Idaho sheep hunting access

J

Jago

Wondering if anyone has info on access to sheep units RM26, 27-1, 27-2, 27-3, 27-4 or 28-1. Have no horses so will be on foot.

Welcome Jago!!!! glad to see you made it.:) if you dont get much help with this post here. try putting it in the "Idaho" forum.

Good luck. I've been through most of unit 27 and it is grueling. Strategy will really depend on what tag you draw. It is a desolate wilderness. PM me if you need any details.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-09 AT 04:04PM (MST)[p]These areas can mentally break a man. I know it sounds wierd, but they can. No matter how you do it you'll have to plan on a 10 mile hike in and then 2 weeks of hunting rough stuff. Horses or an airfield can help, but only for a bit.

I know Brymoore knows what I'm talking about, read your story on HT the other day. In fact, you, Moose, and T-Bone are responsible for me not getting much sleep the last few nights. I found that site and have read all the Idaho sheep stories over and over. The pics and video is great. Those guys are freakin animals. Instant respect right there.

On another site a guy went into unit 27-1 and ended up finding a ram and killing it on day 4. Great story and writeup. He had to be flown out. Not many score in 27-1 so anyone who does has my respect as a hunter. In fact, if you have scored in 27-1 I give you more respect on a 160" ram than I would someone on a "breaks" ram that goes 200". Nothing like working hard for a trophy.

I also know of a story on another site of a guy that went into 27 with horses. It started to snow so they got out of there and he never ended up hunting anymore. What a shame for the tag and guys like me that would kill or die for these tags.

26 is a bit more like an open sheep area than 27-1. There is a good writeup on this area in another site. Anyone who wants a link to some of this PM me.

Anyways, these areas are tough. I've only hiked through them and fished at some lakes in them and there is this wierd desolate feeling you get. It is very different than most wilderness areas I've been. I like it personally, but I find after a few days it hurts my ears it is so quiet. I guess I'm just too accustomed to the concrete jungle. :)

You can get into 27/4 up on Loon Creek summit by truck . I don't know how many sheep you'll see but they have been there in years past. Hasn't been much snow up there during deer and elk season but that could change any time. Don't think you'll see any down along the Yankee Fork.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom