Identify this Owl

BeanMan

Long Time Member
Because I can't...

My Wife took this a couple of days ago in front of the house.

Wildlifepics096.jpg

Bean--it is for sure a long-eared owl. A common owl in some areas but not really in the west. They typically in habitat wooded draws in the mountains and in riparian areas out here. In the winter time your likely to see them most anywhere.

Nice picture for sure.

Todd Black
BTO

Thanks everyone for the ID. I had looked at some picutures and thought it was probably a long eared owl.

How many of you hunters moticed the fresh buck rub on the aspen limb it is sitting on?

Definitely a long-eared. I used to think that they weren't very common, as Todd said, until I started looking for them. Turns out they are very common, at least in the area Bean Man and I live. I've found over 40 long-eared nests in the last 2 years.

That's a nice photo. Here are a few photos I've taken:

LEOW1-2.jpg

LEOW1-1.jpg

LEOWnest.jpg

Mama.jpg

LEOW2.jpg

LEOW1-3.jpg

LEOW3-1.jpg

LEOW2rpt.jpg

Colorado Oak,

Very nice. It looks like the pictures were taken a little above The Grand Valley in altitude judging by the trees.

Yep, 6000-8000'. But long-eared owls are somewhat common in the dry washes in the Grand Valley as well, nesting in magpie nests in salt cedar.

Is it just me or does every owl look like they are spring loaded in the pissed off position? They freak me out!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom