Idaho Pioneer Zone

P

PMbowman

Let me start this post by saying hello to all MMers, been checking this site out for a while. I posted earlier in the spring about this hunt area in Idaho . I hunted this area back in 1986 and was successful on a nice bull. I don't want any ones sweet spots just wondering if the area gets a lot of pressure during the archery season. Last time I was there had the area to ourselves. I used to hunt quite a bit but haven't in 15 years so I'm willing to share what ever info that I know about elk in units I've been in even thou it maybe outdated ( NM 15 and 16a). So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and wishing everyone a great season

pressure has increased the last three years dramatically! I'm sure there are areas to get away though because the country is so big. Good luck!

Go on the f&g website, look at the success stats. It will give you the hunter numbers for each zone. That will give you an idea of pressure.

I was up there a couple of weeks ago, and I couldn't belive how thick it is. Mid to low elevations were unhuntable. imo

Hey gentlemen Thanks for your input . Deerlove when I was in there seemed like those elk liked the lower sagebrush areas to feed early and get water . Would catch them on the way up to beds of course they were very vocal back in the day. From what I read now on the forums is they are pretty much silent. Did you see much sign of them down low?

There are elk at all elevations, all over that unit. The farm fields get hit hard by the elk, so they have a depredation hunt for cows on private late fall. I have hunted the pios the last two years. Elk could be found anywhere. The thing about hunting the pioneers is the steepness of the country. It is very demanding terrain. With some hunting time, I would suspect you can see some elk. The tough part is the 3000 feet up to them, and their general uneasyness with the wolves in the country. Last season, I chased a herd over a 10,000 ridge. When I got to the top, the elk were above the mountain goats on the ridge. It was a butt kicker!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom