Is Hunting a Sport?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I hear of guys saying, "What has happened to this sport?" I don't consider it a sport. It's a way of life to many of us. I guess it could be considered a hobby at best. I think it puts a bad wrap on hunting as those that don't hunt could think that "hunting and killing" game animals is a sport. In "sports" one does not kill anything. Do you think calling hunting a sport sends a bad message? Just curious what you all think.

Steve

Well as defined by "Websters"

"An active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition".

I guess you could call it a sport if you wanted to. All comes down to a personal choice I think.

Jeff

You have to be an all around athlete, to hunt the rough terrain found in most areas. True plenty of flat land that most people can access, but I have taken my college football buds and others who gasp like a fish out of water and need plenty of breaks. So much for easy pickin's LOL

I'm not talking about the physicality of hunting. Everyone knows that you've got to be in decent shape to do it. I'm talking about how others view it as a sport. Is it hurting us to call it a sport? To me, it's like when you hear some jackass talking about hunting to someone who doesn't do it and they come across as guy that just likes to kill things. We all know it isn't just killing animals. I'm just saying it may hurt us as a community to those that don't know what hunting is about.

Steve

LAST EDITED ON Mar-19-08 AT 03:30PM (MST)[p]How many of those that don't can sit in a tree stand all day in minus 20 degree weather??, that takes fortitude and will power, To calculate and plan a successful trip every year, and to pattern and discern habits of quarry and other hunters demonstrates an ability to formulate a game plan and goal setting that you see in business and ventures that we all participate in. Even with technology it takes action to put things in place, And to continue to strive to do your best when generally you meet failure after failure when stalking game that is not seen too much in a general population of modern man. Imo why I do what I do is nobody's business and I am not apologetic to someone who has watched too much disney, and thinks that nature only occurs in parks. I answer their questions and let them lead the conversation but the fact that I enjoy what I do from looking at maps to talking to bioligists and to other hunters and scouting on the ground just reminds me of one big chess strategy. It is as much as a mental game for me as physical. So Imo it meets all the requirements of what I consider sport, but this is from a guy who doesn't count tennis, golf or nascar. :)

Tworivers- I fully agree with everything that you've said. Maybe take a reverse angle on it. If you were an anti, would you be upset or disgusted that hunters call "killing" a sport? Look at it from THEIR point of view. I know..I know...who cares what they think. We need to because they've got a lot of money trying to take it away. I appreciate the insight.

Steve

I don't think it's a sport, or should be called one. It does sound like we are killing for the fun of it. I like what was said about hunting being part of our lives. I've played plenty of football, softball, basketball, etc...these are sports that I could drop at anytime with little to no regret, but there is no way I could wald away from hunting without it really affecting my life.

I agree, in this day and age we do need to be carefull of the perception of hunting. Educating the masses would help. But one thing that bothers me is, it seems that alot of the hunting shows are so geared on getting the kill and showing off the trophy. I can't hardly stand to watch hunting shows, it's getting to the point where I can't even read some of the articles in the 2 hunting mags that I get. It does seem like some of these things are more about showing off the trophy rather than enjoying the hunting experience. Talking about the experiences, rather than focusing on only killing. I dunno that's the way I feel.

I'm not sure that we can officially define the word "sport" at all, as regards hunting. I believe that it is more of a perception, either by an individual or by our society.

Liberals refer to hunting a a "blood sport".

Is hunting more physically demanding than other defined sports? Sometimes.

Does it require more talent than other defined sports? Sometimes.

I doubt that I worry to much about whether others define hunting as a sport. I don't.

I know that I personnaly don't think it is ever as hard as tennis, or Nascar, or any other sport that requires your complete and total attention and physical peak, for a specified period of time.

Nor do I believe it takes as much long term training and mental capability as golf.

If you want to change the perception that some non hunters have, stop using the term "weapon" when refering to hunting arms. That is some serious idiocy right there.

Interesting, how about trap shooting or target competition, surely a sport. Then we go for doves or ground squirrel, a sport? Maybe, certainly not solely for the meat. How about a trip to the far north for Dall sheep. No doubt one could hunt much closer, far cheaper, and obtain just as much meat. I think a lot of us do hunt not only for the meat that we can put on the table, but also, for the sport... or whatever you care to call it but i have always refered to it, among other more romantic embelishments, as sport.

I'm not saying that anyone is wrong or right here but i like the way Ted Nugent looks at the issue of what some people might precieve. He believes in his right to persue his passions and not make concessions or apoligise to anyone for who he is or what he does as a hunter. Certainly, not everyone cares to stand up to anti public perceptions the way that he does. To bad really, he does a pretty fair job of it.

All that said, a very interesting question.

joey

Western hunting takes a degree of physicality, as do most sports, so I would define hunting as a sport or even a past time, maybe a hobby. Its killing, we do it for entertainment and enjoyment. Its not a necessity to survive.

Man I would have a hard time saying I kill things for "entertainment and enjoyment." I hunt because I like the challenge! For me it's the last link to a past kind of life that I think I would have liked. I wish I had lived a rugged, outdoor life, but I grew up in the city and my dad didn't hunt. It's my escape from the modern, safe, boring life. And

I love playing sports too, but they do not give me any escape to the rugged, outdoor life I wish I had.

"Its killing, we do it for entertainment and enjoyment."

Feleno- If you weren't "killing", would it still be entertainment and enjoyment for you?

This is what I was worried that would come out in this post. Are there hunters that actually believe that "killing" is a sport?

I'm not sure whether we help ourselves by portraying ourselves as "killers".

Sageadvice- You said that, just as Ted does, that we need not answer to anyone. We should be ourselves and say to hell with how others perceive us. I agree with that to an extent. However, I guarantee if the government starts to run the table and starts passing every bill placed in front of them to limit what guns we can legally own, what ammo we can buy, and how much, if they take our hunting rights away....we will care about how we are perceived. It is just a fine line with "hunting".

Steve

Steve, Actually, i didn't say that, i said that i like what Nugent say's... I'm not quite as comfortable with my ability to defend myself verbally to those that choose to belittle us as hunters. That and the fact that if it becomes a heated conversation or situation, i may choose to "win" the argument in a totally unacceptable social behaviour manor which i have, hopfully, retired from years ago. So i speak briefly on the subject and move on in at least my own best interests.

Most all of the time Steve, i try to put us hunters in a favorable light. I speak of my Grandparents, being brought up in the sport, of the heritage, the desire, the challenge, and yes the food value. Most who ask me about my hunting mearly want more information to better form their own opinion. They may have heard or read some things against hunting, but now they have a chance to hear the other side. The last thing i'm going to do in a situation like that is quote Nuggent.

I always try to set an example and am not above receiving good advice or giving some where it may be needed. We need to tred easy, keep on a favorable light to those out there, still in decision if hunting is good or not. I do like how Ted goes about himself, his statements are if not a tad rough, classic in their own way. I just don't think, as you suggest, that me personally and hunters as a group, can afford to ignore public perseptions.

Great topic Steve,
joey

LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-08 AT 08:10AM (MST)[p]Hunting isn't a sport it's an instinct all men are born with. It became a sport when Boone and Crockett started keeping score.

I am proud to call myself a SPORTSMAN/hunter. I don't just 'hunt' to kill, I enjoy every moment, every step, every breath of fresh clean quiet air that I get to experience because of the SPORT of hunting. To me, being a sportsman means having stewardship over the animals I hunt, not just a desire to kill them. So again, I am proud to be a SPORTSMAN!

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

not necessarily a sport

more of a hobby

"sport" = (in most cases) a definitive winner based on scoring of the game

hunting = i just like go, hunt, camp, have fun, and drink beer in no particular order; i dont have fill my tag to consider it hunting

JimmyA

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom