If you saw a wounded buck on the highway...???

B

bbentley392t

LAST EDITED ON May-18-12 AT 07:16PM (MST)[p]How goes it,
I rarely take the time & effort to start a new topic or reply to a post here, unless it's something that is either genuinely bothering me or infuriating...in this particular case it's somewhere in the middle. I work at the 'Skyline Coal Mine', located just South of Scofield Reservoir and North-West of Price...during the 50 mile drive to & from work every day I along with my colleagues see a lot of Elk and Deer on the side of the highway and unfortunately we lose a lot of these animals to collisions with vehicles, and even I myself am an accidental contributor to that problem. One morning last week after getting off of graveyard shift, just North of the town of Scofield I noticed a small buck laying right beside the highway...my first reaction was I found it odd for a deer to be laying there as opposed to standing & feeding, so I flipped my truck around and went back to have a look. Turns out this buck had just been hit and survived the ordeal, he looked pretty beat up with blood covering his head and missing one of his fuzzy antlers...I could tell he was in too much pain to care I that was even there, he just looked at me as if to say "please put me out of my misery". Having encountered this same exact situation with a cow-Elk a couple winters ago I took the same steps as I did back then, but much to my surprise upon what I saw on my way to work this evening...I'm really upset and wonder if my concern was even justified or worthy to begin with.

The particular day in question when I found this battered buck was a Sunday morning, I knew that no one would be answering phones at the DWR office in Price so instead I called the UHP branch in town...I began to explain the situation to the dispatcher on the other end and she assured me that she would contact either a state trooper or county sheriff to come 'take care of the deer', I didn't want someone else to get too close and spook the buck causing another accident. My initial thoughts were that whoever it was that arrived on the scene would finish off the buck, would then take the next steps to make sure that the meat from that buck would be donated to a local family in the community that needs it...rather than wasting it by letting the carcass rot beside the highway. Turns out I was entirely too trusting & optimistic, because on my way to the coal mine tonight I saw him again...only this time bloated and rolled over, exactly the opposite of what I had anticipated would take place. So with all of that said, I'm asking the rest of you sincerely...am I over reacting or were my thoughts & concerns rational and justified, in hopes that someone of authority would naturally have the same inclination towards utilizing the meat for someone in need...or do you think my call went completely ignored by UHP and no one even bothered to show up and the deer died on it's own?

you made the right call by call'n in the wounded animal to UHP in hopes they would put him down.

WHP is great to work with in that respect.

never put any down myself but have cut a couple deer outta right-of-way fence's.

"keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back"

Never been in that position, but I think I would have put him down if I had my 45 with me. Waste of meat yes, but a least he wouldn't suffer a slow death. Down side would be the waste of meat and possible trouble with the law, but if I were that deer I would hope someone would pull the trigger on me. No right answer on this one. Your actions were probably the best option. At least you tried. Most people would keep on driving and not care.

I actually had my .380 in the truck with me, and believe me the thought to end it out of pity & sorrow definitely crossed my mind...but as "sensitive" as this may sound it was really breaking my heart watching the little buck lay there half-alive suffering in pain. It was just barely 6 in the morning on a lonely & desolate stretch of highway up in the mountains, chances are no one would have ever known outside of God & me...but as I sat there in my truck on the edge of the road watching him struggle to even lift his head, the polarizing fear and paranoia of being charged with 'poaching' set in and that's when I pulled out my phone and called UHP. Knowing what I know now, that my call essentially went ignored and did no good whatsoever...I look back and think to myself that I should've just put the buck out of his misery as opposed to suffering like that. I don't know, like you said it's a complicated situation...and that's exactly why I wanted the opinions of others here in the forum, thanks to the two of you who've responded thus far.

Tough to say man but I think you made the right choice because anymore the dwr isnt lenient with anything so even if you would have put it out of its misery (which is exactly what the dwr would have done had they responded to your
call) if you would have got caught they would of charged you with poaching. So persanally I think you made the right choice

I have been in yoour situation before only it was a doe. she beddedd right by the road my buddy and i thought it weird and went back it tried to get up and it did but it was dragging its back end and it sounded like her whole back end was shattered, could hear her whole back end just clicing and popping. sounded like taking a bag full of legos and shaking it up it was disgusting and still bothers me to think about it. i did not have a gun with me that day...

also i was on a job shadow with a wildlife biologist and we came across a fresh hit deer laying in the road. he was paralyzed and could not move. it was on main street in town. we pulled the deer off the road and put it down. it was pretty awesome to be with the right person when it happened luckily that deer didnt suffer too long waiting for the right peolple to get there.

another time i was out looking for deer came across a badly injured buck not sure what happened to him he stood 10 feet from the truck and looked bad but was able to barely stand and move around. pretty sure he got hit by a car or sometihng. i had my .44 mag with me and i sat there for abount 2 mins contemplating, i cocked the hammer back put my finger on the trigger aimed and sat there like that for a min or two and decided not to risk it. i was very close to putting him outta his misery but chose not too. i have no idea what came of the buck but i figured since he could at least somewhat stand and move i could not pull the trigger. had he not been able to stand i beleive i woulda done the right thing. ive never regretted any of the decisions i made

You all know what the law states, you all know what you should do in any given situation... As far as the meat situation goes, after a deer gets hit by a car the whole deer is going to be bruised and bloodshot plain and simple. Its not common practice to pick up roadkill and try to donate it for that reason... Its a bad deal for sure but after a animal is hit by a vehicle there really isnt anything good left... Dont fault the authorities for leaving it lay until their annual pickup...

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

i went through this exact thing a few months ago with a doe that had been hit.. it only busted her back end and she was making that death noise they do. i felt really bad for her. it was dark and i didn't want her to go back into the road and get hit again. so i called the local sheriffs office and told them they advised me they would have someone right there... 1 hr later there was still no one there. i carry concealed and had my xdm on me so i got sick of hearing her walked up to her and pulled my gun just then they showed up before i could put her down. the sheriff came up looked at her and shot her 3 times in the guts only to piss her off and make her suffer more. i told him to put one in her head and stop the madness. he assured me that this was his first time. after she was done he tried to right me a ticket for brandishing my gun and attempting to discharge a firearm in city limits. then made a call the dwr to turn me in for poaching. i am sure you can tell how i reacted towards him. i think you do the right thing when we all know the right thing would have been to put him down and have it donated rather than waste it and let him suffer.

So if guns kill people, I suppose pencils misspell words, cars drive drunk, and spoons make people fat...

Well it sounds like you made the right call. However that being siad in Alaska churches and other orgenizations can sign up on a list for the Troopers to contact when a moose gets killed on one of the roadways. I know its much larger then a deer but theres a lot of meat that goes un wasted there from the moose that get killed on the side of the road. I have passed people butchering up a moose on the side of the road before with the trooper there. You might have waited for the Highway patrol to get there and asked him for some back straps but I would have let him do his job.

Just this spring a guy I know was coming back from coyote hunting in Northern Utah and was behind a truck that hit a doe. The doe was completely mangled, but pulling itself by its front legs and crying out. It was terrible to watch and hear (I think anti-hunters don't understand that hunters hate seeing animals suffer, but that is a different thread).

He had a .22-250 with him and knew he could get in trouble for putting the deer out of its misery; but for him, the "right thing" was to put the deer down and hope the law didn't find out and if a cop did show up it was one who understood. He stood next to the truck until no cars were around, then quickly pulled his rifle out, shot the doe, and jumped in and sped off. It all worked out for him. And if he saw the same thing again, he would do it again. Watching a deer suffer in agony like that is unbearable.

But I understand why some people don't take the risk. There isn't a "right" or "wrong", we just have to make a decision and live with it.

Grizzly

You did the right thing.

As far as wating the meat, If the deer was as beat up as you say, It probably wasn't good anyway.

I experienced this exact thing about 7 years ago. My son drew one of the Youth Any bull tags, and we were hunting in late September up near Flaming Gorge (Thanks for the guidance, Robb!) and we came upon a small 6 pt. bull that was laying in the borrow ditch alongside the road, with his back broken. He was laying upright, and tried to get up a number of times, but his backend was paralysed.

My son and I were sick at seeing this, and I decided to put the bull out of his misery. Just as I was in the back of the cab, pulling out my .338, a pickup pulls up and the guys inside advise me that I can be cited for killing that elk. I was thinking WTF? How can anyone have a problem with someone doing the humane thing and putting such a magnificent animal out of his misery? The guys explained that in Utah, that is the law. Then, they suggested my son shoot it and tag it. That was the lamest thing I'd ever heard, there was no way my son was going to shoot a crippled elk, tag it and take it home.

I ended up getting a cell phone signal and called 911. I was able to get connected to fish and game, and ultimately to the local game warden. I told him where to find the elk, he came, shot it and loaded it up to take to a food shelter.

The bad thing was that this bull had to lie there an extra 30 minutes or more beyond what he'd have suffered if I'd simply shot him and had them come pick him up.

If no witnesses, I'd shoot any animal I came across that has been hit. I once hit a doe mule deer near Broadus, Montana at about 4:00 in the morning. She was really messed up bad, so I got out my .270, shot her in the head and drug her off the road. I felt bad about hitting her, but not about ending her suffering quickly when it was obvious she wasn't going to recover.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom