In search of Wolfy

H

HKShooter

I'm heading to Idaho in a couple weeks to hopefully get a crack at a wolf and check one off my bucket list. I understand they are hitting the herds pretty hard right now. If anyone is willing to help point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. Please PM me if you care to share any info. Thanks a ton and nice job Broncos on TCU.

HK

I have seen plenty of wolves in unit 28. Go up Iron creek road (Hwy. 93 Elk Bend) to Peel Tree Rd. Then anywhere in the general area all the way to Sheep Horn lookout.. Also....Cabin Creek Rd. to Ringle Rd. and hunt Ringle drainage from top to bottom. I have seen more towards the top of Ringle. On either road you will need chains,a quad or snow machine. I was up there 3 weeks ago for archery deer and the snow was scrapping the skid plate on my quad. I saw lots of wolf tracks and heard them howling. I talked to my neighbor yesterday in Elk Bend and he said they got a foot of snow on the ground, so that means it's probably 2 feet deep up Iron Creek Rd. The deep snow will push the deer and elk down now (they were still up high 3 weeks ago)and the wolves will follow.
Good Luck......kill a wolf/fill your tag.
Paul

There is a locked gate at the end of elk bend unit 4 with "no trespassing" signs. I would like to find the owner of the land to ask for permission to get to the bottom of ezra gulch and hat creek. Access into the forest there would be awesome. Lots of elk and deer and unfortunately wolves.
Paul

Thanks a ton. I've heard if you can track down the Ranchers/Owners and they are more than happy to let you go smack a wolf down. Call a Title company or a local Realtor buddy or go to the County Office to find out who owns what. I really hope getting rid of a few a these critters helps Idaho's herds. I'll be heading that direction Sunday....stay tuned.

HK

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-10 AT 09:59PM (MST)[p]Try units 6,9,10, 12.
St Joe river drainage runs for miles and is still open for wolves. Access is good this year as the snow pack is nonexistent. Northfork of the Clearwater river is wolf central in North Idaho. You will need snowmobiles or atv with tracks to get to this remote location. Good luck!

www.elk101.com

"Winners make commitment, Losers make excuses.

Try the canyon going to Elk City. We heard wolves every evening howling when we where whitetail hunting. Good luck, I hope you wound several before you get one.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom