Is this a big utah speed goat

A

amby

4a371dce3da1b0e7.jpg

4a371df63e9b7e30.jpg

I'm not a veteran antelope hunter and while scouting this summer I've found it hard to judge the animals. I was always told to go with your gut instinct. This is the biggest goat we've seen in our 2 scouting trips. I was wondering what the masses thought. I figured him at about 15" am I in the ball park.

Amby

Antelope are tough to judge...Just find a goat that you like and put him down. There are not many book goats around but there are some very good looking goats in UT.

What unit did you draw? I would guess this is a 13 to 13.5 inch goat. His prong is below his ear and about 6 inches of length above prong. He maybe around 70 inches. Most units in Utah you can do better. Mass and prong length is more important than length in a good scoring speed goat. Not many book antelope come from Utah. A few good ones though. It should be a good year for horn growth. Good luck. Just my opinon.

Thanks for the response my dad has the sw desert tag. Dang! Well have to do a few more scouting trips.

Look for a buck with horns that are twice the length of the ears, and has a prong above the ears; then shoot that one.

Grizzly

amby,

Whike that is a goat with a nice looking set of horns, look for one like that on steroids. I would keep looking if it were me.

If that last one is a Utah goat, private or public, WOW.

The first one is nice, but I agree with the judging. Regardless of score, or width or prong or whatever, if the goat makes your Dad's heart pound or either one of you say 'wow', Shoot it!!

If it was Wyoming, I'd say wait a few more days....LOL

Amby, what south west tag do you have? My dad had on on the Riverbed a few years ago. we scouted often and had a ton of fun. My dad ended up killin a really nice fifteen and one half inch buck before noon the first day. I was our third choice buck
Lambo

There are huge goats in utah, i scouted all summer 2 years ago for my wifes archery tag, opening morning 43 yrd shot right over his back. easy state record figured 18-19 tall and would score low 80's, neither one of us will ever forget that morning.

Sorry guys, that buck above has some very good length and some mass, but his cutters are very short. He wont hit 80. JMHO.

If the EXIF data is correct the photo was taken May 16th which means that the buck had about two more months to grow longer before the season.

My scores:

L 15 6/8
P 4 6/8

B 6 4/8
F 6 6/8
S 4 5/8
T 3 3/8

83 4/8

If the buck grew another 1 4/8 I think he'd finish around 86 4/8.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-09 AT 06:24PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-09 AT 06:23?PM (MST)

Eli,

That really surprises me. After I had posted I thought his mass was better than I had thought. I would listen to Eli before myself.;-)

Haha - I'm not always right - far from it. If the area usually produces small bucks with tiny heads and ears and bodies than you may be right with your score. No telling really, since most likely no one killed the buck.

I always enjoy your opinion Eli. I felt he had book mass and length, but the prong kept him out of the 80+ mark. After a second look at mass and length I felt he could maybe rub 80" but just barely? It is always fun to guess. I was in no way putting the buck down because he is very nice!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom