Imnaha area, scouting/trailheads?

S

Steelers

Heading over to the Imnaha area to do some hiking/scouting end of may,beging of june.Looking to explore new area for archery,hard worker that wants to be able to get several miles in, tired of all the crowds. Anyone have some insight on any trailheads,or area to start.Not looking for anyone's honey hole,or spot just an idea or a starting point.Willing to put in the work and effort.

did you send me a pm also? couldnt get into my inbox for some reason. was curious what you meant by best of luck?

You will not get away from the crowds! If anyone says you can they are full of BS! There are too many trails and trail heads that that all go into the same areas. There are some areas that you hike 8 miles in from one trail head, and then you find out you are only 3 miles from another!

The wolves are running the elk around that country like crazy!

Best of luck means just that! Good luck!

Damer, thanks for info. That sucks! What about the snake river unit? Heard its pretty rough country, any idea if that area draws a crowd also?

Rough country, and heard there is lots of people. I don't spend much time there. With all the wolves in the Imnaha more guys will probably start going to the Snake. The wolf problem is really that bad.

Steelers,

I've only hunted the Imnaha once, but I'm willing to share. We parked at the Tenderfoot trailhead and hunted in from there. I would also try the Indian Crossing trailhead and the McCully trailhead.

I don't know that you get away from the crowds, but that is mostly perspective. We saw more elk and fewer hunters than we were used to in W.WA, so we were happy. The farther we hiked in, the more horse camps we encountered. So, if on foot, you may want to find that happy medium between the day-hunter's range and the horse camp that is packed in 10 miles. That is a narrow bandwidth.

I'm either headed back there or over to the Snake River unit again this year. I've ridden horses in the Snake River unit, but not hunted there. The outfitters and hunters I've talked to all say about the same thing: you can't escape other hunters, but the harder it is to get to, the lonelier you'll find it. Not a lot of news in that advice.

Shawn

Back
Top Bottom