Idaho Prepping For Wolf Hunt!!!

PleaseDear

Long Time Member
<<<Idaho Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter recently directed Idaho Fish and Game to prepare to resume wolf management.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is expected to publish a delisting rule soon, as directed by Congress.

Idaho Fish and Game is getting ready to assume management when the rule is released. Already biologists are updating wolf population and distribution estimates provided by U.S. Fish and Wildlife and the Nez Perce Tribe. That information shows an estimated minimum of 705 wolves in Idaho at the end of 2010 in about 87 packs, at least 46 of which were documented as breeding pairs.

Fish and Game biologists will present updated information to the Idaho Fish and Game Commission at the May meeting in Lewiston.

Fish and Game will develop and present options for a fall wolf hunt to commissioners when they meet in July. Commissioners may adopt a harvest strategy at their scheduled August meeting.

It is still uncertain when wolf tags would go on sale.

Fish and Game also is evaluating actions to resolve the elk mortality and calf survival problems in Lolo Zone. Federal approval for a proposed wolf control action would not be required following delisting.

In 2009, Idaho proved it could conduct an orderly wolf hunt. Hunters killed 188 wolves, achieving 85 percent of the 220 wolf limit set by the commission.

Only two citations on wolf hunt violations were issued statewide.>>>

Anyone hear if Montana is about ready to do the same?

Robb

Sound and reasonable thinking has finally prevailed over this issue of protecting wolves. Let's hope Idaho and other target states are soon
able to introduce wolf seasons.

Eldorado

LAST EDITED ON May-04-11 AT 11:42AM (MST)[p]i am happy that it appears i will have a tag in my pocket soon. this hunt isn't a " gimmie " i hunted them a good bit the last season. they are very cagey. unless you can spot the alpine ones above the timber they are very hard to harvest. i think one tag should be good for ten of them in case you run into a pack.......

I found this article today. Sounds good!!

Wolves removed from endangered list in Utah, other Western states
May 4th, 2011 @ 1:19pm
By Dennis Romboy

WASHINGTON ? Gray wolves in several Western states, including Utah, will be removed from the Endangered Species List, the Department of the Interior said Wednesday.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services will reinstate a 2009 rule delisting wolves in the Northern Rocky Mountains, which include Idaho and Montana and parts of Oregon, Washington and Utah. Congress directed the action in its 2011 appropriations bill passed last month. The rule will be effective Thursday.

"The gray wolf's biological recovery reflects years of work by scientists, wildlife managers, and our state, tribal, and stakeholder partners to bring wolf populations back to healthy levels." Interior Secretary Ken Salazar
?Like other iconic species such as the whooping crane, the brown pelican, and the bald eagle, the recovery of the gray wolf is another success story of the Endangered Species Act,? Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said in a press release. ?The gray wolf?s biological recovery reflects years of work by scientists, wildlife managers, and our state, tribal, and stakeholder partners to bring wolf populations back to healthy levels.?

Fish and Wildlife and the states will continue to monitor wolf populations and gather data for at least five years under a post-delisting monitoring plan.

Earlier this year, the Utah Legislature approved a resolution urging Congress to remove wolves from the list.

During Senate debate, Sen. Chris Buttars, R-West Jordan, said animals have "ups and downs, but a wolf is a killing machine, is a killing machine, is a killing machine. That's it."

The proliferation of wolves the past few years threatens the Utah economy, particularly in agricultural areas, said Sen. Allen Christensen, R- North Ogden. Not only are wolves hurting rural jobs, they are taking a toll on wildlife and livestock, killing pets and threatening people.

Christensen said state wildlife agencies are better prepared to manage wolves than the federal government.

Email:[email protected]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom