Invasive Aquatic Species Checkpoints

slamdunk

Anyone else trying to enjoy the Utah waters seeing this to be an enormous burden and non effective way to even slow down spreading invasive species?
Last night at Deer Creek after an evening of busting bass, I get directed on the ramp to pull over and lower my engine so the (what appeared to be an 17 year old, very under educated girl) water can run out of my lower unit before I left the State Park. There were another dozen boats enjoying the same task. When I asked if I should pull my plug to drain water, she had a puzzled look on her face and replied "sure, why not". Then I decided I'd better open my livewell gates and let any water out that may have been in there. She acted dumbfounded like she' had never seen a bassboat before and all the placed they can hold water.
My thoughts were.....How is this effective at stopping or even remotely slowing down invasive species spreading when the people actually doing the inspections are totally blind and uneducated in what and where to look for potential trouble?
And what a bottleneck at the ramp, wow!!!

Hey PIUNK!

Glad to hear you're out and about SMACKIN the Bass!

Same thing here with Jr's Bass Boat!

Or any Boat for the matter!

Are you telling me you can do a 100% Guaranteed Flush on Inboard/OutBoards or any Boat Engine for that matter!

I'm all for Protecting Our Waters but JUDAS!

Here's my Thoughts:

Whatever's gonna Spread is gonna Spread & there Ain't a lot you're gonna do to stop it!

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

These "inspectors" don't even know how to inspect!
And why is draining the engine water so important? That water is already hot and probably been hotter than the 150 degree water they flush your boat with! They should be more concerned about livewell, bilge water and wake board bladder tanks than water being run through a hot engine!!

I was up on the Gorge last weekend and had to stop at the Evanston weigh station for a complete inspection, then again at the Lucerne ramp!!

>These "inspectors" don't even know how
>to inspect!
>And why is draining the engine
>water so important? That water
>is already hot and probably
>been hotter than the 150
>degree water they flush your
>boat with! They should be
>more concerned about livewell, bilge
>water and wake board bladder
>tanks than water being run
>through a hot engine!!
>
>I was up on the Gorge
>last weekend and had to
>stop at the Evanston weigh
>station for a complete inspection,
>then again at the Lucerne
>ramp!!
>
>
>

Ya!

They've been clamping down around here the last few years!

They can't check every Boat!

Not every Boat Owner is gonna Obey the Rules!

Some of this Crap has moved it's way from Back East to here & I haven't seen one single State Stop/Prevent it from Spreading!

I Guess Birds Don't Spread anything anymore Huh?

Sounds like she is a prime candidate to transfer to Border Patrol. It doesn't matter how many invasive species get through down there.:D

Eel

Falls into the same realm as a class to collect sheds. Makes everyone feel cosy while accomplishing next to nothing.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>We hit Jordanelle Reservoir tonight and
>I got the full fledged
>super douche of my boat
>by the DNR!!
>
>
>

So PUNK?

You Got Hosed?

Yes, I got hosed in every cavity!
It seriously cut into my time on the water by an hour of prime fishing time!
Next time I think i'll just lie and say I aint been on any other lake!

OK PUNK!

Couple of Very Important pieces of the Story missing here?

Was the Smart Gal that checked you at Deer Creek Cute?

If So,did you get Pics?

And Finally!

Were the Fish Biting?:D

Did she get offended when you asked her if she'd ever partied in an "ass" boat before?

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

LMAO!!!
She appeared to be a whopping 17 at best, kinda homely looking gal.

And Wiz....I did mention that my "ass boat" goes so fast it'll; blow her top off!! :p

We all need to take these sorts of things very seriously.
We don't have to like them.

The reason we use so many pesticides in agriculture is because of invasive species. Name a pest problem, insect or weed and it is almost certain that they were introduced.

Same thing is happening with our waterways. My hope is that the inspection process will become better at detection and more streamlined. Take it seriously though.

Utah does offer an online course on the DWR wedsite which might ease your pain. Beanman is right about taking invasives serious. These little SOB's WILL cost you plenty of cash and more time if they get more out of control. DWR's and most every other states main goal is public education and awareness. Do your part please... Become an educated boater and it sounds like you got plenty of aquatic invasive species "edumacation" recently.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

Hey PUNK!

Did they get a little Nervous when they Checked your OutBoard & it looked like this:

4819mussels.jpg

I'm all for doing everything We can to Protect Our Waters Guys!

But to Think We can Prevent the Inevitable & Police 100% of the Boaters from Spreading this Crap just Ain't gonna happen!

Too many TARDS to Police out there!

Deer Creek Reservoir is Full of Mussels & it's a Drinking Water Supply!

So they didn't Prevent it from happening at Deer Creek!

But they Think they can Prevent it from Happening at Jordanelle which Ain't that far away & the same River connecting the two?

I know!

I know!

I'm not a Certified Biologist!

But JFP!!!

Maybe my humorous tone made it sound like I'm not taking this serious, most definitely I am and do take it seriously. The point of my post was to imply that the state isn't taking it serious enough hiring obviously very untrained young people to do the actual inspections.....the girl didn't know whether to decontaminate my live wells??

>Maybe my humorous tone made it
>sound like I'm not taking
>this serious, most definitely I
>am and do take it
>seriously. The point of my
>post was to imply that
>the state isn't taking it
>serious enough hiring obviously very
>untrained young people to do
>the actual inspections.....the girl didn't
>know whether to decontaminate my
>live wells??
>
>
>

They gotta know what a Live Well is first PUNK!:D

Many years ago I ran in to an officer that thought is was a Place to hide the 'Live' Bait!:D

The girls putting the tags on at Bull Frog are cute.

And Park Service and your DNR where inspecting every boat at
Dangling Rope last week end. They were very professional in my opinion. They were using the optics to watch for the drunks changing captains at the fuel docks. Saw some girls having hard time coming in. We dodged a bullet/ticket as only one of our fire extinguishers was not expired. I get the old ones on the tractors she gets brand new ones on her boat.
They had one woman doing the stupid human tricks, she failed from my training and experience.
I was a very vocal PLICK and was telling your DNR to search all the COLORADO boats!!! Making friends where ever I go!
Once again Utah's DNR at least the one that inspected us was a class act it was a positive interaction. Hate the fact Powell is now positive.
Here in Gunny Colorado the gill lice are now in the Kokanee and this week we found yellow perch in Taylor...The Quagas cant be far behind.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom