Important info for flying with guns

DonVathome

Very Active Member
FYI, and if someone feels this incorrect please chime in.

TSA locks are not acceptable for locking your guns. You must have a lock only you can open. TSA locks do not qualify. I have seen a lot of misinformation and wanted to clarify this so no one has the nightmare time I had trying to get to POW AK a few years back.

From TSA:

The passenger must provide the key or combination to the screener if it is necessary to open the container, and then remain present during screening to take back possession of the key after the container is cleared.

I am curious if this has changed recently though?

I also found this:

Travelers can use a single key or combination lock to which only the traveler has the key or combination, or a TSA-recognized lock. For more information about traveling with firearms, please read our Firearms and Ammunition Web page.

There are actually 3 different places on TSA giving info, and in the pst they used to say that it had to be a lock only accessible to you, and I was NOT allowed to use TSA locks.

Currently I use combo locks AND carry TSA locks in with the guns just in case.

I think I am changing my advice to have both with you, I have heard of TSA locks not working and I have heard of combo locks getting cut off. Go figure.

I have been told(2 guys that travel up to alaska) that you can use a Hard sideed GOLF Club Case for your guns also(stick extra clothes, Boots,Bino, and such in with you gun and it ok to be used as a gun carrier on Airline. Now if this is true WHY wouldn't you just buy a Golg club Case and save a $20-$40 charge on extra bags. I haven't been able to find out if this is true or not from the airlines. Anyone know the facts.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

You are absolutely right! At least, as far as Delta goes. Buy a combination lock that YOU can open for security. I was conned into buying one, by a salesman at Cabelas.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom