in market for new binos

H

HWKEYE308

I am looking at a pair of leica's but would like opinions for what brands are equal or if not better for the money. This would be my first pair of higher end optics. I also would like to know what power may be best the 10x or 12x? I figure the stronger the better but i have also heard that buying the 12x people get eye strain when glassing for hours. I am located in nevada so that gives you an idea of what kind of country that i am glassing. Any help would be appreciated so i make the right purchase the first time.

Thank you

Best thing to do, if you can, is actually try out various binos. Everyone's eyes are different, and what might be great for someone, might not work for you. It will also give you a chance to actually hold them and see how the feel in your hands and how the feel rested up against your brows.

In my opinion, any of the alpha glass will work for you. Youre willing to buy Leica, so you've already decided to purchase top binos.

I'm speaking from experience. I "thought" I knew what I wanted...just from what my buddies told me, and reading various online threads. Then I went into a store and tried them. I've since changed my mind 3 times already!!! LOL

In my situation, the Zeiss looked and felt the best to MY eyes. So now, Im patiently waiting for the new Zeiss Victory HT 10x42 to hit the stores. Im hoping these work for me. Otherwise, I'll be purchasing the Victory FLs.

IMO, 10x42 are perfect all around western glass. Paired up with a quality spotter, you'll have a nice set up.

Good Luck!

+1

I was all set to buy a pair of Leicas. Tried several different brands and models and ended up with Swarovskis. Gotta see how they fit your eyes and your hands...

If you are going to carry a spotting scope, consider the 10x for a wider field of view. If not, then the larger magnification might be better. Again, look through the beasts and see if there is enough difference to make a difference to you. Regardless, if you are going to spend hours glassing (I'd recommend it), then invest in a good tripod and adapter as well. Even if you use a spotting scope, get an adapter to put the binos on the tripod too.

On another hunting forum, a few that have looked through the new 12x50EL are wanting to trade in their 15x56 Swaros.

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://www.plateaulightphotography.com/
The-Wave-9-15-10edited_210.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-09-12 AT 12:09PM (MST)[p]The only way you use a 12x is on a tripod, 100% of the time. If you need carry bino's, then 10x is max. I prefer 8x or 8.5x, but I usually have 15x on a tripod also.

I agree with others about feel, but all things equal, I like Swarovski's customer service much better and some research on here will back me up I believe. All three of the Alpha brands(Leica, Zeiss, and Swaro) are worthy of consideration.

Do not compare in a store, or in front of store at noon. Need to be in the field, preferably at sunrise/sunset, for comparison.

PS Awesome pic redrabbit.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom