It ain't always bad

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
We always b!tch about dealing with various gov. agencies, big companies, etc. In contrast, an experience yesterday was quite the opposite.

Two weeks ago, I got an email and also a mailed notice that someone from Salt River Project (SRP) would be coming by to change out our electric meter -- a job that takes about 5 mins. tops.

SRP provided a # to call in case anyone wanted to make a set time to get it done because of any possible issues. Since I use an electric O2 generator 24/7, this meant it would be off during the change. That wouldn't be a big deal for me since I also have portable tanks. But it takes me a few mins. to get changed over, so I thought of calling for a set appointment just so I would be ready to go.

I also had a couple breakers that needed replacing, but because our ancient panel doesn't have a main shut-off switch some would have to be ready to do it when the meter got pulled. One -- a 220V breaker -- served my wife's clothes dryer; it's been kaput a long time, forcing her to take her wet wash to a laundromat to dry.

Alas, procrastination won out, however. I never called SRP.

So when the doorbell rang at 9:30 yesterday morning, I had a good idea who it was. As I walked past a window to the front door, I could see the SRP truck out front. The guy was a big hulk of a man & sported a full beard. I explained about switching tanks. He quickly said, "No problem. Just let me know when you're ready."

At that point, I also mentioned the breakers. He asked if I already had them, which I did, having bought them on Ebay more than a year ago. He said he would take a look & change them. I had him come around to the back door & gave him the new breakers. About 15 mins. later, he was all done, including swapping the meter out.

When he came to the back door to let me know he was done & to give me the old breakers, I tried to give him $20. He wouldn't take it. His exact words: "No, keep it. I was glad to do it for you."

My wife's dryer is now working again, & she's happier than a pig in chit. That alone would have been worth the $20.
1f60e.png

Last edited:
Nice to know there are good folks in the world.

It sounds like you are getting up there in age...and have some health problems that are keeping you from getting some of those chores done. Sorry to hear.

I can tell you this...my life would be hell if my wife had to drag the wash to a laundromat because I didn't take 5 minutes to pop in a new breaker....

Happy wife...happy life.

Nice to know there are good folks in the world.

It sounds like you are getting up there in age...and have some health problems that are keeping you from getting some of those chores done. Sorry to hear.

I can tell you this...my life would be hell if my wife had to drag the wash to a laundromat because I didn't take 5 minutes to pop in a new breaker....

Happy wife...happy life.
Yup. 80+ and unable to do much of anything that takes lots of energy. While all the woodworking machines in my workshop sit idle as I left them 2 years ago, my expenditure of energy now is mostly in the kitchen.

My lady of 60+ years is my savior, though. She helps me keep plugging away.

Glad you lucked into a helping hand! Don't be against asking for favors from friends or associates even if you are 110% independent and probably 200% stubborn, LOL. And you've said you are no longer hunting, so if that means you end up low on venison supply, maybe somebody could share some of their bounty. Hate to think you might have to settle for beef just cause you can't get out this season.

Speaking of venison... as a coues expert, are they any better or worse on the dinner plate than eastern whitetails? I picture them being tough SOB's given the habitat and forage they endure.

Glad you lucked into a helping hand! Don't be against asking for favors from friends or associates even if you are 110% independent and probably 200% stubborn, LOL. And you've said you are no longer hunting, so if that means you end up low on venison supply, maybe somebody could share some of their bounty. Hate to think you might have to settle for beef just cause you can't get out this season.

Speaking of venison... as a coues expert, are they any better or worse on the dinner plate than eastern whitetails? I picture them being tough SOB's given the habitat and forage they endure.
You're right, of course, but sometimes I feel a bit goofy asking someone to come over & change a light bulb for us. :ROFLMAO: Given the usual lightbulb jokes that was meant to be humorous, but that's been a reality around here lately. We have about 12 can lights in our kitchen. Right now, 3 are burned out, waiting for new bulbs. Same with 2 bulbs in the florescent fixtures in my office. I actually bought one of those pole thingies for the can lights. Just need to get up the energy to use it. ?

As far as the venison, I'm not a connoisseur of game meat, but IMO the Coues is way better than mule deer. Even at that, I much prefer good ol' American beef, pork & lamb. ;)

Good story Outdoor Writer.
I have another one similar with SRP. I was working on a SES switch out that involved shutting down three buildings over a 4 hour outage on a Saturday. Of course this was about a monthlong process with SRP, City of Phoenix, Special inspections with the Electrical Engineer, planning with tenants and contractors, shop drawings etc. The service passed all of the inspections with the three major people like COP, SRP, Engineer, and I went over it myself as much as I could because since it was so important, we had to have it running in the few hours we had. All went well until the wire pull. It was then discovered we only had I think 7 lugs where we needed 9. It made it through all of us without noticing. On a Saturday, this is a big deal because a special item like this is about impossible to get. The SRP foreman, on his own, remembered another job he has on the other side of town that has lugs that could be used to piggyback what we needed. He went to pick them up and we finished like it never happened. He was the hero because on a Saturday, we were dead if we had to deal with such rare items ourselves and we were too far into it to stop or put the other back together. A lot of foreman with the utility providers don’t step up like he did and the attitude is “call us back when you get it fixed” and they get in their truck and leave.

That's the kinda stuff that always makes one wonder why more people aren't that helpful when possible. Over my lifetime, I've had several nice encounters, but the bad ones probably outnumber them.

One of the more recent bad ones was the HVAC company I used for my AC repairs. They wound up with my account when they purchased the company that originally installed my heat pump.

The 5-ton unit I have had a 10 yr. NO COST warranty for parts & labor. However, the company that made the unit clearly states in the warranty contract that the freon is not included because they don't make it. So I knew that up front.

A few years ago, the compressor went belly-up. They replaced it at no charge EXCEPT for the 7 lbs. of freon at a cost of almost $600. Knowing they were marking it up at least 400% over the wholesale cost at the time, I protested. All I asked was that they charge a reasonable, not grossly inflated price. It did no good.

Two years later & a month before the warranty ran out, they had to replace the evap coil because of a leak. Same deal, except this time the freon cost was $800, again more than 400% over cost. And again, my protest did nothing. That was more than a year ago.

In fairness, the service techs were great. Not true of the 'manager(s)' at the office

Now fast forward to a couple months ago. My phone rings, & since the caller ID showed the company's name, I answered it. It was one of their reps trying to sell me a tune-up for $39.95. I told him I would never use their services again & explained why. As a result of that phone call, I posted a review on YELP. Two days later, the same rep called me back & offered the tune-up service free. I'm guessing he spoke to his higher-ups. I again declined.

Even with the repairs, my unit is old, & they know it will need replacing not too far in the future. That's probably why he tried to make the past go away. ;)

When I was managing retail sporting goods departments in my early life, I often told the people working for me that customers ALWAYS remember the bad experiences & tell people about them. That's rarely the case with all the good ones. Like when was the last time someone said to you, "Hey, I bought a gun at Cabella's last week & really enjoyed it?"

We have about 12 can lights in our kitchen. Right now, 3 are burned out, waiting for new bulbs. Same with 2 bulbs in the florescent fixtures in my office. I actually bought one of those pole thingies for the can lights. Just need to get up the energy to use it. ?
Dang, that makes me want to jump in my truck and head for Phoenix, or wherever. Might as well mow your lawn while I'm there.

Dang, that makes me want to jump in my truck and head for Phoenix, or wherever. Might as well mow your lawn while I'm there.
No, no!! I decided to horde the gas. I might be able to make a killing on it in a few months. Instead, I'm gonna pay a lawn service dude & still make a profit. :ROFLMAO:

But you're welcome to come on down anyway. I'll cook you up some pasta!

OMG,

I have a ton of horror stories dealing with PGE [the west coast power company] on projects.....they are terrible.

I have plenty of experiences with our two major power providers in AZ. Most are good. I did a lot of projects and it was a big milestone to get the meter installed because that way we could finish up and final and we were always real close to that by that time. We would do just about the whole project off of generators or temp power from nearby so it was very welcoming and exciting to get the meter plugged in. Most times, I would hang out with the meter guy or girl when they were there so as if there was a problem or something missing, we could jump on it and usually resolve it without them leaving. I definitely did not want them to leave because it was always up to 8 days to get them back and it was usually later rather than sooner.

In the early 90's we had an earthquake at about midnight. We got up and smelled gas. I went outside to turn it off at the meter and the smell was really bad out there. I called PG&E and they were here in less than a half hour. It was leaking on the incoming line at the meter. They made us leave the house until they fixed it. They put a new meter in on the spot. Then they checked all the appliances in the house before they gave it the all clear. Kind of a long night for all of us.

We had a lot of coordination with APS also when we tore up roads down there. They had a guy named Al Fields who handled it all very well. Super guy.

The phone company was another animal altogether. I thought they were going to line us up and execute us when we punched through the fiber optic line that handled the hospital’s, 911, and Luke.:oops:

We had a lot of coordination with APS also when we tore up roads down there. They had a guy named Al Fields who handled it all very well. Super guy.

The phone company was another animal altogether. I thought they were going to line us up and execute us when we punched through the fiber optic line that handled the hospital’s, 911, and Luke.:oops:
My wife worked for Ma Bell in downtown Phx. She started at $64 a week in 1965 & worked until we moved to Colo. in 1976. She went back there again in 1979.

A couple years later, they offered everyone an early retirement deal that provided a pension by seniority & also paid for job training. She took it & went to a school for floral arrangers.

She first had a job in a small florist, then she hired on to the Houston-based Service Corp. International, which operates more than 1500 funeral homes and 400 cemeteries in 43 states, eight Canadian provinces and Puerto Rico. It's the largest company of its type in the U.S. The properties it owns have names that do not reflect its ownership. Most of the mortuaries retained the original names before SCI bought them.

Here in Phx, they have about 10 mortuaries & three cemeteries. Up until they hired Ellen, the funeral arrangers ordered flowers, etc. from an outside vendor. She became the manager of an in-house florist & had two other arrangers & a full-time delivery driver working for her. She was paid well with good benefits & even had a company minivan to drive with all the fuel paid for by SCI. After about 20 yrs. they decided the floral business wasn't for them, so they closed all the shops they had added.

El moved into the main offices, which were located at one of cemeteries. Her job was overseeing the grave marker/headstone services, from ordering to placement. She worked there until she retired with a nice severance deal. In all she worked at SCI more than 25 years.

One of her other perks was free funeral services for immediate family members. Only cost were the caskets at greatly discounted prices since the company also owns the casket makers. Cremations are basically free.

We used that perk for an uncle and my mom & dad, who are all buried at the National Memorial Cemetery in Phx. & for my grandfather & Ellen's mom & dad. If any of you have ever planned a funeral, you would know that amounted to a lot of money saved. We still get free funeral services for immediate family.

Last edited:
30 years working in public utilities and every single one of my co-workers would have helped in a similar fashion if they carried the basis of knowledge to do the task. Then I moved to a new employer in Colorado and that mentality changed. Workers would go out of their way not to have to turn a wrench. I no longer work for that employer and am proud to say my co-works are all about helping your neighbor and it shows with community support for our district. Glad to hear OW that this mentality carries on elsewhere.

I would suggest a positive note to the company would be helpful. No need be specific either just an honest to goodness 'thank you for a job well done'.

In the early 90's we had an earthquake at about midnight. We got up and smelled gas. I went outside to turn it off at the meter and the smell was really bad out there. I called PG&E and they were here in less than a half hour. It was leaking on the incoming line at the meter. They made us leave the house until they fixed it. They put a new meter in on the spot. Then they checked all the appliances in the house before they gave it the all clear. Kind of a long night for all of us.
Had a similar experience a couple years ago with the city water company here on New Year's day.

I was watching a football game & heard a very loud boom that sounded like a gunshot just outside. I looked out the living room window & saw a spout of water shooting up about 40' right where our water meter sits in the ground.

At the time, I didn't have one of those fancy wrenches to turn the water off at the meter, which the city frowns on. I got one later, tho. ?

I quickly went inside & called the city. They had somewhere there to turn it off in less than 15 mins.

I got a shovel & dug down to where the connection had burst. Through the yucky mud, it appeared to be a bit too complicated for my paygrade as a plumber.

So now what's to do on New Year's day when every plumber in town is probably watching football like I was?

I went online & located a nearby plumbing outfit & called. A 1/2-hr. later, two young guys in a van pulled up & quickly went to work. They were done in about 30 mins. Not only did they repair the connection, but they also filled in the hole after they were done.

I asked how much so I could go inside & write a check. I nearly fell over when the one guy, who I found out was the owner's son, says, "A hundred dollars should do it." They obviously felt sorry for me. ?

I wrote a check for that amount & gave each of them $20 in cash.

Last edited:
I would suggest a positive note to the company would be helpful. No need be specific either just an honest to goodness 'thank you for a job well done'.
Oh, trust me; I thought of that. BUT...I'm not sure changing breakers was part of this guy's duties. So to avoid possibly getting him in trouble, I decided to just let my 'thank you' to him suffice.

Oh, trust me; I thought of that. BUT...I'm not sure changing breakers was part of this guy's duties. So to avoid possibly getting him in trouble, I decided to just let my 'thank you' to him suffice.

I fully understand however they don't need to know all the details. Regardless it's good to see deeds like this completed.

Day before yesterday the wind was howling here. Pulled into my driveway and noticed a large bushy branch had blown off the neighbors elm tree and was suspended over a powerline. I called our power company and they hustled right over with a boom truck and removed it. The woman who took the call and the guy that came out were as polite as can be.

I’m certainly one to gripe about people and government failures but on an individual person bases, 8 out of 10 times people are extremely helpful and cordial. We seem to dwell on the negative (I do) but, so far, at least, where I live, most folks are outstanding.

Glad To Hear The Guy Got You Fixed Up ODW!

It Used To Be That way around Here!

But Not Anymore!

If it's on the Owners/Customers Side chances are They Will Not Touch it due to the Liability!

Kinda Sad!

But Really True!

So I'd Buy That Guy Lunch if you ever Run in to Him somewhere!

But I Don't Think I'd Post a Thanks to Him in the Local Newspaper it Might Cost Him His Job! (SAD!)

(And Maybe They're Allowed to do that in Your Area?)

Glad To Hear & Know There Are Still Guys Out There Willing To Help Others!

Glad To Hear The Guy Got You Fixed Up ODW!

It Used To Be That way around Here!

But Not Anymore!

If it's on the Owners/Customers Side chances are They Will Not Touch it due to the Liability!

Kinda Sad!

But Really True!

So I'd Buy That Guy Lunch if you ever Run in to Him somewhere!

But I Don't Think I'd Post a Thanks to Him in the Local Newspaper it Might Cost Him His Job! (SAD!)

(And Maybe They're Allowed to do that in Your Area?)

Glad To Hear & Know There Are Still Guys Out There Willing To Help Others!
If you're talking about the water incident, the guy from the city merely turned off the water meter valve. He had nothing to with the actual pipe repair because as you said, it was my side of the meter.

We seem to dwell on the negative (I do) but, so far, at least, where I live, most folks are outstanding.
Yup. Maybe you missed this in my earlier reply:

When I was managing retail sporting goods departments in my early life, I often told the people working for me that customers ALWAYS remember the bad experiences & tell people about them. That's rarely the case with all the good ones. Like when was the last time someone said to you, "Hey, I bought a gun at Cabella's last week & really enjoyed it?"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom