Is it a waste of time?

Abiggerfish2fry

Very Active Member
So I have been getting points in most western states for Elk and Deer and have Drawn a few tags like a Super Tag Last year in Idaho for Elk, but have not put in for anything in calif. yet! Is it a waste of time or is there a any chance in HELL I could draw something before I am 80 years old! I am turning 50 this year, BUMMER!

DEPENDS?????

Are you an NR? If so, Kali has terrible prices versus quality for non-residents.

If you are from kali, and are looking for a close to home, 24-26" buck hunt every 3-5 years, Kali ain't too bad.

For elk and antelope, you'll never draw a max PP tag so your odds are long, long, long on ever getting a tag. That said, kali has as good of elk and antelope as anywhere. Just not too many, no too many tags.

With journey showing up, I just hope the whole family doesn't follow. We don't have room for dogs, we already have too many cats.

Unless you are made of money, Calif. offers a couple animals that can only be gotten thru long odds, Tule Elk and Desert Bighorn. Some of these great draws are completely random. My pard puts in lots of places and seems to draw a outrageous tag every year. His philosophy, be positive, somebody has to win...he seems to "Win", more than his share.

Good luck with it if that's what you decide to do!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I am a nr now, I moved to Utah in 05 and been Elk up here every year but I was hoping to hunt Deer in Calif. with my famly that still lives there or atleast get points as long as i am not just throughing my money into the wind! Thanks for the Information!

I have hunted in California for 20 years as a resident and have killed one muley over 25" and one booner blacktail. Other than that I've taken lots of animals just nothing as far as trophy quality is concerned. I feel I am a decent hunter that goes through a lot of boot leather and lots of research. If it were me I would tell your family to come to you. Good luck with whatever you choose

That country is in the "c" zone, a very easy area to Draw, could draw it every year if you choose to do so. I hunt the "C" zone and center my hunts around Burney every year when i don't draw a better X zone tag. Though it is not what i would call a high quality zone, i do pass up legal bucks every year in search of mature bucks. I've not for years, marked the quality of a hunting trip on if or not i killed a deer. Some here do!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

California has never been known for "trophy mulies". That being said, I haven't had any trouble locating a few good ones each year I draw a tag. By "good ones" I mean 160+ bucks. I've actually have had better luck finding good bucks in Cali than Idaho!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-12 AT 01:12PM (MST)[p]I really dont care if I kill toad of a Deer, It's just so I can hunt with my family and friends down there! They have been coming up here every year for the past 6 years hunting Elk with me, and figure it is time for me to start spending money on gas coming down to hunt! Here is a picture of the bunch I hunt with !

50902010_elk_hunting_trip_059.jpg

Sounds like a great attitude! Good looking bunch but got to say, you can forget getting any of my honey holes out of me!! :)

Come on out and have some fun! Good luck on your hunt!!

Joey

If you put in for the c or b zone with them u might as well put in for elk and sheep just put in for a hunt that has only one tag you will have just as good of luck as everybody else trying for that one tag.

Yeah they are a real groofy bunch of guys after the third day hunting and drinking all night! I will trade you honey holes! you tell me where I can shoot fork horn and I will tell you where the Elk Hide!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom