Intentions Lost....?

Jagerdad

Very Active Member
Anyone else lose track of Intentions for Hunting Season...?

Thank's to many of YOU, I have been thinking of Hunting Season "Constantly".

My Daughters do most of the Deer work so I bought a GoPro Black HERO 4. Then I saw the new GoPro Sessions and bought 2 of them. Then.... I saw accessories and bought most all types. Rifle Mounts, Mounts for your Butt... everything. I totally lost track of the Hunting... and am engulfed in figuring out how to use all this stuff so Memories may be captured.

Losing Track of the true Hunting may have guy's buy ATV's, Tent, Coolers, etc... all sorts of things "For The Hunt".

I have a watchband type remote and the smart phone remote for the Cameras. So may things to learn my head hurts. Technology and luxuries have a hold on me. Something similar ever happen to you...?

Jagerdad :)

well....I don't have a range finder, a bipod, a turret..., or a gopro, ....but I did buy a triple crown 20 guage and used it on the dove opener....it is cool gun.

I love getting new gear. Not so much camera stuff, just upgraded backpack gear or knives, guns, boots etc. Anything to hunt better, when I get it or am researching it I obsessively think of how it will slightly improve my hunting. So I guess no I've never lost intention of hunting.

Nope...just buy my resident tags...clean and sight in rifle...grab binos...have sharp knife..go huntin'......

I am not the type to get swallowed up in all the latest hype for gear, electronics etc.... I still have gear I use from when I was kid before I left for the Navy! That was 20 years ago! Heck a knife I have is from when I was 12 and won it! If I buy something I expect it to last a loooooong time and don't feel all the "new stuff" will make me a better hunter. Yes that stuff looks cool and may make it nicer but I am still the same hunter. Plus all this new stuff costs so much! I don't have that type of money.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

OLD SCHOOL HERE........I DONT HAVE ANY OF THAT HORSE CRAP. I STILL CARRY A COMPASS, MAP, BACK PACK, RIFLE WITH REG. SCOPE, 10X42, MEAT BAGS, LITE KNIFE. WOODSMANSHIP IS IMPORTANT TO ME, NO GPS.......I USE LAND MARKS TO NAVIGATE THE FOREST" TRAILS, STREAMS, AND ROCK FORMATIONS. I HAVE ANOTHER 10 YEARS TO HUNT, NOT GOING TO BUY ALL THAT CRAP NOW. STILL HAVING FUN TOO.................YD.

After reading the replies, I am sure I gave this Post the wrong name ( lose track of Intentions for Hunting Season ).

Let me say it this way...On the first Hunt my Wife joined me on, I had planned to go alone and her jumping into the Truck at the last minute was nice. We get to the camping spot and had camp set, then she asked...."Where's the Food"...?

I alone = Ok but how do I feed her...? The only food I brought was a Pheasant. I go out and shoot Tree Squirrels, she skin's them and I carefully slice tiny bits of fat, off the sides of the Pheasant to act as Grease to fry the Squirrels. Best meal we ever ate. Some 40+ years later we are still together and it is my Daughters doing the shooting. Grandchildren far to young.

I suppose I have taken on the role of Camera man or, support figure even if not required. My Girls have a standing joke to not allow Dad (me) to even carry a snub nose 38 Off Duty type gun or, Dad will accidentally kill the largest Buck....and running from 2000 yards away.

So folks, my Apologies; I entitled the Post wrongly. I'm just buying junk to do something. Maybe some good footage will come from it all...?

Jagerdad :)

J-dad,

Good for you.

Never was very good writing in a journal, but I bought a little Sony Handicam about 3 years ago and recorded my kids' hunts and kills.

With a decent movie production program to edit the footage and added music I was able to make some fun movies of their hunts. It's been a great way to capture and relive something that would have faded over time. Never posted any videos on the internet...just kept it for personal/family consumption. I've re-watched these movies many times in the off-season. AND the kids have found that reliving these moments makes them want to do it more.

P.S.
AND with the editing and music...it seems to have been more fun that it actually was. ;)

I do not have an editing program. I Thank You for your reply.

I have boxes of 8mm sound cassettes that we do not know how to play on the TV.

I have a 2007 Sony Camcorder. My wife took pictures SINCE 2007 and never off-loaded them. The 60GB HD held so many years of videos and pictures.

You seem to understand the joys of filming the kids. If there is an editing program to use or, not use, let me know.

I wish such devices as GoPro's were around when I was young. Back then I spent a fortune on an Elmo Super 8 w/sound.

See... I entitled the Post incorrectly.

Jager, I use GoPro Studio for my editing. It's a free download on GoPro website. You can clip, cut, add titles, music, slow motion, fast motion, fade, export, blah blah blah. :)

There are some YouTube videos that walk you through the steps.

I'm going to be trying to put together about a 4-5 minute video of my deer hunt this year.

>Jager, I use GoPro Studio for
>my editing. It's a free
>download on GoPro website. You
>can clip, cut, add titles,
>music, slow motion, fast motion,
>fade, export, blah blah blah.
>:)
>
>There are some YouTube videos that
>walk you through the steps.
>
>
>I'm going to be trying to
>put together about a 4-5
>minute video of my deer
>hunt this year.
guessing you need to purchase a go pro for that to be free?

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

mntman... I don't understand many things but here on the following GoPro link: https://gopro.com/help
it is Free. Over on the Left is a space for software and app. It brings you to: https://gopro.com/help/GoPro-Studio

Download "Studio" and play using any video you have. Maybe it will work...?

The GoPro HERO 4 Black was $500 and I bought for another $100, the warranty plan. At the time I didn't understand what a "Sessions" was. I got Two of them at another store. In retrospect, a person could get one of the Sessions then use the Free Phone App to control it afield. One neat thought would be to place it someplace within 600 feet from where a Hunter is, and have a video on his/her phone showing, lets say a trail that Game must come up/down before they are visible to the Hunter.

This basic system can control and view from 50 different "Sessions" Cameras located in as many places. At $200 per Sessions Camera 50 would be expensive as a play toy but one or a few is possibly justified when matched to other Hunting costs.

I am not advocating guys should do such. The two Sessions I have may be mounted on the Rifle one pointed at the face/body of a Daughter and one facing down the Barrel towards where game would be. The larger GoPro HERO 4 Black would be on a tripod or, carried by another person. Endless options.

The wristband control operates camera but has no viewing screen. Its your cell phone that has the viewing screen. Its like watching TV and once it is stopped, it becomes a saved video.

mntman, I didn't have to register a camera or anything, so I think it's free to anybody. It may only work with GoPro video, is what I was thinking.

eel... I would like to see a Video of you standing up, in your Kayak and, Surfing ashore on an Ocean Wave + wearing your Speedo since Locke is out, they may contract with You :)

I decided in 2011 to document my dad's rifle deer hunt in the Book Cliffs. Since then, I decided that photos and film of outdoor adventures will come in very handy one day when my dad, or I, can no longer go into the hills after game.

I have an 85 year old grandfather that can't leave his house. About once per month I take videos of the Big Muleys on Antelope Island over there so he can see them. It pretty much makes his entire week.

I know that hunting simply, without electronics, has its benefits, but sharing my experience with others is half of the excitement for me. :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

I wish I could afford to keep up with the technology these days. I am always a few years behind the new stuff (if I even get it) I keep my hunting season simple. I write a journal every year to capture all the experiences as well as what time it got light enough to shoot, how cold/hot it was, what I ate, how far I hiked, etc, etc.It is funny how many of the little details you forget between hunting seasons. I alway's pull out my journal in September and refresh my memory of the details that became blurry .

This year, I am muzzy hunting on a general season tag. I purchased one of those in lines with a variable scope on it. Shot out to 200 yards with great success. Looking forward to using the new equipment on my up and coming hunt!

I also acquired a vintage Remington slide action 30.06 this year from my uncle who purchased it brand new in the 60's (I believe). The gun is in excellent condition, only been shot a couple dozen times in its life. Even though I have a 300 RUM that I love, I plan on using this 30.06 on my elk hunt because of the sentimental value it holds in my life. I think it would be awesome to kill a few animals with this gun and keep it in the family while it generates a history.

I consider myself a sentimental guy when it comes to hunting stuff. Heck, like every year in the past since I started hunting, I will be rocking the one piece camo suit that my mom made for my dad over 45 years ago. Real tree ain't got nothing on my old, faded, tattered camo that I will never stop wearing! It blends in better than any camo on the market!

I'll bet because of my incorrect title, many guy's here and on other forum titles are missing this.

BrowningRage; YOU are Special. To use family money and take pictures & video is one giant step in uniting generations of family members. As we men Marry and build a Family, we are creating History yet, never ponder it quite that way. I lost my Father at below age 10 and as I grew, I cried often wondering where he had been, gone, did. Possibly such is why I began capturing pictures with a Kodak 110 and worked very hard to avoid the temptations to buy a gun or ammo and instead, get better Photo gear. Before California outlawed Trapping, I ran a line every morning. I bought an Elmo Super 8 Sound camera that I used for recording the events on the Trap line. Once fairly good, the viewers saw a Colt 22 slowly appear into the screen and sights align while a Trapped critter was unaware I was there. Then the gun fires and the critter is instantly dispatched. This and much more was highly well received by our Children who had heard of such. The bigger key is dedication they saw in Dad, getting up every morning at 4am, running the Trap line then returning Home with just enough time to shower and drive to my Swing Shift job, 3pm to 11pm, sleep 12am to 4am & repeat. Saying to kids yah walked up hill to AND from school doesn't sink in but watching the Movies of the Trapping ( + hey look, Dad had hair and was thin ) sure made the investment feel good.

I brought a Movie & Projector & Screen (remember such days) to a friends Bachelor Party. After the 2nd time they saw the Colt Handgun slowly appear, they all began shouting, as a large single voiced group the following " Pistol....Pistol....Pistol " and stomping their feet. For many years after wards, Guy's from that Party would chant; " Pistol....Pistol....Pistol "....and staff around never knew what our laughter was about.
I upgraded later to a Sony 8mm Cassette camera capturing endless Christmas mornings and events. Now in the family most of the children also capture events and our equipment(s) have improved. No item I ever bought has generated so many laughs and tears, as a camera/video system. BrowningRage , The kindness and respect you gave to your Grandfather is highly respected by me.

BLooDTRaCKeR, Obviously, I am also a sentimental guy. My Son knows of a Rifle I have used all my life and he will treat it as special all his life. BLooDTRaCKeR, I respect the manner you intend to use, protect and share stories with insofar as the Pump Action.

When us guy's take a second and ponder how we shall pass down the things and events in our life to our children, the expense of video equipment may seem attainable. There is still all the hassles of caring such then thinking about the filming when our true desires is to spot Game & Hunt. This was hard for me and required mental discipline to film the kids instead of shooting my gun.

I hope guys chime in with their enjoyments filming Hunts and how the kids reacted in later years to/by saying "Thank You Dad" for taking the tome to make such films/video's/pictures.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom