I think it's also important to get a clean shot that kills them quickly, because if they start scenting after being shot, I think that might taint the meat and will make them smell more when you dress them. Like posted earlier, just dress and skin them like any other animal. The scent gland comes right off with the skin.

Good luck
Travis

skin it,the glands will come off with the skin, cut off the shoulders,hind quarters and tiny back straps,neck also,do not even gut the animal out.makes great snack sticks,or summer sausage with jalapenos and cheese, or is good in a crock pot,cooked all day and made in to burritos,red chili,green chili,what ever your likes are,really not bad.Remember do not kill it if you are not going to use it.

Ok Im not a expert but, I do have a lot of experiance with Javalina and like the othe gentelman befor me I agree if you get a juvenile or a sow your in for some good eats older males not so much and as for the the gland dont worry it does not taint the meat its just a warning for the animal when in danger they spray and release there scent to flee or defend. and as for dressing the animal its to easy one thing thoug in texas they carry a awful amount of fleas maybe here in NM they do too,could not tell never got a tag for them here in NM .

thanks everyone. Im not too worried about the fleas because it has froze several times. Thats why I was asking, I didn't want to kill something that I wasn't going to eat. Again, thanks everyone! Getting close now!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom