Is this a 2x3 or 3x3 buck?

I

ID_Paul

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-09 AT 05:16PM (MST)[p]I shot these photos in one of the Owyhee units. Based on the legal description of 2-point as: "Deer with no more than 2 points on 1 side, not including the brow point or tine, and at least 1 antler longer than 3 inches. A point is an antler projection that is at least 1 inch long and longer than the width of the projection."
... Do you think this is a 2x3 or a 3x3 buck?

questionBuck2.jpg

questionBuck1.jpg

questionBuck3.jpg

Doesn't matter. He will have about 10 holes in him tomorrow. 2 point only, what idiot came up with that one?

Don't shoot! That one looks like a ticket.

There are plenty of 2 points to be found. Better safe than sorry.

I am thinkin it's a 3x3.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-09 AT 07:10PM (MST)[p]He sure looks like a legal 2x3 in the first photo, but I concur with those that said 3x3.

Unfortunately I couldn't see that when I saw the buck - only when I got home and enlarged the photos. The photos above were taken with an 8x lens. I had a couple minutes to look at him and never saw that 3rd spur. That would be an 'oh ----' moment to shoot that buck, walk up on him and see that 1 & 1/1000-inch little 3rd point.

I think the 2-point restrictions were put in place to reduce hunting pressure during the general season. Some people only want the mature bucks, others are worried about making a mistake on a buck like this one.

With a little work from a File that buck would become a 2x3 (just kidding). That is a stupid restriction. I bet every year there are alot of dead deer left in that area.

That's a 3 point. Sorry. I grew up in WA, where it is a 3 point minimum. Just come here and see how great it works. Any forked horn with an eyegaurd has a death sentence on it. We have some huge 2 points that live and pass on their genes. I think it is great that a 2 year old buck like that will live and hopefully be around in a few years when I draw that tag. I wish some WA units would go to 2 point only with draws. We need those bucks with forks and eye gaurds for us trophy hunters, and it is nice to give them a chance at life before they get slaughtered like cattle. Besides, he will have a lot more meat on him in a few more years.

In Idaho though, a 2 point is- Deer with no more than 2 points on 1 side, not including the brow point or tine. So I'm thinking if it has 2 points on one side and 8 on the other it's considered a 2 point in 2 point only units. The buck in the above pic has about a 1/2 inch point coming off the two point side, which if it was another 1/2 inch long it would have been considered a 3 point. I guess a great pair of binocs is in order in these units or pass them up until you are sure- like the author of this post did.

Where did you get that info?? The regs only state that "One side cannot have more than two points, not including brow tines" It doesn't say it can't have more than 3 points on the other side. In fact there was a picture at Sportsmans of a girl that shot a big 2x4 in the Owyhees during the two point season. I read the regs as if a buck with 2 pts on one side and 12 on the other is still legal. However I've questioned if a buck had a broken horn (3-inches) on one side and more than two points on the other would be legal.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-07-10 AT 03:33PM (MST)[p]The regs are, as usual, confusing at best! On page 8 of the 2009 regs, It discribes as you say, but the diagrams on the same page make me believe that 2 x 3 is max! The title above the diagrams state "Legal deer in two point hunts".
Time to make about three calls to different F&G people and see how they interpet it!
Furthermore, going into unit 22 thru Hornet Creek, F&G sets up a sign that says 2 point only mule deer zone! Does that mean any point whitetail?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom