Inflation problems

SS!

Long Time Member
Hitting the Alaska bush company tonight and inflation is a killer these days. Ain’t getting no attention throwing dollar bills around..
FEAF0020-D643-48E7-B823-A6B09BD8B534.jpeg

Been stationed in jber for a total of 10yrs and never been to the bush company. The wife has been twice for girls night. My buddy said one night or day he was getting a lap dance and one of the girls dental bridge fell out. Guess she was missing a few teeth and was maybe too high or wasted to secure it good.

What can you spend cash money on these days except hookers and blow?
Gas Gas Gas Gas that would take about 1/2 of that then groceries and your done....LOL
I remember as a kid gas was .20 a gallon so you got five gallons for a dollar. Today gas was $5.09 so I got one gallon for five dollars.
Costs $100 in gas just to go fishing today

I would steal gas before I would try to pay for it with cash. Can anyone even count change anymore?

It was 25 cents when I used to put it in the tail light of my ‘56 chebby.

I would steal gas before I would try to pay for it with cash. Can anyone even count change anymore?

It was 25 cents when I used to put it in the tail light of my ‘56 chebby.
In the 60s, we had the 'gas wars' in Phoenix. There were times where we were selling regular at my dad's place for $.19 a gal. and had lines a 1/2 mile-long waiting to get in at 27th Ave. & Indian School.

In the 60s, we had the 'gas wars' in Phoenix. There were times where we were selling regular at my dad's place for $.19 a gal. and had lines a 1/2 mile-long waiting to get in at 27th Ave. & Indian School.
That's close to where my in-laws lived for years. Went back a few years ago and boy had that area went downhill

The last couple times I was at Garcias on 35th they had armed security in the parking lot.:oops: It was worth it though.

The last couple times I was at Garcias on 35th they had armed security in the parking lot.:oops: It was worth it though.
Aaah, fond memories. That was a weekly stop during the '60s when I worked as a 'fireman' in the pits at Manzanita. I haven't been there in decades, though. I wonder if the food there is as bad as at the franchise locations.

Last edited:
Do you remember a sprint car driver named Fawcett? Famous for rolling ALL THE WAY down the front straightaway at manzy. I used to work with him. Just a touch off.?

The food was always good there, but I haven’t been in probably 10 years. I became addicted to Carolina’s green chili and never seem to have the time to go anywhere else when I go to the big city.

Do you remember a sprint car driver named Fawcett? Famous for rolling ALL THE WAY down the front straightaway at manzy. I used to work with him. Just a touch off.?

The food was always good there, but I haven’t been in probably 10 years. I became addicted to Carolina’s green chili and never seem to have the time to go anywhere else when I go to the big city.
Where is Carolina's at? I love green chili it's the best

He must have been later. Once I quit the fire detail, I didn't pay a lot of attention to the races.

At one point, we -- Tony's Gulf -- sponsored a stock car for Paul Marciano. He did really well & eventually went on a team to drive a super mod in '67. During his rookie season, he & Hank Arnold collided while battling in a heat race. Arnold's car, known as the "Twister," went into the air, flipped & came down on the top of the wall with the wheels pointed upward. Arnold was killed instantly. If I recall, even though he wasn't faulted for the accident, Marciano never raced again.

I didn't know of Carolina's. :(

He must have been later. Once I quit the fire detail, I didn't pay a lot of attention to the races.

At one point, we -- Tony's Gulf -- sponsored a stock car for Paul Marciano. He did really well & eventually went on a team to drive a super mod in '67. During his rookie season, he & Hank Arnold collided while battling in a heat race. Arnold's car, known as the "Twister," went into the air, flipped & came down on the top of the wall with the wheels pointed upward. Arnold was killed instantly. If I recall, even though he wasn't faulted for the accident, Marciano never raced again.

I didn't know of Carolina's. :(
Did I mention they are a take out joint? They do to-go online orders. I can’t do anything more but drive it to your door.;)

Did I mention they are a take out joint? They do to-go online orders. I can’t do anything more but drive it to your door.;)
I checked. There's one about 7 miles away at 90th Ave. & Peoria. I'll have to check if it's better than Popo's, which is where we migrated to after LaPerla's in Glendale shut its doors a few years back.

I checked. There's one about 7 miles away at 90th Ave. & Peoria. I'll have to check if it's better than Popo's, which is where we migrated to after LaPerla's in Glendale shut its doors a few years back.
I'm in a Carolina's hood and a very frequent visitor (y) Mexican is my favorite and I could probably eat it everyday. Bummer LaPerla's is gone... didn't know. My favorites are gone as well. LaCucaracha aka The Roach & LosCompadres both locations..... all muerto

I'm in a Carolina's hood and a very frequent visitor (y) Mexican is my favorite and I could probably eat it everyday. Bummer LaPerla's is gone... didn't know. My favorites are gone as well. LaCucaracha aka The Roach & LosCompadres both locations..... all muerto
Yup, like Garcia's, LaPerla was a staple in the valley over about 50 years. It was only two miles from us, so we did a weekly visit. I remember LaCucaracha but only ate there once with Jim & Vicki Talon.

We started eating at Popo's when we lived near 52nd. Dr. & Thomas in the 1960s. The original Popo's was at 67th & Indian School. My youngest son, Scott, who lives in TX, makes it his business to visit Popo's when he first arrives & before he leaves. If he's here more than a few days, he probably eats there at least 4 times.

Never tried Popo's or ate at Garcia's more than a few times over the years. I suppose it's mostly location & proximity to where you live. We frequented Jordan's a lot (it's still around & Joe J. is a hunter). Occasionally MacCayo's. Valle Luna is currently very good! Carlos O'Briens is somewhat in the hood but never cared for them at all, no matter what dish you ordered it was piled up with a pound of cheese. No shortage of great Mex in the valley.

Never tried Popo's or ate at Garcia's more than a few times over the years. I suppose it's mostly location & proximity to where you live. We frequented Jordan's a lot (it's still around & Joe J. is a hunter). Occasionally MacCayo's. Valle Luna is currently very good! Carlos O'Briens is somewhat in the hood but never cared for them at all, no matter what dish you ordered it was piled up with a pound of cheese. No shortage of great Mex in the valley.
There's now a Popo's at 59th & Bell. My daughter lives near that one & eats there often.

Funny story about LaPerla. Jack Mostyn, one of my HS classmates who I've mentioned here before for his track feats, became an Irish Christian Brother (ICB) & wound up as an envoy of sorts. He was 'stationed' at the Vatican for many years, then he came back to the states and traveled to the various ICB enclaves. They had a few brothers here in Phoenix.

Jack & I had also gone to grade school together, so we were good friends. Sometime in the late 1980's, he was dispatched to visit Phx. He emailed me & we set up a meet. He rented a car, drove to my place & I took him to LaPerla for a late lunch. He had never eaten Mex. food before. I broke him in with a bowl of red menudo, then a cheese crisp with green chile on top & finally a plate of steak Vera Cruz -- tender carne asada with shrimp in a tangy red sauce with green chiles, onions etc. We added a couple maragritas, as well.

For years after, every time we talked or met, he would bring that up as one of the best meals he's ever had. He eventually found a place in NJ to get Mex. food but told me it wasn't that good. Last time I saw Jack in person was at our 50 yr. reunion in 2009, but we still email back & forth to this day.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom