Idaho Sheep 36B

Cozmo8

I just received my notice that I drew a sheep tag in Idaho for unit 36B. Anyone know the unit or have any advice?

Congratulations. Good unit. Going guided or unguided? If guided, call Mike Scott with White Cloud Outfitters. They are the best, and get great rams for their clients. Take a good hard look back in the Hat Creek area, or over the top in the Meyer's Cove area for a place to start.

I am going to try it unguided. I have heard that Mike does a great job and have talked with a client of his from a previous hunt who harvested a decent ram. It is interesting that you mention the Hat Creek area and Meyers Cove as the biologist had not had these places high on his list. I will defintely take a look at them. Thanks for the advice.

Those are sometimes "pressure" areas, and you never know. There will be lots of scouting going on, and you can bump them from one side of a "core area" to another really easy. We have seen them right from the road going over Morgan Creek Summit also. The bio's have been pretty free with their info lately, and gave a friend all the harvest locations for the last several years in Unit 27 for his tag this year. They may do the same for you.

When you say that they are pressure areas does that mean that this is where they go when they are pressured? I would think that most sheep hunters would try to keep a buffer zone from the rams before the hunt so they wouldn't run them around.

I spoke with another biologist today and he did give me harvest locations, this is good info if the hunters in previous years were honest. It looks like the harvest is pretty well spread out.

The game warden for the unit is in the backcountry until Sunday so I will give him a call next week and after that I think it will just take a lot of time and a lot of luck. Are you going with your friend that drew the tag in Unit 27?

Thanks again for the posts it helps to talk with someone that knows the unit.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom