Idaho?s First Wolf Hunt Wraps Up

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
At the end of the day Wednesday, March 31, Idaho?s first regulated wolf season closes statewide.

The season already has closed in seven of 12 wolf zones, and as of March 29, hunters have taken 185 wolves. The harvest limit is 220.

?The season has succeeded in halting the growth of Idaho?s wolf population,? Fish and Game Director Cal Groen said. ?It showed that Fish and Game is capable of monitoring and managing a well-regulated wolf hunt.?

The hunt also showed that fears of wholesale slaughter of wolves were unfounded, Groen said. Hunters exhibited good compliance with the rules and with check-in and call-in requirements.

Idaho Fish and Game set wolf harvest limits for each of 12 management zones. The season closes in each zone when the limit for that zone is reached, or when the statewide limit of 220 wolves is reached.

Idaho Fish and Game sold 26,428 wolf tags in 2009 ? 25,744 resident and 684 nonresident tags.

Harvested wolves ranged in size from 54 to 127 pounds ? males averaged 100 pounds, and females averaged 79 pounds. Of the wolves taken, 58 percent were male, and 15 percent were juveniles less than one year old.

About 86 percent of the wolves harvested were taken by resident hunters. Twelve of the wolves checked in were wearing radio collars.

Most wolves were shot in October and the fewest in January. Two wolves were taken in the Southern Idaho zone, and 49 were taken in the Sawtooth zone.

At the end of 2009, Idaho had a minimum of 843 wolves in 94 packs, and 49 packs are considered breeding pairs. The average pack size was 7.8 wolves. A total of 142 wolves are radio-collared.

In addition to hunter harvest, 138 wolves were killed in livestock depredation control actions and from other causes.

For more information on the wolf hunt in Idaho, visit the Fish and Game wolf management Web page: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/hunt/wolf/.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

who believes 185+138(323) dead wolves is going to even come close to "halting the growth" of idaho's wolf population?

who believes there are 843 wolves in idaho today?

who knows some factual information about what % has to be killed each year to maintain a certain population?

>who believes 185+138(323) dead wolves is
>going to even come close
>to "halting the growth" of
>idaho's wolf population?
>
>who believes there are 843 wolves
>in idaho today?
>
>who knows some factual information about
>what % has to be
>killed each year to maintain
>a certain population?

Idaho just finished a wolf season for the love of God and you're bitchen because?????

How many wolves were shot and wounded or shot and not claimed?

We could play this all day.

How many did you kill? Let's see pics.

I'd consider yourself lucky. Wyoming is still watching from the sidelines. At least you got your foot in the door. That's a big step.

>What do you call 323 dead
>wolves in Idaho?
>
>
>A good start.
>
>

No kidding!!! And people still complain that it is not enough!!

Considering the economic and ecological costs the wolves have brought upon us.......no, it's not even 20% of enough. Actually 5 times that many (1500) would be about enough.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I agree, there is probably more need, but hey it's a lot more wolves out of the picture than there would have been with no hunt.

Its a good step n the right direction! Sounds like a fun and challenging hunt, from the stories I read.

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Personally, I'm grateful for the opportunity to hunt wolves. They are high on my bucket list. I hunted 2 solid weeks for the giant carnivores. I snowmobiled, snowshoed, hiked, called and covered hundreds and hundreds of miles. Most nights I slept out there, hoping to hear one, but I never did. I saw 3 the entire time, but that was a real treat. I'm telling you these are crafty critters. I liken them to a big cat...you know they are close, but where? I didn't get one, but if there is a next year, I'll be there.

I wish they weren't wiping out our herds and I wish they weren't here at all. But given the fact that they are going to hang around, I'm very thankful to be able to hunt them. Thanks IDFG.

HK

You're right about at least a few wolves being gone (less than were born, however). I did my part by "getting one".

Within the shadows, go quietly.

HKShooter were did you go? I got a few suggestions for you next year if they keep it going

THANKS KNOXVILLE.....I DO PLAN ON GOING NEXT YEAR & WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A COUPLE OF PRODUCTIVE SPOTS TO TRY. PM ME IF YOU LIKE, LOOKS LIKE THE SAWTOOTH AREA MIGHT BE A GOOD STARTING SPOT.......THANKS.....YD.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom