Interesting legislation for a new hunt...

CAelknuts

Environmental groups are already lining up in protest of a proposed congressional bill that is hoping to repeal the 1972 Marine Mammal Protection Act. The goal of the newly proposed legislation is to reopen a legal seal hunting season on the West Coast of the United States.

?The original bill was created with good intentions, but has unfortunately created more problems than solutions,? said Thomas Coughlen, the lobbyist behind the new bill. ?The original law has outlived its usefulness and needs to be reevaluated.?

The legislation, known as the Controlled Seal Population Plan (CSPP), would introduce a lottery-style hunt were a select number of hunters could pull tags to partake in a seal hunt.

According to Coughlen, the need for this law is three-fold. First, it gives property owners and businesses the right to protect their property from damage caused by marine mammals. The cry to remove sea lions from areas where the mammals cause damage to waterfront property has been heard for years and is the primary objective of the proposal. Secondly, by creating a draw system to apply for hunting tags of designated species, CSPP will help individual states raise money to rebuild damaged waterfronts and marine environments. Finally, controlling seal populations is crucial to rebuilding endangered salmon species up and down the West Coast.

James Harbaw, dock master of the famed Pier 39 in San Francisco, has been fighting for this movement for years as seals have continually wreaked havoc on this tourist attraction. ?Nearly all of our docks have been destroyed by sea lions over the past 10 years,? he said. ?It is illegal for us to disturb them to protect our property. It has been a very frustrating experience. I have been fighting with the government to introduce this sort of a controlled hunt for years. You can rest assured that I will completely support the new legislation.?

Not every marine mammal will be available in the Controlled Seal Population Plan ?tag lottery? but those on that list include sea lions, harbor seals and walrus. If the CSPP is voted into law, supporters of the bill said they will move to create similar legislation to open up a limited hunt for common dolphin.

While hunting tags will not be issued for dugong, manatee, and other cetaceans, if the new legislation is passed, these species will no longer be ?protected? under the Marine Mammal Protection Act.

?This is great news,? says Matthew Flinn, a hunting and fishing guide based in Seattle, Washington. ?We have watched sea lions destroy our salmon fishery for years. Now we can apply for hunting tags to legally take them as trophies. I know this will be unpopular among environmental groups, but they really need to come and see the damage caused by these disgusting animals for themselves before judging us and our people.?

Recreational fishermen are all too familiar with the trouble that marine pinnipeds represent. Not only do they damage healthy fish stocks, they also make fishing in areas with substantial seal populations nearly impossible.

Sea lions are abundant in most marine environments in California and the Pacific Northwest and certainly not endangered. Introducing marine mammals into this category will provide additional revenue streams to individual states and exciting hunting experiences that to date have not been available.

?Hey, elk are mammals. Deer are mammals, and we can hunt them. Why can't we hunt marine mammals?? Flinn asked.

Several national gun-rights advocacy groups and hunting organizations have already shown their support of this controlled seal hunt proposition. But, more research is still needed.

Hunt sea lions? Deal me in, but I think there would be a learning curve. You would almost need to catch them on land and anchor them before they could get into the water or you would risk losing them. They sink when shot in the water (or so I've heard:))

I'm not sure what seal blubber tastes like but the Eskimoes seem to like it. A seal skin rug would be cool

CAelknuts, are you pulling our leg? LOL

Eel

"?The original bill was created with good intentions, but has unfortunately created more problems than solutions,? said Thomas Coughlen, the lobbyist behind the new bill. ?The original law has outlived its usefulness and needs to be reevaluated.?"

"The original law has outlived it's usefulness...!"

I wish this new Bill was in relation to our Mt. Lion vs Deer problem! just sayin.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Nah eel, don't wait for em to beach, just don't notch that tag till you're able to retrieve one of em.

These are the Pacifics version of sage rats! They could kill all you see and there would still be too many! I know because that is the way commercial salmon fishermen did it way back and they are still here and they were never "Endangered"

Billl

Kill the buck that makes YOU happy!

When I started commercial fishing for salmon in 1980, I never lost a salmon to a seal or sealion the first 3-4 years. Most fisherman would carry a stainless Mossberg shotgun with buckshot. I doubt many got killed but it sure scared them. In the early 90s, after i sold out and moved up here, i went back a few times with my partner. The law had changed even though you say 1972, the penality had gone way up. The damn things would follow you around and steal the salmon before you could get them in. Typical numbers if you were fishing close to shore were 7 out of ten salmon hooked were eaten by seals/sealions.

Just a simple 10-22, from a rocking boat, in rolling seas, would disuade them to follow someone elses boat. That throw-away gun as worth hundreds a day.

Yeah, my dad used to fish salmon in the 70's and he had his fill of those buggers. Said he had one big male follow him and clean him out every fish hooked was bitten off in the mid section but he kept popping up out of range of the .22 so dad reeled the lines and traveled a pretty good distance (several miles) in a fairly fast little Dory and put the lines back out and started fishing, sure enough first fish hooked and that plick was back to eating. He just reeled it in and went home.

I remember as a kid sitting with dad up high on a bluff that overlooked the ocean and shooting at sea lions in the ocean far below at almost a straight down shot. He and every other commercial salmon fisherman I knew HATED sea lions! Still do! Even though they dont salmon fish much any more.

Bill

Kill the buck that makes YOU happy!

call me crazy but i dont think i would find sea lion hunting that all appealing.then again people probably say the same about cottontail rabbits and i hunt them

While fishing the Rogue river for salmon a some years back, I witnessed a fishing guide shoot 2 seals. Neither one sank. They both barrel rolled out to sea but then again both were shot in the head. I couldn't believe it. The guide did not know who the hell we we're but shot anyway. Ballsey if you ask me. After the second one he shot he yells over "that's number 17". That river was loaded that's for sure.

I learned a lesson while salmon fishing at Winchester Bay, Oregon. Do not, I repeat, do not put your salmon on a stringer in the water beside the boat. damn seal took the bottom of the three salmon on the stringer. My fishing partner thought for sure I was going to shoot that damn seal as he followed our boat.

I came close but did not do it.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Apr-11-12 AT 05:57AM (MST)[p]There no different then a wolf, cougar, coyote in the circle of life. If man wants more food he needs less predators competing for it.

Im all for a seal hunt but I want a white one.

I also know the seals are only one part of the problem with the salmon going endangered. I think the real problem is the Indians who are collecting them during the spawn in fish wheels by the thousands and there selling the eggs as caviar. I saw this first hand in Alaska and it made me sick. I think if a fish makes it to its spawning grounds they should be left alone to do their thing or be captured and artificially spawned like we do at our reservoirs. Everyone else in this world when it comes to catching a salmon has a limit. The Indians don't seem to have to follow these rules!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom