Interesting reflection.

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-08 AT 04:00PM (MST)[p]Well, today I had the priveledge to be a part of the final tribute to my grandmother as we all said goodbye for now to her. It is interesting to reflect back on her life for me and many others that knew her. Normally I would not be inclined to mention this in a public forum but I consider many of you to be good friends and think you'd be interested in some of her life.

My grandmother lived to be 98 years old, she would of turned 99 in august. She was born and raised in Utah, spending much of her life teaching school in Carbon and Weber counties. She taught the 4th and 6th grade. I remember she related one occasion at school where she confiscated a live hand grenade from one of her students. (This was shortly after WWII and many forms of contraband like grenades made their way into the country and many a soldiers foot locker)

My grandmother lost her husband over 30 years ago and lived independently up until the age of 94. She drove a car up until that time also. Ironically, fears of her being a danger to others was never realized but it was a newly licensed driver who ran a red light breaking grandmothers hip and ultimately ending her driving career. Grandmother also never really retired. She worked on at least a part time basis her entire life. She was on her way home from work at 94 when she was struck.

Grandmother along with my grandfather founded a small company that grew from nothing but sweat equity and became quite and achievement, still in opertation today some 60 years later. In her final four years grandmother had to live in an assisted living enviornment. Her mind remained sharp and she was always eager to help another. Unfortunately she slipped and fell over the weekend breaking her hip again and ultimately ending her mortal existance.

It is amazing to me to reflect on the life lessons that I've gleaned from her over the years. Being born in 1908 she had seen and heard everyting. She went from an era of necesity and lived to an era of luxury. She saw two world wars, a great depression, assasinations and attempts of presidents and world leaders, saw the early developement of airplanes to NASA landing probes on distant planets. She saw the change from mechanically operated type writers and adding machines to an era of digital mega computers. But through it all she stood by several simple principles of life that ultimately go unchanged.

Some of the most important lessons I will remember from her are treat others as you would like to be treated yourself. When you are in the service of you fellow man you are truley in the service of youself and your Lord. Don't waste time feeling sorry for yourself. Rise early, take care of your body, and always put in an honest days work. Never retire from your responsibilities or allow your mind to sit idle. Be strong in the convictions of your fatih. Remember that miracles from heaven generally do not come in the form of angels from the heavens but rather through the service of one neighbor to another.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them. --Ronald Reagan

Sounds like a great lady who lived long enough to see a lot of things change. Glad you got to be part of her life and learn from her wisdom. Condolenses on the loss.

Thanks for posting this. My Condolences. What a long interesting life. It made me think a lot, we had a farm lady just down the road who just died last fall at 91 she was pushing back brush with a tractor when she backed into an auger pinning her an leading to her death. That's the way to go the way your grandmother and this lady did live life to the end. Best of luck to your family in dealing with the pain of the loss.

Thank you for that very inspirational tribute to your Grandmother. She is proud of you, I'm sure.

My father was placed into an assisted living home two months ago. When I go to visit him I have the privelege to meet other old folks who are in the same situation. It's sad and a blessing at the same time. I now realize what a treasure these people are.

Eel

"I now realize what a treasure these people are."

It's a shame these old timers aren't taken better care of. Caregivers need more training and more money. Prescription costs need to come down and benefits need to be better.

We just buried my 97 year old grandmother and the memories just come flooding in. Good times. Thanks for the post and condolences to you.

My grandmother lived to be 98 years old, she would of turned 99 in august.

Being born in 1908 she had seen and heard everyting.

She sounds like a great lady, I just think she might have been older than you give her credit for being. Sorry for your loss.

Good observation....age is right year is wrong...she was born in 1909. Not sure how I got '08 on there.

1911, we can only hope that when our time comes we have a fine grandson like you to pay tribute to our lives. Revel in the things your Grandmother saw but don't discount the wonderful times you are living!

RUS

Thanks for sharing your snapshot of her. She sounds like an incredible lady, and celebrating her life is the proper thing to do.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-08 AT 11:36PM (MST)[p]I'm sorry for your family's lost. Your grandmother reminded me of mine who passed away at 94 and was a very independant lady like yours. The wisdom they passed on is by itself worth everything, the love and compassion that went with it was the icing on the cake. Some of us have very big shoes to fill when it comes our turn to be grandparents. Thank you for sharing the memories.
RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom