I'm thinking of getting a boat.

stinky

I'm thinking about getting a boat. I'm not sure of what kind that I need. For the most part, I don't fish. I want it to access my hunt'N area. I just want to use it to get to my area to hunt...not hunt out of it. One of my former Marine buddies, for whatever the reason thought that I want to duck hunt out of it. Then, he finally got the idea that I want to use it to get to my honey-hole...correct, I want it for clandestine insertion (that he understood).

Preferably, I want to be able to go back up stream, but it could also be used to get wet (put it in the river), float down, hunt the other side of the river, and then float down to a dif spot to get out.

Also, I'd use it to float down the river, once in a blue moon. That brings us to another issue, fluctuation of flow. The thing will possibly be used in high water, to dragging on the bottom. I want be running rapids, per se, but 2-3' swells. My Marine friend says that I want to avoid a john-boat (which he has, and swore that it was what I need, until I got it through his thick head of what I wanted it for).

I'm looking at an aluminum or fiberglass boat 12-14' and probably V hull. Orrrr, a canoe. I wonder if those types could be used on the river, and how much motor it would need to go back up stream.

I talked to another guy, a canoe purist. He has done the Grand Canyon, twice and has otherwise canoed just about every navigable stretch of water w/in 300 miles of here. He is pretty much an expert (if you don't believe it, ask him) and he is even an expert on stuff that he has only done once. He says they they run the river all the time on regular boats. At first, he said that is what I should get. Then he said a standard canoe w/a motor adapter and that a 2-4 HP motor would move it just fine. He also said that I should avoid a square stern canoe (and based on what he said, I think that it is what I should be looking for) as they are a pig in the water (I want to stay dry, I've been thrown out before), are heavy (15# extra, whoop-dee-doo) and are wider (all reasons that a purists would hate one, but reasons that would make it more desirable for a goober, like me, that is using a motor). He says that plastic is the way to go (actually, the new high-tech stuff, that is a plastic-laminate-plastic sandwich). I tend to agree w/that. He also said, AL drags on rocks. Now, that is data that I can use. But, my Marine friend says Al can take a lick'n (like a Timex) and keep on going. He said that fiberglass is more fragile.

At the moment, I'm thinking of a standard plastic Old Town canoe, w/a motor attachment and out riggers to keep it from tipping. I note that Cabelas has em in their catalog for $220 (and I can't imagine why anyone would buy something of such a simple design). They would keep the thing from tipping.

So, what do yall (youse guys) think? V-hull, or canoe? AL, fiberglass, plastic? Square stern.

As a side note...how is trolling motor power measured? I see them listed from 30-50# of thrust. What does that mean?

John 14:6

get a strong trollin motor, the higher the number the stronger it is. a 60 pound thrust will push u and the boat up stream good. just remember u need a real good battery for it. as far as a boat i dont know what to tell u. good luck

LAST EDITED ON Dec-24-10 AT 01:28PM (MST)[p]One with a hole in the bottom of it? J/K

Edit Thought you were stinkeystomper? LOL

I'm a big guy. I had a 13'(pvc) OD Town canoe and made my own outriggers out of heavyweight pvc pipe and 8" tubes for the actual pontoons. It all came apart easy and was light enough to store in the canoe for transporting to and from.

I hunted ducks out of it and my Chessie was no problem getting in or out. I used a 60 # trolling motor and it worked fine.....also on a home made bracket. It is impressive how fast it will push you upstream.

I had two men, a BIG dog and a chitload of junk in it most of the time, with no problem. I doubt a deer would be any issue....a dead deer anyway.

My soundest advice....tie a milk jug to ANYTHING you don't want to lose. You will eventually sink, tip over or swamp ANY boat under 20' long.

PS; a canoe is the only boat you won't lose money on when you go to sell it.
Have fun!

Canoes are inherently unstable. Flat bottom john boats are great in shallow draft areas but typically have low gunwales and don't take 2-3' swells well

From what you described I would get an 12-14'inflatable

B bust
O out
A another
T thousand

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-24-10
>AT 01:28?PM (MST)

>
>One with a hole in the
>bottom of it? J/K
>
>Edit Thought you were stinkeystomper? LOL
>

LOL, good one.

I have a 10" Avon inflatable. The thing has a plywood floor and will float in a few inches of water, like 3". It will hold up to 10 HP outboard. Fits in the back of my truck, between the wheel wells, inflated.
I'd get rid of the wife before I got rid of that boat.

wapati, 10'' inflatable??? is that for the lake of the bedroom? just razzin ya bout the punctuation

Some how Stinky I don't see you and QTpie in that type of boat. I was thinking more along these lines -

212h2_1.jpg

9863h2.jpg

86h2_cabin.jpg

8855h2_cabin_1.jpg

2027h2_cabin_2.jpg

Maybe a little hunting around Santa Rosa Island might be in order if you ever catch the bug for sailing one of these :)

Merry Christmas !!!

Pete

c3 Stinky ,and stinkystomper are too different people, unless QTip is married to two different guys.

Stinky,

It sounds to me like a rowing dory would be the answer for our part of the world. A friend in Palisade has one and we've used it on the Colorado in winter for waterfowl and coyotes. I'm saving up for a dory.

Boats are too much like women...lots of maintenance, money pit, and there's always a newer better one out. Also like women, don't get your own, use someone else's.

Traditional >>>------->

Sorry stinky, I got the wrong guy :(

My pics kind of mess up your post.

Merry Christmas anyway
Pete

Coleman Scanoe, 15'8" with squared off stern. Take a motor or thruster to push you around. Ten inches wider than regular canoe and very stable, made of Ram-X plastic and indestructible. Find used ones for $300-400.

Now sweat on the confusion. It seems to happen sort of regularly. I also note that some guys like to give SS the "business"

Nickman, 8" outriggers, how long were they?

Beanman, I am thinking of the Gunnison, going down towards Delta, or the Colorado, W of Loma.

John 14:6

Sounds to me like your describing a drift boat. I use mine for lots of stuff. Pretty versatile. 8 hore merc pushes me up river pretty well if it's not too swift.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

Stinky, you describe yourself as a goober. And you admit that you don't have much experience with a boat (me neither). Those two things when combined with your statement about using the boat in "high" flows sets off alarms in my head. I've had one very bad experience with a canoe cuz I didn't know what I was doing. In my mind it was the answer to all my dreams. In reality I damn near drowned.

All I'm saying is be damn careful. Best would be to find someone VERY experienced and learned from them. Then if you still want your own boat you will go forward armed with some experience.

Just sayin...

The outriggers I made were 8 feet long. I used the caps that screw in and could put fishing rods inside when traveling. There is way more than enough bouancy to stabalize the canoe.

I made the whole system adjustable and easy to take apart.....used a LOT of bungee cords!

"....you'll shoot your eye out kid!"

Stinky,

If you are going to float during higher flows I'm pretty sure you don't want a canoe. A good inflatable or a rowing Dory would fill the bill.

Nickman, you said you ?had? a canoe that you made outriggers for?I assume that means you don't have it anymore. I am curious about your set up and how you made it, do you have any pictures of it? It sounds like a really great idea.

GBA

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom