Ironhorse Classic

BeanMan

Long Time Member
I'm supposed to ride the IHC from Durango to Silverton Saturday. The weather report looks kind of crummy but I'm geared up and ready, they will have to close the road to stop me. 52 miles, 7200' feet of climbing. piece of cake, I hope.

Long as that ain't a peddle bike I agree....piece of cake. If yer peddlin, that'll change my opinion of ya beanman!:D

I'm peddling DW, wouldn't have it any other way. Keeps me in shape for all the other things I enjoy.

I thought an iron horse was a train. I was thinking that sounded fun until you said you were peddling. Now it sounds stupid.

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

Beanman, it would be a lot more pleasant to take the narrow gage steam locomotive from Durango to Silverton. There is a restaurant in Durango not far from the railroad office, I can not remember the name, that serves the best roasted duck with a cherry sauce I have ever eaten. Great steak and chops also.

RELH

I Helped a PEDDLER a couple days ago fix a Flat Tire!

Make sure your Tires are good Beaner!:D

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

>I thought an iron horse was
>a train. I was thinking
>that sounded fun until you
>said you were peddling. Now
>it sounds stupid.
>
>[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I
>just stir it.[/font]

And just to make you four wheels on the road types happy: US HWY 550 will be closed from Durango Mountain Resort to Silverton from 0800 to 1PM for the bike ride!

Durango to Silverton That is one steep SOB. I could the other way around "Silverton to Durango".

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Good luck Beanman

I assume you have driven that route before so you know about Molas and Coalbank - good luck and hope the weather cooperates. Maybe the anti bikers will stay home - we have a few here that don't have much respect for those that choose to get in shape by riding the two wheels. Most of them are about 50# overweight. Are you also riding in the Ride the Rockies bike ride? They are climbing over the Grand Mesa again this and stopping in Hotchkiss.

Aceman

Thanks Ace, I've ridden the Ironhorse before. This will be the first time I am carrying a small pack with goretex pants and jacket though. I'll be farming when the ride the Rockies goes though. I'd like to ride it some year.

I finished, not especially fast but got it done. There were snow showers from Purgatory on with headwinds. Got a bit of windburn

Good going Fred. You have my respect.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Good luck, Beanman! I, too, am a turtlehead and would like to try the IHC someday... Have you ever done the Mt. Evans Hill Climb? It's on a my bucket list.

Congratulations, that's one way to get in shape for hunting season. Riding in a snowstorm, impressive.

Aceman

Songdog, I haven't been on the Mt Evans ride, it's the wrong side of the divide for me. I spend more time on my mountain bike than the road so there is just too much to ride to get it all done.

LAST EDITED ON May-25-15 AT 00:04AM (MST)[p]Claude,

The night before I had a light pasta dinner. For breakfast a bagel, egg and a bunch of fruit especially kiwi, probably two hours before the ride. I carried two empty bottles with Hammer HEED mixed with Hammer Perpetuem. They were empty because I didn't want to carry weight since there were five aid stations with fruit and water and I had the extra weight of a wingnut pack with Kuiu Chugach jacket, goretex pants, and goretex gloves and fleece hat. I didn't need the pants but used the rest. I filled and drank bottles one at a time as well as extra water at each stop along with a half banana at three stops. I also drank one mix of heed and perpetuem before starting the ride. I had three jell packs too which were a big help on the nasty climb up to Coal Bank in the snow and wind. I was the only rider wearing camo.

And two microbeers and a hamburger with fries at Silverton.

I was a little hammered when I got into Silverton but cured that pretty quick. My Kuiu chugach jacket worked out well with the very large pit zips and four way stretch.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom